Oct 28, 2013, 3:10 PM EDT
However he told David Aldridge, writing for NBA.com (you need to read the entire interview), that if he is up for it physically he will go to Brazil.
No, I’m not officially in, just yet. But hopefully, I can be healthy enough and on top of my game at that point where I’ll be taken.
I’m pretty sure Coach Krzyzewski would pick him. Just a hunch.
The core of Team USA is going to shift over the coming years, guys like Kobe Bryant will be stepping aside. But LeBron will be just 31 when the next Olympics comes up, still in his prime. He’s thinking at this point about legacy, and no basketball player has ever won three gold medals. That could be something that motivates him.
The interview with David Aldridge had some other interesting areas:
• With Kevin Garnett and Paul Pierce moving on to Brooklyn, did his rivalry with the Celtics transfer as well? “No. Because with the Boston rivalry, not only were you playing against those guys, you were playing against their fans, too. And there are not too many fans that can compete with Boston. Probably the Palace of Auburn Hills when it was rocking, as far as animosity or hatred. Brooklyn doesn’t have that. Obviously, they have great fans, but Boston has that hatred. You kind of inherit not only going against those guys, but you inherit going against those fans as well.”
• Does he ever wonder how the Heat won Game 6 of the Finals? “All the time. I have no idea how we won that game. I think you, as a kid, your Little League coaches would always tell you, finish the game. Finish the game. It’s not over until it’s triple zero. Or, it’s not over until the (fat) lady sings. And when you preach that, and you practice that, you just continue to hone that. You just keep going. And we was able to do that.”
• On Allen Iverson as an inspiration: “To see that he’s retiring, man, it’s like wow. You still feel like he still should be in this league. He’s sixth all time in career points per game. Those last few years, you can almost throw them out the window. One thing that we can all say about AI, he gave it everything. He played hurt, he played injured, and he probably was, what, 5-11, a buck sixty at the most? And he gave it his whole heart, man. And I think everybody in Philly, and in the NBA knows what kind of impact he had — not only on the floor, but off the floor as well. A lot of guys wear arm sleeves and headbands because of Allen Iverson.”
Oct 22, 2014, 12:10 AM EDT
Combining the NBA and 90210? Brilliant.
Oct 21, 2014, 10:45 PM EDT
It’s better to be lucky than good.
Oct 21, 2014, 9:30 PM EDT
A hit job on Kobe Bryant by a major media outlet is drawing plenty of criticism.
Sixers’ K.J. McDaniels with a two-handed rejection, has more preseason blocks than Anthony Davis (VIDEO)
Oct 21, 2014, 8:30 PM EDT
McDaniels has amassed 14 blocked shots this preseason — more than guys like DeAndre Jordan and Anthony Davis.
Oct 21, 2014, 7:35 PM EDT
Solid big men get overpaid consistently and have for many years. In light of that fact, this deal is just fine.
Oct 21, 2014, 6:33 PM EDT
Kirk Hinrich will get the start.
Oct 21, 2014, 5:40 PM EDT
James Harden’s defense isn’t as bad as some people say… but it’s not good.
Oct 21, 2014, 4:50 PM EDT
It’s possible, but not likely, that Nets owner Mikhail Prokhorov will buy the rest of the building.
Oct 21, 2014, 4:01 PM EDT
The Lakers defense makes them lottery locks.
Oct 21, 2014, 3:30 PM EDT
Philadelphia, Oklahoma City and Milwaukee still need five more teams to join their side
Oct 21, 2014, 2:49 PM EDT
Watch after the draft lottery next year when a team like the Lakers, Celtics or Knicks jumps way up the board so they can draft a young star and some smaller market owners cry it’s unfair.
Oct 21, 2014, 2:07 PM EDT
The only precedent for LeBron, Kevin Love and Kyrie Irving? LeBron, Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh
Oct 21, 2014, 1:35 PM EDT
Iman Shumpert is wearing a hat with a clock on it. That is all.
Oct 21, 2014, 12:59 PM EDT
Center played just five games last season
Oct 21, 2014, 12:22 PM EDT
Chicago point guard still clearly has respect of teammates
Oct 21, 2014, 11:45 AM EDT
New Orleans adds its missing link in Omer Asik
Oct 21, 2014, 11:14 AM EDT
Expect him to be out until mid- to late December.
Oct 21, 2014, 10:15 AM EDT
They’re not as good as Mark Cuban thinks they are, but they are improved.
Oct 21, 2014, 9:44 AM EDT
Projecting Cleveland’s win total based on its minute distribution against the Bulls
Oct 21, 2014, 9:16 AM EDT
Celtics waived Lucas during offseason that saw him traded twice
- Paul George refutes report he didn’t want to play with Kobe Bryant: ‘Media reaching again’ 9
- PBT Extra preview: Lakers, Celtics big name teams headed to lottery 11
- Could lottery reform be bad for small market teams? Sam Presti argues yes. 18
- LeBron James and his difficult-to-assess super teams 27
- Kevin Durant on return: “I’m not going to rush it all” 12
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 preview: Dallas Mavericks 7
- LeBron James: “(The Bulls) are a team that’s much better than us right now just off chemistry” 36
- Has Kobe Bryant cost the Lakers Dwight Howard, Carmelo Anthony, Paul George and others? 90