Oct 29, 2013, 5:53 PM EST
The last couple of preseason games, Patrick Beverley started at the point for the Houston Rockets and Jeremy Lin came off the bench as the sixth man. We’d written before this could be coming. It was something the Rockets had toyed with all preseason.
Yet Kevin McHale was going all Bill Belichick when asked about his starting lineup for the team’s opener Wednesday night hosting Charlotte, saying he did know who would start but he wasn’t going to announce it.
“I don’t know why it’s a big surprise,” Parsons said. “It’s the same as how the preseason ended.”
Which means Beverley starts and Lin comes in off the bench. While you may be tempted to say “they are paying Lin all that money, shouldn’t he start?” there is some real logic to this move.
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $15,000 Fantasy Basketball league on October, 30th. It’s $10 to join and first prize is $2,000. Starts October 30th at 7pm ET. Here’s the link.
Beverley is the better pure shooter — he and Lin took the same number of shots this preseason and Beverly hit 50 percent of his shots overall and 50 percent from three, better than Lin’s 47.7 percent overall and 38.5 percent from three. With James Harden and Dwight Howard on the court already you don’t need another shot creator, you need the shooting.
Also, Beverley is the better defender. What Lin can be is the sixth man spark plug — come in off the bench and run a lot of pick-and-rolls with Howard, with Omer Asik, and create shots and points for the reserves.
One other thing to note, if the starting five remain the same that means Asik and Howard are starting together as the new twin towers. At least for one game.
- He’s on Fire! Kyrie Irving scores 55, knocks down game winning three (VIDEO) 28
- LeBron James out Wednesday vs. Blazers with wrist injury 5
- Home-court advantage means less than ever in NBA. Why? 17
- Nikola Mirotic’s unique style rewarding Bulls for waiting on him 15
- What We Learned in NBA Tuesday Night: Bulls fans should want more of this attacking Derrick Rose 25
- Derrick Rose hits step-back jumper in overtime, lifts Bulls past Warriors (VIDEO) 8
- It’s official: Zach LaVine, Greek Freak Antetokounmpo headline All-Star Dunk Contest 11
- Report: Stephen Curry, Klay Thompson to participate in All-Star weekend’s Three-Point Contest 8