Dwight Howard, Marc Gasol engage in preseason shoving match (VIDEO)

Oct 26, 2013, 8:00 PM EDT

The first quarter of the Rockets’ preseason finale against the Grizzlies on Friday was far more eventful than the team would have liked.

Early on, James Harden left the game with a knee contusion after being fouled on a three-point attempt by Quincy Pondexter. He did not return, although the injury was not believed to be serious.

Later in the period (as seen in the video clip above), Dwight Howard and Marc Gasol exchanged shoves after Gasol threw Patrick Beverley to the ground following a well-played but obviously irritating defensive sequence.

Both players were assessed technical fouls, although this semi-altercation was clearly started by Gasol’s non-basketball action.

If you were wondering how Howard is liking his new situation in Houston, the fact that he didn’t think twice about sticking up for his smaller teammate here is certainly a positive sign. Had something similar gone down last season in Los Angeles, Howard would likely have turned to his fallen teammate on the floor with arms incredulously extended, wondering why he wasn’t in the proper defensive position.

[via For The Win]

1. thekingdave - Oct 26, 2013 at 8:15 PM

Stay classy Brett.

2. ji8888 - Oct 26, 2013 at 8:17 PM

Beverly is annoying. He better get pushed to the ground more.

Watch out, folks. Marc Gasol will be the best center in the WC.

• pbtunpaidwriter - Oct 26, 2013 at 8:37 PM

Beverly is gritty and everything good about the NBA.

If you think that play with Westbrook was dirty last year then I feel sorry for you.

• antistratfordian - Oct 26, 2013 at 10:25 PM

Marc Gasol is solid, but he’s not spectacular. I don’t think he’ll ever be the best center in the West. He’s not even the best center in his own family.

• avb530 - Oct 27, 2013 at 12:09 AM

Anti you clearly have no idea what you’re talking about. He’s a two way player and amazing passer who’s getting better.

How are being spectacular and the best center in the west mutually exclusive?

• antistratfordian - Oct 29, 2013 at 5:41 PM

Your question doesn’t matter. He is neither spectacular or the best center in the west. And he is not “amazing” at anything – certainly not passing. Rubio is an “amazing” passer. Both Gasols are only good passers for 7 footers.

• redbaronx - Oct 27, 2013 at 1:19 PM

@antistratfordian – Marc is better than Pau at this point, and who cares if he’s not spectacular? He gets the job done!

• antistratfordian - Oct 27, 2013 at 4:45 PM

There wouldn’t be any comparisons if Pau was on a team with a coach who knew how to feature him. It would be like asking which Gasol was better in the 2012 olympics – easy answer.

• redbaronx - Oct 27, 2013 at 5:22 PM

@antistratfordian – It’s shocking how delusional you are. This isn’t even an argument, and yet only you could actually argue for Pau now. Do you always take the opposite side from reality as standard procedure? Do you think that makes you look smart?

• antistratfordian - Oct 27, 2013 at 6:19 PM

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.” – Samuel Clemens

Your issue here is that you think Marc Gasol isn’t wildly overrated, and that he actually deserved an award last year.

Marc Gasol will never be as good as Pau. Not yesterday, not today, not tomorrow.

That being said, Pau Gasol under D’Antoni was severely underutilized – and he obviously hasn’t been himself the last few years, having to play for a team that was very publicly trying to trade him – so i can see why you’ve become confused. But under better circumstances (say the Spanish national team, or even under Phil Jackson with Kobe) the question of who is superior is laughable. It’s Pau Gasol and it’s not close.

• redbaronx - Oct 27, 2013 at 6:51 PM

@antistratfordian – If you were talking about Pau 2 years ago, I’d agree. But even under Phil he was declining in Phil’s last year.

What you don’t seem to grasp or understand is that AT THIS MOMENT in time, Marc is a better player. Pau can’t move his feet fast enough and set up defensively. That has nothing to do with D’Antoni. Pau was never quick, but his age is making the problem worse.

This seems to be a theme with you. You have a problem with actually looking at a player since all you seem to look at is stats. It helps to have some ACTUAL basketball experience to evaluate players, something you seem to have no idea or clue. Looking at someone’s stat sheet from 3 years ago doesn’t help you evaluate a players current ability!

