Oct 25, 2013, 7:41 PM EDT
It comes down to this: In the playoffs last year, the Golden State Warriors’ defense was 7.8 points per 100 possessions better when Andrew Bogut was on the court.
Stephen Curry is the new star and Andre Iguodala was brought in to be the glue guy and defend the wings, but if the Warriors are going to really win — especially come playoff time — it comes down to Bogut protecting the rim. So if they think he’s healthy, they may want to lock him up.
Apparently they think he is so they have, reports Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports.
Myers and Bauman designed a contract for Bogut that will allow for payroll flexibility over the course of the three years, a league source told Yahoo Sports. Bogut will make $13 million-plus in 2014-15 before his annual base salary descends by 7.5 percent to $12 million in 2015-16 and to $11 million 2016-17.
Instead of being nervous or skeptical about whether or not this was a wise decision by the Warriors’ front office, fans of the franchise should be optimistic. The only reason for Golden State to lock up Bogut like this before the season begins is likely due to something they’ve seen this preseason — namely, that Bogut is as close to 100 percent as he’s been in some time, and that a big season (which would boost his value as a free agent next summer) is not only potentially on the horizon, but is somewhat expected.
We reported a while back this was possible and the sides seemed to be in the same ballpark. The only question is, with the history of injuries that Bogut has had to battle through, is three years wise?
The Warriors are gambling yes, and it may not turn out to be that much of a risk given the timing of the extension.
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 5
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 2
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 17
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 48
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10