Oct 27, 2013, 6:30 PM EDT
This was expected (we told you Thursday this was likely coming) but now it is official:
Danny Granger will miss the first two games of the Pacers season due to a strained left calf, reports Pacers.com. The Pacers open up Tuesday night at home against Orlando then travel to take on the Pelicans in New Orleans Wednesday.
“He’s just doing some light shooting and stuff,” Vogel said. “As long as he’s feeling anything down there, [the training staff is] going to be cautious with it.”
Granger basically missed all of last season due to a knee injury and he got back from that, but has had the calf strain the past two weeks since a preseason game against Chicago.
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $15,000 Fantasy Basketball league on October, 30th. It’s $10 to join and first prize is $2,000. Starts October 30th at 7pm ET. Here’s the link.
The Pacers are going to be patient here, there is no reason to rush him back for games this early in the season. That said, there questions the Pacers need to answer in the first part of the season: Can Granger play with Paul George and Roy Hibbert? If so they have added an All-Star scorer to the mix, if not they will be shopping Granger and his expiring contract around for pieces that do fit.
They need to get him back on the court before we get in any answer.
- Report: Paul Pierce to sign two-year deal to join Wizards 4
- Report: Trevor Ariza to sign 4-year, $32 million deal with Rockets 35
- Pau Gasol tweets he has chosen to play for Bulls. Only question is will it be sign-and-trade or not. 50
- LeBron James’ contract two years, $42 million with Cavaliers. That doesn’t mean he’s leaving. 37
- LeBron returns to Cleveland a more efficient, mature player that can take team further 36
- Andrew Wiggins, Jabari Parker shine in head-to-head Summer League matchup 19
- Posnanski: LeBron James proves he’s a true Clevelander 58
- Report: Isaiah Thomas headed to Phoenix Suns in a sign-and-trade 40