Oct 26, 2013, 12:30 PM EDT
Chris Smith is getting a roster spot with the Knicks, and his contract of $490,000 will become fully guaranteed for this season if he remains there by the time Wednesday’s opening night is upon us.
It’s been widely speculated (and essentially assumed) that Smith is on the team because his brother, J.R. Smith, made it known to the Knicks front office that it was a requirement of his re-signing with the team in free agency.
But Smith believes he’s still on the team more because of his basketball ability than because of his family association.
From Al Innazzone of Newsday:
Chris Smith says being J.R. Smith’s brother has its advantages. But the younger Smith gets angered by those who think his brother is the reason he’s on the Knicks.
He said he’s being harassed on Twitter. “I can’t even have a social media because people are coming at me because they think my situation is something different,” Chris Smith said. “I feel like I earned my position on the team and I’m going to keep on earning my way here.” …
Earlier this week, when Mike Woodson was asked if Chris’ relationship to J.R. would affect the younger Smith’s status, he said, “Sure it does.”
Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports had a little bit stronger words about the situation on Friday.
Chris Smith made Knicks when his brother, J.R., signed his extension. That’s the business, but he should spare everyone how he “earned” it.
Nevertheless, there are family members on payrolls everywhere in the NBA. Some earned it; some didn’t. Still, roster spots are precious.
Regardless of how the younger Smith got there, he now has an opportunity. He’ll likely spend more time in the D-League than on the Knicks bench this season.
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 preview: Orlando Magic 1
- Hey John Wall/Dion Waiters, Stephen Curry says Warriors have best backcourt. And he’s right. 43
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Charlotte Hornets 6
- Kobe Bryant plans to play in all 8 preseason games for Lakers 11
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Miami Heat 9
- Mike Miller points to him being amnestied as start of LeBron James leaving Miami 15
- Kobe Bryant thinks he could physically play beyond contract extension 14
- Trey Burke, in wake of nude-photo scandal: ‘My judgments will be much better’ 11