Oct 29, 2013, 5:53 PM EDT
The last couple of preseason games, Patrick Beverley started at the point for the Houston Rockets and Jeremy Lin came off the bench as the sixth man. We’d written before this could be coming. It was something the Rockets had toyed with all preseason.
Yet Kevin McHale was going all Bill Belichick when asked about his starting lineup for the team’s opener Wednesday night hosting Charlotte, saying he did know who would start but he wasn’t going to announce it.
“I don’t know why it’s a big surprise,” Parsons said. “It’s the same as how the preseason ended.”
Which means Beverley starts and Lin comes in off the bench. While you may be tempted to say “they are paying Lin all that money, shouldn’t he start?” there is some real logic to this move.
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $15,000 Fantasy Basketball league on October, 30th. It’s $10 to join and first prize is $2,000. Starts October 30th at 7pm ET. Here’s the link.
Beverley is the better pure shooter — he and Lin took the same number of shots this preseason and Beverly hit 50 percent of his shots overall and 50 percent from three, better than Lin’s 47.7 percent overall and 38.5 percent from three. With James Harden and Dwight Howard on the court already you don’t need another shot creator, you need the shooting.
Also, Beverley is the better defender. What Lin can be is the sixth man spark plug — come in off the bench and run a lot of pick-and-rolls with Howard, with Omer Asik, and create shots and points for the reserves.
One other thing to note, if the starting five remain the same that means Asik and Howard are starting together as the new twin towers. At least for one game.
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Philadelphia 76ers 3
- LeBron James on Kyrie Irving: “I believe Kyrie can be the best point guard in the league.” 18
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Boston Celtics 4
- Dwight Howard’s driver’s license in Florida suspended, he racked up 10 red light violations in Orlando 13
- Tim Duncan to appear in “The Punisher” comic book 6
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New York Knicks 10
- Klay Thompson’s agent: Thompson better two-way shooting guard than Kobe Bryant 50
- Report: Greg Oden’s drinking an issue during season, alleged domestic assault 31