Oct 27, 2013, 2:00 PM EDT
If there’s one element of professional sports people consistently overlook, it’s how significant and unavoidable aging is. As players get in to their 30s, their production declines. The later into their 30s, the more drastic the decline.
Of course, there are exceptions, and people cling to those, because the exceptions are far more visible than the athletes who fit the typical pattern. The exceptions play a lot and play well. Many of the typical players fall out of the league completely.
It’s cold, but it’s also reality.
So, I couldn’t understand those who expected Marcus Camby to contribute significantly to the Rockets. He couldn’t get healthy at 38, and his odds of doing so at 39 were only lower.
Now, it seems Camby’s latest injury will end his Houston tenure and, likely, his career.
Jonathan Feigen of the Houston Chronicle:
A healthy and productive Camby would have been a nice luxury for the Rockets, but they’ll be fine without him. Dwight Howard is the NBA’s best center, and with the exception of Detroit (Greg Monroe and Andre Drummond) and possibly Cleveland (Andrew Bynum and Anderson Varejao), no team has a better second center than Houston does with Omer Asik.
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $15,000 Fantasy Basketball league on October, 30th. It’s $10 to join and first prize is $2,000. Starts October 30th at 7pm ET. Here’s the link.
The Rockets are left with $884,293 of dead weight stuck on their books, and Camby is out $600,493 (unless he gets another contract). That’s not ideal for either Houston or Camby, but if Camby comes back as a player-development coach, this story could still have a happy ending.
Expect Camby to help in that role? I’m with you. His age won’t matter there.
- Report: Wes Matthews reaches agreement to join Dallas Mavericks 0
- PBT Extra: Five best free agent signings in the first days of free agency 7
- Dwyane Wade agrees to one-year, $20 million deal to stay with Heat 53
- PBT Podcast: Talking best signings of free agency so far 0
- Report: Pacers agree to four-year, $44 million contract with Monta Ellis 22
- Report: Greg Monroe signing a maximum contract with Bucks 56
- Lakers, Knicks struggle on hectic first day of free agency 64
- Trail Blazers assistant coach: ‘We didn’t publicize it, but we lost LaMarcus Aldridge’ 9