Oct 27, 2013, 9:30 AM EDT
Chris Douglas-Roberts has been a fringe NBA player for the last couple of seasons that has been in and out of camp with the Los Angeles Lakers.
CDR is struggling to find a home on an NBA roster largely due to his jack-of-all-trades, master of none skill set, combined with a physical frame that simply does not scream professional athlete.
But given his time around one of the league’s most legendary franchises, the man has stories. Including this one, which he posted to his Instagram account regarding a practice duel he took part in with the great Kobe Bryant.
A lot of ppl wondered why Bean spoke so highly of me last yr. First day of camp Mike Brown tried to throw me in the fire right away. Made me & Bean 1 on 1 partners for the whole first practice. What Mike Brown didn’t know is that’s what I was waiting for. That whole day we went head up. At one point it damn near came to blows bc Bean will do anything for an edge. So he was elbowing me on the low for separation & I couldn’t let that go as a competitor. As a man. The refs were too scared to call the foul bc he was intimidating them all practice. But at then end it was all love. The respect is mutual. Gave me some pointers that are priceless. It’s a misconception on Bean. Ppl think he’s a sucker…hard to play with. It’s just that he expects the most of his teammates bc he works so hard. Easily realist hooper I’ve met. He never lies and I respect that. #ClosestThingtoJordan #HeNeverSleepsEither#ImOut
The work ethic is obviously there, or CDR wouldn’t keep being invited to play in Summer League or practices with NBA teams. (He was most recently in camp with the Knicks before being waived on Friday.)
The tale of his tangle with Bryant is interesting, if only to note how he supposedly didn’t back down, and how Bryant will bring maximum intensity to anyone that steps to him on the court — even a non-rostered player during a team practice session.
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Number shows Matthew Dellavedova’s defensive value 2
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Cleveland may want to cover Curry in the left corner 2
- It’s official: Scott Skiles hired as head coach of Orlando Magic 27
- PBT Podcast: Talking Thibodeau/Bulls divorce; future for Rockets, Hawks 0
- Warriors’ Klay Thompson officially diagnosed with concussion 22
- Klay Thompson should not have been cleared to return to Game 5 after concussion evaluation 17
- Dwight Howard suspended one game after foul switcheroo 18
- Three coaches who may replace Tom Thibodeau in Chicago 15