• antistratfordian - Oct 27, 2013 at 6:58 PM

I’m no longer interested in this conversation. But I will say that I disagree with your opinion on Marc Gasol vs Pau Gasol whether we’re talking about this year, last year, next year, three years from now or 30 years from now.

But maybe in 30 years you’ll be able to say, “well, there was that time for about a year or two when it seemed like Marc Gasol might be the better player, but…” …but Pau Gasol ended up in the hall of fame and Marc Gasol did not get close.

• redbaronx - Oct 27, 2013 at 7:08 PM

@antistratfordian – I never said Marc was the better player moron! This is why you’re such a dumbass! Reread my comment! I said at this point in their career. Meaning NOW!

You’re such a dumbass!

• antistratfordian - Oct 29, 2013 at 4:57 PM

I think you need to re-read my comment, hot head. I explicitly said “whether we’re talking about this year, last year, next year, three years from now or 30 years from now” – which obviously includes this point in their career.

You are too emotional. Are you on estrogen for some medical reason?

• redbaronx - Oct 29, 2013 at 7:44 PM

@antistratfordian – This is EXACTLY why you’re such a complete moron! I’m not emotional. I’m just stupefied by your complete lack of a brain!

Here’s your quote in FULL: “well, there was that time for about a year or two when it seemed like Marc Gasol might be the better player, but…”

Well that was EXACTLY my comment AT THIS POINT IN TIME. Get it??? Got it???

I swear your IQ is lower than my shoe size!

• antistratfordian - Oct 29, 2013 at 7:57 PM

You have a problem with comprehension… why do you think I italicized “seemed”? Because for geniuses like you it only seems that way right now. And I’m saying that at least 30 years from now you’ll be able to say, “well in 2013 there were a lot of us who thought Marc was better – not just me – but we didn’t know we were wrong,” and that’s better than nothing.

Take a xanax, homie.

• redbaronx - Oct 29, 2013 at 8:01 PM

Who cares what “seemed”? I don’t give a crap! Point is, and I’m obviously right for anyone that has a brain, is if you were picking teams today, you wouldn’t be taking Pau over Marc!

Take a reality pill homie! The one that Morpheous had in his left hand! You’re stuck in the Matrix in an alternative reality! Get out while you can!

• antistratfordian - Oct 29, 2013 at 11:40 PM

You bore me. On to our next encounter.

The season has started – time to put your game face on.

• redbaronx - Oct 30, 2013 at 1:22 PM

@antistratfordian – I “bore” you? lol. That’s why you keep responding because you know you’re learning from me. That’s OK. I’ve seen this before.

• urodaddy07 - Oct 27, 2013 at 7:28 PM

I think you guys are looking at this the wrong way. Marc’s defense is better than Pau’s, Pau is a better offensive player. On a more subjective level, I think Marc plays smarter and calmer than Pau. They’re both good passers. So for me it’s hard to say who is a better player. I suppose most people will value a player more if he is more offensively inclined, but I don’t know that this us a fair way to judge. If I’m a coach and I had to pick one I guess it would depend on what I thought the team needed, but in general I really believe defense wins championships

• antistratfordian - Oct 29, 2013 at 4:50 PM

Marc’s defense is overrated. Marc’s entire game is overrated. Pau is championship caliber. He takes teams to the Finals.

Marc Gasol’s highest Win Share is 11.5. That would be Pau’s 4th best season.

Pau Gasol has 10 different seasons with a PER over 20.0. Only 25 players in the history of the NBA have ever done that:

Kareem, Duncan, Karl Malone, Shaq, Hakeem, Stockton, Barkley, Bryant, Garnett, Jordan, Magic, Moses, David Robinson, West, Wilt, Dirk, Baylor, Ewing, Petit, Bird, Lanier, Nash, Oscar, Nique and Pau Gasol.

Marc Gasol hasn’t even done it once. Certainly he will not do it 10 times. There is a very wide gap between the quality of Pau Gasol and that of Marc Gasol – even today – and it’s not close.

