Oct 29, 2013, 1:24 PM EDT
The charges have been dropped after the girlfriend and alleged victim refused to testify against him, but there are still repercussions from Jared Sullinger’s offseason arrest for on a domestic violence charge.
The Boston Celtics have suspended Sullinger from the team’s opening night game Wednesday night in Toronto, an announcement the organization made Tuesday. He will play in the team’s home opener Friday against Milwaukee.
“Jared’s case was dismissed yesterday in Waltham District Court,” Celtics President of Basketball Operations Danny Ainge said in a released statement. “While we are satisfied that this was the correct ruling, we are suspending Jared for one game because he failed to meet the high expectations we have for all Celtics employees.”
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $15,000 Fantasy Basketball league on October, 30th. It’s $10 to join and first prize is $2,000. Starts October 30th at 7pm ET. Here’s the link.
Consider this a bit of a pre-emptive strike by Boston, as CSNNE.com’s A. Sherrod Blakely explains.
We don’t know what happened in this case. I will tell you as a guy who spent years as a crime reporter the number of domestic violence charges dropped because the alleged victim refused to testify and took the alleged abuser back is shockingly high; but again in this particular case we have no idea what really happened.
Still good on the Celtics for at least trying to send some message with this.
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 17
- Report: Suns discussing trade possibilities for Eric Bledsoe 25
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 32
- Kevin Durant reiterates that rest was his reason for withdrawing from Team USA 9
- Kobe Bryant says he will not be same player as before, says he’s evolved into something equally good 25
- Report: Agent for Greg Monroe pursued sign-and-trade deals with five teams, including Thunder and Blazers 25
- Derrick Rose sits out another Team USA practice, not likely to start Wednesday 23
- DeMarcus Cousins practices with team USA Tuesday, says he’s 50-50 for Wednesday game 2