Oct 29, 2013, 12:44 AM EDT
Part of that is that Faried is coming off a hamstring injury and they don’t want to rush him, but part of it is Shaw and the Nuggets are high on Hickson. Even when Faried is right Hickson may keep that starting job.
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $15,000 Fantasy Basketball league on October, 30th. It’s $10 to join and first prize is $2,000. Starts October 30th at 7pm ET. Here’s the link.
Faried is a fan favorite because he is an Energizer Bunny on the court that is both athletic and never seems to quit, but he’s also raw offensively. Faried shot 61.6 percent in the restricted area but just 28.2 percent on the handful (less than one a game) midrange shots he took. Hickson is more polished, he’s an athletic and can finish at the rim (64 percent in the restricted area) but also has a good midrange game (47.3 percent last season). Neither are impressive defenders, but Faried is better on that end of the court because of his effort level.
Whatever Shaw is seeing in how Hickson flows with Ty Lawson, he likes what he sees. That makes Faried expendable (especially with him able to be extended next summer and a restricted free agent in two).
Just something to watch going forward.
- Ginobili, Duncan, Popovich dance around questions about Spurs’ future 1
- Reports: Stephen Curry to be named MVP Monday 27
- Hawks start hot, finish cold, Wizards take Game 1 on road 104-98. 6
- PBT Second-Round Playoff Preview: Washington Wizards vs. Atlanta Hawks 4
- Adjusting for playoff rotations round two: Watch out for the Wizards 2
- Hobbled Chris Paul, Clippers’ role players do just enough to dethrone Spurs in Game 7 20
- Chris Paul banks in game winner to lift Clippers past Spurs (VIDEO) 28
- Report: Bulls’ Mike Dunleavy won’t be suspended for Game 1 against Cavaliers 22