Sixers’ Evan Turner takes to Instagram to clarify unflattering quote

Oct 27, 2013, 8:00 AM EDT

Evan Turner AP

Evan Turner started all 82 games for the Sixers last season, and hasn’t known another franchise during his three years in the NBA.

With Philadelphia in a full-fledged rebuilding mode, Turner was quoted as saying something that wouldn’t come across as being all that flattering if it were to be read in print without context. So, he took to his Instagram page to try and set the story straight.

The initial comments weren’t all that inflammatory, but as transcribed and without the benefit of hearing the entire conversation, it painted Turner in a less than desirable light.

From Turner’s Instagram page (all comments sic):

“The same sword they knight you, they gone good night you wit…” I usually dont care what is written about me or what people think but in this case I do. I know you’ll never win a fight with the media but ill fight any day when my character and intentions are misunderstood.This headline doesnt describe me as a person or who I am. Basketball is my passion, I dont play to get a paycheck. I play cause I love the game. I think its unreal and a blessing to be able to make money doing something you love to do and thats what I am doing. The headline above was intended to take the attention off me and keep it on my team. Im truly not worried about a matter that will be dealt with when the time comes. Im worried about the team atmosphere and getting better everyday, as I should be…hope to see everyone at the home opener

The quote Turner felt the need to clarify was one published by Philly.com, which had Turner saying, “I just show up and work hard. It doesn’t really bother me. I just take it one day at a time. I’ll be somewhere next year, so all that other stuff doesn’t bother me. I’m going to play hard, and I’m going to get my money, regardless.”

That obviously makes it seem like Turner is more interested in money than helping his team win, which, whether true or not, is not what the franchise or its fans want to hear heading into what’s expected to be the worst season in recent memory.

This age of social media allows athletes direct access to fans and media alike, and overall, that’s a good thing for everyone involved. It’s quite possible that Turner wasn’t clear enough when speaking to the media, so the fact that he was able to clarify his comments publicly is a positive in helping his and the team’s image as the regular season begins.

[via EOB]

1. saint1997 - Oct 27, 2013 at 8:19 AM

I did find it odd when Turner made those comments but it’s been cleared up now for me. I think he was more using getting paid to describe the comparative equality of the situation in terms of different teams rather than isolating money as his sole prerogative

• adamsjohn714 - Oct 27, 2013 at 9:33 AM

Agreed. It sounded to me like he was saying that he was a professional, and was going to show up to work no matter what situation he was in. Personally, though, I don’t care if the guys on my Nuggets are greedy jerks, as long as they can play.

2. louhudson23 - Oct 27, 2013 at 9:27 AM

I read his second statement as a distinctly different statement of philosophy and attitude than the first.The first is how most see most professional athletes. The second is certainly how you would hope any and all of us would approach our jobs and our lives. If he is saying the second reflects his true thoughts,then I believe him. But I read nothing which explains the original comments or shows them to have been taken out of context.

3. jjared1101 - Oct 27, 2013 at 9:44 AM

I had read the quote on CBS as having said “I just show up and work hard. It doesn’t really bother me. I just take it one day at a time. I’ll be somewhere next year, so all that other stuff doesn’t bother me. ……… I’m going to get my money, regardless.”

When you take out the “i’m going to play hard”, the quote changes dramatically and that’s what Turner was upset about.

He was completely justifiable in being upset and it was not using context like that that makes athletes dislike media members.

4. sixerpackinmyhand - Oct 27, 2013 at 1:29 PM

He knows he isn’t in the team’s future plans, because they’ve been actively trying to move him since June. He knows he is an NBA player, so he said he can’t sit around and worry about it. I don’t think he said anything wrong, it is what it is.

5. 00maltliquor - Oct 28, 2013 at 2:44 AM

His words were taken out of context for sure, but please…spare me the whole “I don’t play to get a paycheck” B.S.

Will LeBron get booed Christmas Day in Miami?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches