Oct 28, 2013, 3:10 PM EST
However he told David Aldridge, writing for NBA.com (you need to read the entire interview), that if he is up for it physically he will go to Brazil.
No, I’m not officially in, just yet. But hopefully, I can be healthy enough and on top of my game at that point where I’ll be taken.
I’m pretty sure Coach Krzyzewski would pick him. Just a hunch.
The core of Team USA is going to shift over the coming years, guys like Kobe Bryant will be stepping aside. But LeBron will be just 31 when the next Olympics comes up, still in his prime. He’s thinking at this point about legacy, and no basketball player has ever won three gold medals. That could be something that motivates him.
The interview with David Aldridge had some other interesting areas:
• With Kevin Garnett and Paul Pierce moving on to Brooklyn, did his rivalry with the Celtics transfer as well? “No. Because with the Boston rivalry, not only were you playing against those guys, you were playing against their fans, too. And there are not too many fans that can compete with Boston. Probably the Palace of Auburn Hills when it was rocking, as far as animosity or hatred. Brooklyn doesn’t have that. Obviously, they have great fans, but Boston has that hatred. You kind of inherit not only going against those guys, but you inherit going against those fans as well.”
• Does he ever wonder how the Heat won Game 6 of the Finals? “All the time. I have no idea how we won that game. I think you, as a kid, your Little League coaches would always tell you, finish the game. Finish the game. It’s not over until it’s triple zero. Or, it’s not over until the (fat) lady sings. And when you preach that, and you practice that, you just continue to hone that. You just keep going. And we was able to do that.”
• On Allen Iverson as an inspiration: “To see that he’s retiring, man, it’s like wow. You still feel like he still should be in this league. He’s sixth all time in career points per game. Those last few years, you can almost throw them out the window. One thing that we can all say about AI, he gave it everything. He played hurt, he played injured, and he probably was, what, 5-11, a buck sixty at the most? And he gave it his whole heart, man. And I think everybody in Philly, and in the NBA knows what kind of impact he had — not only on the floor, but off the floor as well. A lot of guys wear arm sleeves and headbands because of Allen Iverson.”
Dec 21, 2014, 11:00 PM EST
The Cavs beat the Grizzlies in Cleveland.
Dec 21, 2014, 9:30 PM EST
Of course he said he’d consider the Knicks, it’s just smart business.
Dec 21, 2014, 8:00 PM EST
Rose has been there before.
Dec 21, 2014, 6:30 PM EST
The very public meeting with Jackson was leverage to help get Karl to lower his asking price.
Dec 21, 2014, 5:00 PM EST
Stevens dismisses rumors of Indiana University.
Dec 21, 2014, 3:30 PM EST
The Knicks guard will be reevaluated in two weeks.
Dec 21, 2014, 1:52 PM EST
Knee injuries have robbed us of the good Gallinari.
Dec 21, 2014, 12:30 PM EST
Everything went wrong for Sanders and the Bucks last year.
Dec 21, 2014, 11:00 AM EST
Why else would trade rumors surface 20 games or so into his first season in Charlotte?
Dec 21, 2014, 9:30 AM EST
The Thunder are right to be cautious here.
Dec 21, 2014, 8:00 AM EST
The Bucks went heavy with Brandon Knight at the end of the game. That went about as well as you’d expect.
Dec 21, 2014, 12:46 AM EST
Nine assists but shot 3-of-11.
Dec 21, 2014, 12:16 AM EST
He can do better.
Dec 20, 2014, 10:30 PM EST
A final look back at Rondo’s time in Boston as he gets set to make his debut with Dallas.
Dec 20, 2014, 9:00 PM EST
Cavaliers are tied with the Pistons for 23rd in defensive efficiency.
Dec 20, 2014, 7:11 PM EST
Kings are looking to make a splash, and Williams has been made available in trade by the Nets.
Dec 20, 2014, 6:30 PM EST
Dragic will opt out of the final year of his deal to become an unrestricted free agent this summer.
Dec 20, 2014, 5:00 PM EST
An expletive was added for emphasis.
Dec 20, 2014, 3:30 PM EST
No contact on the perimeter, yea he’s up for that.
Dec 20, 2014, 2:00 PM EST
The Christmas Day slate of games is (mostly) stellar.
- Sources: Kings prefer George Karl, not serious about hiring Mark Jackson 8
- Nuggets Danilo Gallinari has meniscus tear in right knee, out three weeks after surgery 5
- Rajon Rondo was very Rondoesque in debut with Mavericks (VIDEO) 19
- Report: Kings discussing trade for Deron Williams with Nets 12
- Report: Multiple teams contacting Suns trying to trade for Goran Dragic 10
- Clippers rip officials after being called for seven technical fouls in loss to Nuggets 18
- Jeremy Lin after Kobe misses at the buzzer: ‘I like game-winners too’ 60
- Damian Lillard drops career high 43, leads Blazers to 3OT win over Spurs (VIDEO) 8