Oct 28, 2013, 2:29 PM EST
I don’t recall a preseason where the league came down with this many fines and suspensions.
The latest is Ed Davis, the reserve forward of the Memphis Grizzlies, who has been fined $15,000 by the league for “making excessive and unnecessary contact with Houston Rockets forward Donatas Motiejunas.” Basically, going for a shot block he smacked Motiejunas in the face (you can see it at the 1:45 mark of the highlights video above).
The incident took place with 8:42 left in the game of the eventual Rockets win from last Friday night. Davis got a flagrant 2 foul and was ejected, and that almost always leads to a fine. The league is cracking down on blows to the head, this will be pretty standard, intentional or not.
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $15,000 Fantasy Basketball league on October, 30th. It’s $10 to join and first prize is $2,000. Starts October 30th at 7pm ET. Here’s the link.
Davis responded on twitter:
Davis is going to be scrapping this year — he’s a backup behind Zach Randolph who will be a restricted free agent next summer. He’s very athletic, he hits the boards hard, he’s solid on defense and he’s looked like a quality rotation big in the minutes he’s gotten. When he focuses his offense on attacking and using that athleticism, not settling for midrange jumpers, he shows a lot of promise.
Expect some feistiness out of him this season as he’s playing for his next paycheck. Which should be good for Memphis — the rich get richer along maybe the best front line in the NBA.
- PBT Extra: Who should be the All-Star Game reserves? 3
- Report: Kobe Bryant “definitively coming back to play next season” 10
- Kemba Walker to have knee surgery; Hornets looking at trades for depth while he is out 2
- Kobe Bryant to have surgery on shoulder, is done for season 7
- PBT’s Weekly NBA Power Rankings: Hawks continue to fly high 4
- Kobe Bryant wanted to sign with Michael Jordan’s Wizards 5
- Pau Gasol’s trade tip put his and Marc Gasol’s All-Star futures in motion 1
- Reports: Kings at Knicks, Trail Blazers at Nets games Monday postponed due to coming storm 10