LeBron says Iverson pound-for-pound probably the greatest ever

Oct 29, 2013, 9:58 AM EDT

Allen Iverson Sixers Getty Images

Allen Iverson is one of the most influential players on the current generation of NBA players. Yes, Jordan gets mentioned, and younger players talk about Kobe Bryant but Iverson’s fearless style on and off the court has a lot of admirers.

Put LeBron James in that group.

Talking about Iverson’s official retirement Wednesday when the Sixers play Miami, LeBron heaped praise on Iverson Monday, as reported by Tom Haberstroh at ESPN’s Heat Index.

“Pound-for-pound, probably the greatest player who ever played,” James said of Iverson, who will retire in a Sixers pregame ceremony ahead of Wednesday’s home opener against the defending champion Heat.

LeBron did the same thing in a recent ESPN the Magazine interview.

“I watch Jordan more than anybody for sure,” James said in ESPN The Magazine’s NBA Preview Issue. “But I’ll watch tapes of A.I., too. I don’t take anything from A.I.. Well, I do — his will. They say he was 6 feet, but A.I. was like 5-10½. Do we even want to say 160? 170 [pounds]? Do we even want to give him that much weight? And he played like a 6-8 2-guard. He was one of the greatest finishers we’ve ever seen. You could never question his heart. Ever. He gave it his all. A.I. was like my second-favorite player growing up, after MJ.”

Throw Dwyane Wade in the category of big Iverson fans, too.

“One of my favorite players obviously of all time. Michael Jordan, Kobe [Bryant], T-Mac [Tracy McGrady] and A.I.,” Wade said. “Those were the ones that I looked up to coming up. I take pride in wearing No. 3 because A.I. wore No. 3.”

Iverson’s carreer ended awkwardly, but we should look back on the early days, because LeBron is right — Iverson was as entertaining a player as the league has seen and got as much out of his talent as anyone.

Latest Posts
  1. PBT Extra matchup to watch: Can Toronto keep Paul Pierce quiet on the court?

Apr 21, 2015, 12:14 AM EDT

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznptrkyze4nmfkytlhmjnjodc4mjk4mgq0nzixowuwndg2 AP

Pierce’s comments made him unpopular north of the border, but his play should bother the Raptors more.

2. PBT Extra matchup to watch: Dallas has to find a way to deal with Dwight Howard

Apr 20, 2015, 9:59 PM EDT

Tyson Chandler, Dirk Nowitzki, Dwight Howard Tyson Chandler, Dirk Nowitzki, Dwight Howard

He was simply the most dominant player in Game 1 of the Mavericks vs. Rockets series.

3. Man arrested after fight over who is better, Michael Jordan or LeBron James

Apr 20, 2015, 8:50 PM EDT

Miami Heat v Charlotte Bobcats - Game Four Getty Images

I could try to use logic and suggest that discussing the complete legacy of Jordan with the incomplete legacy of James is a fool’s errand. But this is the Internet, logic is not always welcome.

4. PBT Extra matchup to watch: Marcus Smart needs to take on Kyrie Irving challenge

Apr 20, 2015, 7:50 PM EDT

Kyrie Irving Kyrie Irving

What you want to see as a Boston fan is Smart embrace the challenge.

5. PBT Extra matchup to watch: Pelican guards need to stay with Curry, Thompson

Apr 20, 2015, 5:32 PM EDT

New Orleans Pelicans v Golden State Warriors - Game One New Orleans Pelicans v Golden State Warriors - Game One

Also, Tyreke Evans is a game-time decision after his injury in the playoff opener.

6. Clippers will rebrand this summer, new potential logos leaked

Apr 20, 2015, 4:06 PM EDT

Screen-shot-2015-04-17-at-10.35.11-PM

The Clippers need a rebranding, but the leaked images are not winning over new fans.

Can Michael Carter-Williams slow Derrick Rose?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches