Blazers’ Thomas Robinson cited for driving 107 mph

Oct 27, 2013, 3:30 PM EDT

Thomas Robinson AP

Thomas Robinson was selected with fifth overall pick in the 2012 draft by the Sacramento Kings, yet he’s playing for his third NBA team entering just his second NBA season.

Why is that, you may ask?

The latest report out of Portland may shed some light on his situation.

From Wendy Owen of The Oregonian:

Portland Police cited Portland Trailblazer Thomas Earl Robinson for driving his Porsche 107 miles per hour on Interstate 5 Friday morning, October 25.

An officer “observed a white 2013 Porsche Panamera traveling at a high rate of speed on the freeway,” said Sgt. Pete Simpson, Portland Police Bureau, in an email. “The officer’s LIDAR would clock the vehicle at 107 MPH in a 55 MPH zone.” …

Robinson was polite and cooperative during the encounter, Simpson said.

Robinson issued an apology Sunday via his Twitter account.

Robinson’s basketball ability has rarely been called into question, and he’s looked good this preseason, especially during a 14-point, eight-rebound performance in Portland’s win over the Kings last weekend.

Speeding isn’t a federal crime, obviously, but driving over 100 miles per hour on a public highway is reckless any way you slice it. It would be easy to say that the Blazers should surround Robinson with people who can help steer him in the right direction moving forward, but at some point the 22-year old needs to begin to make the correct decisions himself.

1. asimonetti88 - Oct 27, 2013 at 3:33 PM

Not a fan of the four door Porsches.

• jimeejohnson - Oct 27, 2013 at 8:58 PM

Too bad; I was going to give you one. Oh well.

• asimonetti88 - Oct 27, 2013 at 9:29 PM

Well, if you’re going to be giving them out… :D

2. papichulo55 - Oct 27, 2013 at 4:00 PM

SMDH. No respect for himself, or anyone else. He has enough money to go to Germany and scratch that itch on the Autobahn, after he reads about Drazen Petrovic.

3. ProBasketballPundit - Oct 27, 2013 at 5:16 PM

Driving 107mph on the highway isn’t reckless if you’re on a motorcycle. Dodging cars, accelerating and decelerating are easy as stealing candy from Dez Bryant on a motorcycle. I do it all the time… that’s why Dez was crying today.

• louhudson23 - Oct 28, 2013 at 4:56 AM

Driving 107 on your bike on a highway is plain stupid and what all the little boys do. If you are fast,then get your ass to a track,or at least some tight and deserted mountain roads.The slab is for posers,poser.

• ProBasketballPundit - Oct 29, 2013 at 8:13 AM

I don’t think you understand. I’m never not going 100mph on my bike. It feels like going 50mph in your cage.

4. bmacstudio - Oct 27, 2013 at 5:49 PM

So, this is a featured story? Just how many people who own an exotic sports car, which is built to comfortably cruise over 100 mph, have not opened it up? Not like he was drunk while doing it….Such a non issue. He got caught, will pay the fine, and move on. He handled the situation perfectly.

5. larrybrown43 - Oct 27, 2013 at 5:53 PM

Automatic loss of license if you get caught going over 100 mph.

• Anoesis - Oct 27, 2013 at 8:13 PM

Apparently not if you’re in the 1%.

6. casualcommenter - Oct 27, 2013 at 5:57 PM

Lol. “I gotta be more careful watching my speed” is one of the funniest statements you can make after being caught doubling a 55 MPH speed limit. It’s like, “Yeah, you probably should….:

On a serious note – I hope he takes advantage of some stability in Portland and plays well.

7. antistratfordian - Oct 27, 2013 at 6:32 PM

Okay… I’m going to attempt to offer a different perspective. If you’ve ever driven a luxury sports vehicle built for performance + sound isolation and comfort, you would know that you can very easily hit 100 mph without really noticing.

You can’t hear the engine as well as you probably should and it’s so silky smooth and quiet that it can get up to speed in just a few seconds without you, or anybody else in the car, realizing it. It feels like you’re just going 70 mph but you look down and it says 95 mph.

Now, that only really happens out on the open road. You’d know how fast you were going if you were flying through a town at 100 mph.

• asimonetti88 - Oct 27, 2013 at 6:39 PM

The Panamera is pretty loud from what I’ve seen. I think it would be difficult to not hear it. He knew he was going 100 MPH he just didn’t care he was just trying to go fast.

• antistratfordian - Oct 27, 2013 at 6:52 PM

Loud from the outside. I don’t know what it sounds like on the inside; I’ve never driven one. But at night, in isolation, with music blazing – even in standard cars you can lose your sense of speed. (And if your car has great power, and especially if you’re going downhill out of a mountain pass, you can easily end up at 107 mph without intending to be there…)

Well, that’s my excuse. Works with the wife, not with the popo.

• philtration - Oct 28, 2013 at 10:30 AM

And of course those cars do not come equipped with a speedometer otherwise he would have to use it to gauge his speed and not drive like a complete jag off.

It must be really tough to have enough money to buy your way out of stupidity.

• rickyspanish - Oct 27, 2013 at 7:15 PM

Attempt was the correct word.

• marcusfitzhugh - Oct 28, 2013 at 4:21 PM

I drive a high performance luxury vehicle every day. If you’re driving 100 MPH, you know it. It doesn’t creep up on you. Your right foot is either in it, or not. Yes, 100+ is as quiet as 50 in some other cars, but the lack of wind and engine noise are no excuse. Anyone doing 95 who thinks they’re at 70 should consider looking through the windshield. If you’re texting, smoking a cigar, trying to find a faster route with the NAV system, arguing with someone on the phone AND in a hurry, I suppose it’s possible – but that’s a lame excuse as well.

• antistratfordian - Oct 28, 2013 at 7:48 PM

Chill yourself, marcus. Take your high performance luxury vehicle out on an open highway in the desert at night with no other cars around – turn your favorite jams up and have yourself a karaoke party – and yeah, you’ll find that it happens pretty easily.

You can also do the same exercise coming out of a mountain pass at night, you can hit extraordinary speeds in the blink of an eye without realizing it. it doesn’t matter if you were just at it for a split second – say you hit 99 for 0.5 seconds before realizing it – that’s all the radar needs.

Or you might be one of these guys who is always aware of his speed and the speed limit. I’m a little more of a freewheelin’ type.

8. johngalt1783 - Oct 27, 2013 at 7:58 PM

Maybe he chose the wrong career and should consider NASCAR instead of the NBA.

• mackcarrington - Oct 27, 2013 at 11:42 PM

107 is a little slow for the NASCAR circuit.

9. Anoesis - Oct 27, 2013 at 8:19 PM

Anybody else (read: regular citizen) goes straight to jail for reckless driving. Rich guy in Porsche? Yeah, here’s a citation (that you can easily afford to pay) and try not to do that again. It figures it was the Portland Police. If it had been the CHP, Robinson goes to jail and his car is towed.

10. jimeejohnson - Oct 27, 2013 at 9:00 PM

107 mph isn’t fast in Europe, but in the USA it is blazing. When in Rome…

• homieshome - Oct 27, 2013 at 10:45 PM

Well afterall, he is a Blazer.

11. whereyaat - Oct 27, 2013 at 9:20 PM

It’s a good thing I never had to apologize for all those times I drove 100+ when I was between 22-25. Gave that up after getting two tickets in a year (neither were for going 100).

12. pbtunpaidwriter - Oct 27, 2013 at 11:51 PM

Ahhh to be 22 and drive a Porsche Panamera. Livin the life.

13. pistolpete0903 - Oct 28, 2013 at 2:23 AM

Are we going back to the JailBlazers? Hope not!!!

14. lhollis74 - Oct 28, 2013 at 2:29 AM

Lol, 80 is casually cruising in Cali. 90 is a normal thing in the fast lane. 100? Well, when I bought my t bird years ago the first thing I did was take it over 100 on the test drive. How normal is speeding in Cali? Once after getting off work on the freeway I was cruising, motorcycle cop pulled up next to me and just stared at me. I glanced down at speedometer and realized I was doing 88. I immediately slowed down and he went on his way, no harm no foul.
    Course when I drive in the southern states doing 65 I’m flying by everyone. Either he adjust to the norm traffic speed or he will pay tickets often.

• asimonetti88 - Oct 28, 2013 at 11:48 AM

Thunderbird? Are you a chick?

• jimeejohnson - Oct 28, 2013 at 11:54 AM

Are you arrogant?

How has sale of Hawks made other NBA owners nervous?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches