Oct 29, 2013, 1:24 PM EDT
The charges have been dropped after the girlfriend and alleged victim refused to testify against him, but there are still repercussions from Jared Sullinger’s offseason arrest for on a domestic violence charge.
The Boston Celtics have suspended Sullinger from the team’s opening night game Wednesday night in Toronto, an announcement the organization made Tuesday. He will play in the team’s home opener Friday against Milwaukee.
“Jared’s case was dismissed yesterday in Waltham District Court,” Celtics President of Basketball Operations Danny Ainge said in a released statement. “While we are satisfied that this was the correct ruling, we are suspending Jared for one game because he failed to meet the high expectations we have for all Celtics employees.”
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $15,000 Fantasy Basketball league on October, 30th. It’s $10 to join and first prize is $2,000. Starts October 30th at 7pm ET. Here’s the link.
Consider this a bit of a pre-emptive strike by Boston, as CSNNE.com’s A. Sherrod Blakely explains.
We don’t know what happened in this case. I will tell you as a guy who spent years as a crime reporter the number of domestic violence charges dropped because the alleged victim refused to testify and took the alleged abuser back is shockingly high; but again in this particular case we have no idea what really happened.
Still good on the Celtics for at least trying to send some message with this.
- Report: Suns, Eric Bledsoe have ‘made progress’ on a new contract in last couple of days 1
- Report: Michael Beasley reaches agreement with Memphis Grizzlies 5
- Report: NBA not actively investigating source of Luol Deng African comment 5
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Indiana Pacers 3
- Celtics owner: Rajon Rondo ‘super stubborn,’ harder than average to coach 19
- Bruce Bowen says blame for James Harden’s defense falls on McHale, Rockets 18
- NBA to review domestic violence policies in wake of NFL’s ugliness. It shouldn’t have taken that. 13
- Cavaliers lift ban on fan who ran onto court with LeBron James shirt 16