Oct 29, 2013, 12:44 AM EDT
Part of that is that Faried is coming off a hamstring injury and they don’t want to rush him, but part of it is Shaw and the Nuggets are high on Hickson. Even when Faried is right Hickson may keep that starting job.
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $15,000 Fantasy Basketball league on October, 30th. It’s $10 to join and first prize is $2,000. Starts October 30th at 7pm ET. Here’s the link.
Faried is a fan favorite because he is an Energizer Bunny on the court that is both athletic and never seems to quit, but he’s also raw offensively. Faried shot 61.6 percent in the restricted area but just 28.2 percent on the handful (less than one a game) midrange shots he took. Hickson is more polished, he’s an athletic and can finish at the rim (64 percent in the restricted area) but also has a good midrange game (47.3 percent last season). Neither are impressive defenders, but Faried is better on that end of the court because of his effort level.
Whatever Shaw is seeing in how Hickson flows with Ty Lawson, he likes what he sees. That makes Faried expendable (especially with him able to be extended next summer and a restricted free agent in two).
Just something to watch going forward.
- Dwight Howard’s drivers’ license in Florida suspended, he racked up 10 red light violations in Orlando 4
- Tim Duncan to appear in “The Punisher” comic book 6
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New York Knicks 10
- Klay Thompson’s agent: Thompson better two-way shooting guard than Kobe Bryant 47
- Report: Greg Oden’s drinking an issue during season, alleged domestic assault 29
- Kevin Durant calls Allen Iverson “pound for pound” best ever 29
- PBT Extra: What players looked good at World Cup? 4
- Time for FIBA/NBA to adopt soccer model: Only one major tournament every four years 16