Kevin Durant responds to ‘prediction’ he’ll leave Thunder in free agency

Oct 25, 2013, 1:31 AM EST

BASKET-TPE-US-NBA Getty Images

LeBron James, Dwyane Wade, Chris Bosh, and Carmelo Anthony all have the ability to opt out of their current deals to become unrestricted free agents following the upcoming season.

There have only been very minor rumblings surrounding these star players, however, because even the inquisitive media members hoping for a story know that there is way too much that can happen over the next nine months or so that can influence those potential decisions.

If being less than a year away from free agency is too far away to predict which way a player might lean, then it would stand to reason that being a few years out would make it even more impossible to determine whether or not someone might leave their current situation when the opportunity presents itself.

Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $15,000 Fantasy Basketball league on October, 30th. It’s $10 to join and first prize is $2,000. Starts October 30th at 7pm ET. Here’s the link.

Kevin Durant is under contract in Oklahoma City through the end of the 2016 season, yet a former player and current analyst made an outlandish and baseless prediction that Durant would leave the Thunder in free agency as soon as he had the chance (and go to Houston). As is always the case in these situations, Durant was asked about this nonsense, and he responded.

From Darnell Mayberry of The Oklahoman:

Q: Did you hear what Jalen Rose said about the Houston thing?
A: Yep.

Do you have any thoughts on that?
Nah, I’m here for the Thunder (laughs). I mean, that’s all I can say. I’m not thinking far down the line at all. It’s about today. Today we got better against the Chicago Bulls. I can’t tell the future. I can’t speak on that. That’s his opinion. I’m just going to keep playing for the Thunder. I love playing here.

People probably will continue to say that for the next three years.
Unfortunately.

How do you deal with that?
I mean, just let them know I’m not thinking that far down the line, I guess. I mean, I love my teammates. I love where I live. I love playing for this organization. So I’m just taking it a day at a time.

It’s truly unfortunate that a player has to respond to something that a talking head says just because of the strength of the platform from where he speaks, but this is the world we’ve created for ourselves.

Durant responded as he’s likely to for the next three years. But people making “predictions,” no matter how ridiculous, shouldn’t be something that we bother the game’s brightest stars with. Let’s stick to the facts, people — at least as much as possible.

Latest Posts
  1. Josh Smith calls Hawks fans “bandwagoners”

Mar 4, 2015, 1:55 AM EST

Houston Rockets v Atlanta Hawks Getty Images

Hawks fans booed Smith every time he touched the ball.

2. Josh Smith rattles in 3-pointer, taunts booing Hawks fans (video)

Mar 3, 2015, 11:33 PM EST

Josh Smith, Paul Millsap, Jeff Teague Josh Smith, Paul Millsap, Jeff Teague

Smith can’t stop shooting 3s, though, and you know how that ends

3. Report: Celtics’ top free-agent target is Kevin Love, Greg Monroe No. 2

Mar 3, 2015, 8:08 PM EST

Kevin Love, Greg Monroe AP

Boston reportedly also plans to try for Marc Gasol, Kawhi Leonard and Jimmy Butler

4. Report: Mavericks, Heat in long line of teams interested in JaVale McGee

Mar 3, 2015, 5:50 PM EST

JaVale McGee JaVale McGee

The list for him is much longer than just two teams. Much longer.

5. Nuggets need to decide direction, then hire coach

Mar 3, 2015, 5:08 PM EST

Kenneth Faried, Brian Shaw AP

What kind of team are they trying to build.

6. Kyrie Irving a gametime decision for Cavaliers vs. Celtics

Mar 3, 2015, 2:55 PM EST

Cleveland Cavaliers v Los Angeles Clippers Getty Images

Irving has missed two straight games with a shoulder strain.

7. Pacers’ David West on Nuggets firing Brian Shaw: ‘That’s bullsh-t. No grownups on the roster.’

Mar 3, 2015, 2:10 PM EST

Indiana Pacers v New Orleans Pelicans Getty Images

Shaw was an assistant coach in Indiana before landing the head coaching spot in Denver.

8. Nuggets have fired head coach Brian Shaw

Mar 3, 2015, 12:38 PM EST

Brian Shaw AP

Nuggets are 20-39 this season.

9. Matt Barnes says if he was the one who kicked LeBron, league would have tried to put him in jail

Mar 3, 2015, 12:30 PM EST

Los Angeles Clippers v Houston Rockets Getty Images

Barnes isn’t wrong that the punishment for him doing something like this would have been much more severe.

10. J.J. Redick ejected for complaining to officials, says Flip Saunders told him to ‘shut the f— up’

Mar 3, 2015, 11:50 AM EST

J.J. Redick, Scott Twardoski J.J. Redick, Scott Twardoski

Clippers have a reputation with the referees, which likely was why Redick was tossed for seemingly innocuous comments.

Is Derrick Rose the next Penny Hardaway?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches