Oct 27, 2013, 9:30 AM EST
Chris Douglas-Roberts has been a fringe NBA player for the last couple of seasons that has been in and out of camp with the Los Angeles Lakers.
CDR is struggling to find a home on an NBA roster largely due to his jack-of-all-trades, master of none skill set, combined with a physical frame that simply does not scream professional athlete.
But given his time around one of the league’s most legendary franchises, the man has stories. Including this one, which he posted to his Instagram account regarding a practice duel he took part in with the great Kobe Bryant.
A lot of ppl wondered why Bean spoke so highly of me last yr. First day of camp Mike Brown tried to throw me in the fire right away. Made me & Bean 1 on 1 partners for the whole first practice. What Mike Brown didn’t know is that’s what I was waiting for. That whole day we went head up. At one point it damn near came to blows bc Bean will do anything for an edge. So he was elbowing me on the low for separation & I couldn’t let that go as a competitor. As a man. The refs were too scared to call the foul bc he was intimidating them all practice. But at then end it was all love. The respect is mutual. Gave me some pointers that are priceless. It’s a misconception on Bean. Ppl think he’s a sucker…hard to play with. It’s just that he expects the most of his teammates bc he works so hard. Easily realist hooper I’ve met. He never lies and I respect that. #ClosestThingtoJordan #HeNeverSleepsEither#ImOut
The work ethic is obviously there, or CDR wouldn’t keep being invited to play in Summer League or practices with NBA teams. (He was most recently in camp with the Knicks before being waived on Friday.)
The tale of his tangle with Bryant is interesting, if only to note how he supposedly didn’t back down, and how Bryant will bring maximum intensity to anyone that steps to him on the court — even a non-rostered player during a team practice session.
- PBT’s Sunday Night NBA Winners/Losers: Cavaliers shouldn’t hit panic button, may want to locate it 0
- Carmelo Anthony sits out second half vs. Portland with sore knee 2
- LeBron, after Cavaliers lose by 23 at home to Pistons: ‘Right now we are not very good. In every aspect of the game’ 29
- Paul Pierce ‘shocked’ by Celtics trade of Rajon Rondo to Mavericks 16
- Kobe Bryant will return to Lakers lineup Sunday vs. Suns 15
- Kevin Love benched entire fourth quarter of Cavaliers win over Magic 30
- PBT’s Top 10 NBA stories of 2014, No. 10: Anthony Davis’ breakout 22
- Rumor: Ray Allen leaning toward retirement, not return 12