• muhangis - Oct 27, 2013 at 6:27 AM

He’s solid, but cause of comments like yours, he’s so overrated! Nothing close to the best center. Not close!

3. supervillain910 - Oct 26, 2013 at 8:19 PM

And I bet he thought Marc was going to back down lol you thought wrong Howard.

4. avb530 - Oct 26, 2013 at 8:45 PM

NBD. Of course you don’t show the clip of Dwight and Marc making up.

You can call Beverly annoying but Marc did instigate it.

• antistratfordian - Oct 26, 2013 at 10:23 PM

Marc Gasol is solid, but he’s not spectacular. He certainly isn’t the best center in the West. He’s not even the best center in his own family.

• antistratfordian - Oct 26, 2013 at 10:24 PM

Oops. That wasn’t meant for you.

5. letangusespertplus - Oct 26, 2013 at 8:58 PM

cool flop.

6. stadix093 - Oct 26, 2013 at 9:22 PM

It’s funny because the only person in that video who is crazy enough to start some stuff, was the guy bringing the peace. Randolph.

• dohoangquan35 - Oct 27, 2013 at 1:50 AM

he ain’t a jail blazer anymore, brotha

• stadix093 - Oct 27, 2013 at 2:20 PM

I agree he has changed his life around a lot, I love the dude. I was mostly kidding. We all know not many basketball players are actually crazy enough to do anything but some shoving,

• redbaronx - Oct 27, 2013 at 1:21 PM

@stadix093 – Zach Randolph has really changed his life around. He’s not the hot head he used to be.

7. grapenutz08 - Oct 26, 2013 at 9:34 PM

another shot at Dwight Howard by Brett Pollakoff. Did he kill your dog or something?

8. pistolpete0903 - Oct 27, 2013 at 1:03 AM

Gotta love the spice….the Southwest division will be a good ol-fashion fight with the solid contenders (Spurs, Rockets, Grizzlies and the up coming Pelicans)

• redbaronx - Oct 27, 2013 at 1:23 PM

@pistolpete0903 – The Pelicans???? Did we somehow enter a time warp and get thrown into 2017?

9. ddarqwon - Oct 27, 2013 at 1:11 AM

Cheap shot by Marc Gasol out of frustration.
    The Grizz were getting smothered by Houston’s defense.
    I think that quarter ended like 30-10.

10. dunkmann - Oct 27, 2013 at 1:57 AM

He is thug from the tough streets of Barcelona.

11. 00maltliquor - Oct 27, 2013 at 2:39 AM

You could tell D12’s shove was for show, he backed up after. He don’t want no parts of that big grizzly bear Marc. Marc would have worked him out like P90X.

• redbaronx - Oct 27, 2013 at 1:25 PM

@00maltliquor – I’m placing bets now for Howard vs. Gasol on HBO.

• 00maltliquor - Oct 27, 2013 at 2:40 PM

I like it! Haven’t seen a good Heavyweight bout in a loooong time.

12. Anoesis - Oct 27, 2013 at 10:49 AM

“Had something similar gone down last season in Los Angeles, Howard would likely have turned to his fallen teammate on the floor with arms incredulously extended, wondering why he wasn’t in the proper defensive position.”

A pretty strong reference to Howard as a mercenary, but I can’t disagree with it. He came to L.A. to escape Orlando, rehab after surgery, and explore his next destination. No wonder the author of this article thinks Howard wouldn’t have stood up for a Laker, since he never was one. Just passin’ through.

13. spthegr8 - Oct 27, 2013 at 12:51 PM

@malt
    LLS!!! Dwight wouldn’t bust a grape in a fruit fight!! Just FRONTIN for the world. D12 strikes me as the kind of guy who has NEVER been in a fight a day of his life!!

14. urodaddy07 - Oct 27, 2013 at 7:31 PM

Also think that Marc is a true centre while Pau’s game is more suited to the power forward position

• bougin89 - Oct 28, 2013 at 11:41 AM

PF or C as long as he is on the low block with his back to the basket.

Will LeBron get booed Christmas Day in Miami?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches