Oct 29, 2013, 1:24 PM EDT
The charges have been dropped after the girlfriend and alleged victim refused to testify against him, but there are still repercussions from Jared Sullinger’s offseason arrest for on a domestic violence charge.
The Boston Celtics have suspended Sullinger from the team’s opening night game Wednesday night in Toronto, an announcement the organization made Tuesday. He will play in the team’s home opener Friday against Milwaukee.
“Jared’s case was dismissed yesterday in Waltham District Court,” Celtics President of Basketball Operations Danny Ainge said in a released statement. “While we are satisfied that this was the correct ruling, we are suspending Jared for one game because he failed to meet the high expectations we have for all Celtics employees.”
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $15,000 Fantasy Basketball league on October, 30th. It’s $10 to join and first prize is $2,000. Starts October 30th at 7pm ET. Here’s the link.
Consider this a bit of a pre-emptive strike by Boston, as CSNNE.com’s A. Sherrod Blakely explains.
We don’t know what happened in this case. I will tell you as a guy who spent years as a crime reporter the number of domestic violence charges dropped because the alleged victim refused to testify and took the alleged abuser back is shockingly high; but again in this particular case we have no idea what really happened.
Still good on the Celtics for at least trying to send some message with this.
- Report: If Kevin Love leaves Cavaliers, Lakers are team to beat in free agency 17
- Rumor: Kevin Love out minimum of two weeks, will likely miss most or all of series vs. Bulls 36
- Monta Ellis, J.J. Barea pairing ignites Mavericks offense, gets Dallas Game 4 win over Houston 6
- Wizards blow out Raptors to complete first-round sweep 17
- Chris Paul scores 34 points, Clippers win Game 4 to even series with Spurs 6
- Cavaliers advance to second round – but but maybe lose Kevin Love and moral high ground in process 60
- Mike Conley out for Game 4 with “serious” facial injury, no timetable for return 6
- Grizzlies start fast, hang on to beat Portland, take 3-0 series lead 2