Oct 25, 2013, 5:42 PM EDT
Washington wants to make the playoffs this year. Owner Ted Leonsis demands it. No more slow rebuild.
Sources said the deal sends Gortat and guards Shannon Brown, Malcolm Lee and Kendall Marshall to the Wizards for the expiring contract of veteran big man Emeka Okafor and a protected 2014 first-round pick (to No. 12).
That pick is the Wizards valuable 2014 No. 1, but it is protected through No. 12, Stein reports. The Suns now have four picks in next year’s deep first round of the draft.
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $15,000 Fantasy Basketball league on October, 30th. It’s $10 to join and first prize is $2,000. Starts October 30th at 7pm ET. Here’s the link.
For the Wizards, this would be a great get. Gortat is rock solid — not elite, not spectacular, but will give you quality play at both ends of the court. He is a strong pick setter and roll man (he shot 56.6 percent as the roll man last year) and that should pair well with the speedy Wall. Gortat shot a respectable 45.4 percent from the post, he can move well off the ball and has good hands for catching off cuts. On the other end of the floor he is a good shot blocker and rebounder, a big body in the paint. The other thing this does for Washington is let them move Nene back to the four spot, where he is more comfortable.
In the last year of his contract ($7.7 million) and on the rebuilding Suns, Gortat was long on the trade block. This just came a little earlier than expected.
For the Suns… they are all in for the Wiggins lottery and this is just another step that direction. They can play Okafor eventually if they want to, or they can move him, but this is a team looking to rebuild through the draft and they both got another pick and got worse to help their own draft slot in the process.
Tell me again how there is nobody tanking in the NBA, David Stern (and Adam Silver).
- UPDATED Report: Timberwolves make push for Eric Bledsoe, Suns not interested in sign-and-trade talks 10
- LeBron James unveils latest signature shoe from Nike: The LEBRON 12 9
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Toronto Raptors 8
- Dwyane Wade credits David Stern’s dress code for improving his style 13
- Kevin Durant has grown close with Karl Malone 15
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Philadelphia 76ers 5
- Steve Kerr said Danny Ferry made mistake but is a “man of high character” 33
- LeBron James on Kyrie Irving: “I believe Kyrie can be the best point guard in the league.” 25