Oct 28, 2013, 2:29 PM EDT
I don’t recall a preseason where the league came down with this many fines and suspensions.
The latest is Ed Davis, the reserve forward of the Memphis Grizzlies, who has been fined $15,000 by the league for “making excessive and unnecessary contact with Houston Rockets forward Donatas Motiejunas.” Basically, going for a shot block he smacked Motiejunas in the face (you can see it at the 1:45 mark of the highlights video above).
The incident took place with 8:42 left in the game of the eventual Rockets win from last Friday night. Davis got a flagrant 2 foul and was ejected, and that almost always leads to a fine. The league is cracking down on blows to the head, this will be pretty standard, intentional or not.
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $15,000 Fantasy Basketball league on October, 30th. It’s $10 to join and first prize is $2,000. Starts October 30th at 7pm ET. Here’s the link.
Davis responded on twitter:
Davis is going to be scrapping this year — he’s a backup behind Zach Randolph who will be a restricted free agent next summer. He’s very athletic, he hits the boards hard, he’s solid on defense and he’s looked like a quality rotation big in the minutes he’s gotten. When he focuses his offense on attacking and using that athleticism, not settling for midrange jumpers, he shows a lot of promise.
Expect some feistiness out of him this season as he’s playing for his next paycheck. Which should be good for Memphis — the rich get richer along maybe the best front line in the NBA.
- Behind 32 points from Kawhi Leonard, Spurs rout Clippers to take 2-1 series lead 1
- The Truth (and Marcin Gortat) will set Washington free, up 3-0 on Toronto after win 1
- James Harden scores 42 points to lead Rockets to Game 3 win, 3-0 series lead over Mavericks 14
- Why can’t the Pelicans foul in a timely manner? 7
- PBT Extra: No Rajon Rondo, no Chandler Parsons, Dallas is in trouble vs. Houston 6
- Stephen Curry drops 40, leads 20-point comeback as Warriors beat Pelicans in OT, take 3-0 series lead 10
- Stephen Curry hits ridiculous corner three to force OT (VIDEO) 18
- Bulls pull away in double-overtime to take 3-0 lead over Bucks 10