Kevin Durant responds to ‘prediction’ he’ll leave Thunder in free agency

Oct 25, 2013, 1:31 AM EDT

BASKET-TPE-US-NBA Getty Images

LeBron James, Dwyane Wade, Chris Bosh, and Carmelo Anthony all have the ability to opt out of their current deals to become unrestricted free agents following the upcoming season.

There have only been very minor rumblings surrounding these star players, however, because even the inquisitive media members hoping for a story know that there is way too much that can happen over the next nine months or so that can influence those potential decisions.

If being less than a year away from free agency is too far away to predict which way a player might lean, then it would stand to reason that being a few years out would make it even more impossible to determine whether or not someone might leave their current situation when the opportunity presents itself.

Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $15,000 Fantasy Basketball league on October, 30th. It’s $10 to join and first prize is $2,000. Starts October 30th at 7pm ET. Here’s the link.

Kevin Durant is under contract in Oklahoma City through the end of the 2016 season, yet a former player and current analyst made an outlandish and baseless prediction that Durant would leave the Thunder in free agency as soon as he had the chance (and go to Houston). As is always the case in these situations, Durant was asked about this nonsense, and he responded.

From Darnell Mayberry of The Oklahoman:

Q: Did you hear what Jalen Rose said about the Houston thing?
A: Yep.

Do you have any thoughts on that?
Nah, I’m here for the Thunder (laughs). I mean, that’s all I can say. I’m not thinking far down the line at all. It’s about today. Today we got better against the Chicago Bulls. I can’t tell the future. I can’t speak on that. That’s his opinion. I’m just going to keep playing for the Thunder. I love playing here.

People probably will continue to say that for the next three years.
Unfortunately.

How do you deal with that?
I mean, just let them know I’m not thinking that far down the line, I guess. I mean, I love my teammates. I love where I live. I love playing for this organization. So I’m just taking it a day at a time.

It’s truly unfortunate that a player has to respond to something that a talking head says just because of the strength of the platform from where he speaks, but this is the world we’ve created for ourselves.

Durant responded as he’s likely to for the next three years. But people making “predictions,” no matter how ridiculous, shouldn’t be something that we bother the game’s brightest stars with. Let’s stick to the facts, people — at least as much as possible.

Latest Posts
  1. Jordan Crawford signs in China

Sep 18, 2014, 9:30 AM EDT

Jordan Crawford, Jarrett Jack Jordan Crawford, Jarrett Jack

Last season, Celtics traded Crawford to Warriors, who were unsatisfied with his play

2. Joakim Noah throws better first pitch at Cubs game

Sep 18, 2014, 8:30 AM EDT

Cincinnati Reds v Chicago Cubs Getty Images

Bulls center didn’t fare quite as well at White Sox game

3. Steve Kerr said Danny Ferry made mistake but is a “man of high character”

Sep 18, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT

Steve Kerr Steve Kerr

“Everybody who knows Danny knows that he’s a good person.” —Steve Kerr on Danny Ferry

4. Bucks sign Micheal Eric

Sep 17, 2014, 11:15 PM EDT

NCAA Basketball Tournament - South Florida v Temple Getty Images

Milwaukee will likely waive former Temple center before season

5. Kings give Ryan Hollins fully guaranteed one-year contract

Sep 17, 2014, 10:15 PM EDT

New Orleans Pelicans v Los Angeles Clippers New Orleans Pelicans v Los Angeles Clippers

Clippers rushed to upgrade from Hollins as backup center, the role Hollins will likely hold in Sacramento

6. Knicks sign Orlando Sanchez

Sep 17, 2014, 9:25 PM EDT

Providence v St. John's Providence v St. John's

Sanchez played for St. John’s, Dominican Republic national team

7. Omer Asik wants to just defend, rebound. Which is just fine with Anthony Davis.

Sep 17, 2014, 7:35 PM EDT

New Orleans Hornets v Houston Rockets Getty Images

Asik and Davis could be one of the NBA’s best defensive front lines.

8. Nets sign Hamady Ndiaye to compete for third-center job

Sep 17, 2014, 6:48 PM EDT

2012 Sacramento Kings Media Day 2012 Sacramento Kings Media Day

Brooklyn needs someone behind Brook Lopez and Mason Plumlee

9. Nuggets J.J. Hickson suspended five games for violation of NBA drug policy

Sep 17, 2014, 4:12 PM EDT

Denver Nuggets v Utah Jazz Getty Images

Five games is the standard marijuana suspension, and you have to test positive three separate times to earn it.

10. Brandon Jennings says he added 25 pounds for this season

Sep 17, 2014, 3:26 PM EDT

Brandon Jennings AP

Jennings only shot 52 percent around the rim last year, maybe the muscle helps. Maybe.

11. Chris Bosh was guest DJ on “Ellen”

Sep 17, 2014, 2:55 PM EDT

Chris Bosh Chris Bosh

Chris Bosh is taller than Ellen DeGeneres, which leads to much humor. I guess.

12. Mike Miller knows in Cleveland his role will shrink. He’s good with that.

Sep 17, 2014, 1:59 PM EDT

Mike Miller Mike Miller

His veteran, playoff-tested presence will be big on this team.

13. Timberwolves to open camp with Andrew Wiggins vs. Zach LaVine dunk contest

Sep 17, 2014, 1:19 PM EDT

Andrew Wiggins AP

This is all we want to see out of the Timberwolves anyway.

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches