Oct 27, 2013, 2:00 PM EDT
If there’s one element of professional sports people consistently overlook, it’s how significant and unavoidable aging is. As players get in to their 30s, their production declines. The later into their 30s, the more drastic the decline.
Of course, there are exceptions, and people cling to those, because the exceptions are far more visible than the athletes who fit the typical pattern. The exceptions play a lot and play well. Many of the typical players fall out of the league completely.
It’s cold, but it’s also reality.
So, I couldn’t understand those who expected Marcus Camby to contribute significantly to the Rockets. He couldn’t get healthy at 38, and his odds of doing so at 39 were only lower.
Now, it seems Camby’s latest injury will end his Houston tenure and, likely, his career.
Jonathan Feigen of the Houston Chronicle:
A healthy and productive Camby would have been a nice luxury for the Rockets, but they’ll be fine without him. Dwight Howard is the NBA’s best center, and with the exception of Detroit (Greg Monroe and Andre Drummond) and possibly Cleveland (Andrew Bynum and Anderson Varejao), no team has a better second center than Houston does with Omer Asik.
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $15,000 Fantasy Basketball league on October, 30th. It’s $10 to join and first prize is $2,000. Starts October 30th at 7pm ET. Here’s the link.
The Rockets are left with $884,293 of dead weight stuck on their books, and Camby is out $600,493 (unless he gets another contract). That’s not ideal for either Houston or Camby, but if Camby comes back as a player-development coach, this story could still have a happy ending.
Expect Camby to help in that role? I’m with you. His age won’t matter there.
- Cavaliers coach David Blatt: ‘LeBron James is our MVP’ 20
- No Durant, what does that mean for Thunder in these playoffs? Trouble. 13
- Kevin Durant to have third foot surgery; is done for season, playoffs 36
- Goran Dragic leading feisty Heat’s playoff push 26
- NBA Draft prospect matchups to watch in NCAA Tourament this weekend 2
- Report: LeBron James frustrated with Kevin Love for not fitting in 85
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Kevin Love seems to be fitting in just fine suddenly 4
- It’s official: Dwight Howard will return to Rockets’ lineup Wednesday 2