Kevin Durant responds to ‘prediction’ he’ll leave Thunder in free agency

Oct 25, 2013, 1:31 AM EST

BASKET-TPE-US-NBA Getty Images

LeBron James, Dwyane Wade, Chris Bosh, and Carmelo Anthony all have the ability to opt out of their current deals to become unrestricted free agents following the upcoming season.

There have only been very minor rumblings surrounding these star players, however, because even the inquisitive media members hoping for a story know that there is way too much that can happen over the next nine months or so that can influence those potential decisions.

If being less than a year away from free agency is too far away to predict which way a player might lean, then it would stand to reason that being a few years out would make it even more impossible to determine whether or not someone might leave their current situation when the opportunity presents itself.

Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $15,000 Fantasy Basketball league on October, 30th. It’s $10 to join and first prize is $2,000. Starts October 30th at 7pm ET. Here’s the link.

Kevin Durant is under contract in Oklahoma City through the end of the 2016 season, yet a former player and current analyst made an outlandish and baseless prediction that Durant would leave the Thunder in free agency as soon as he had the chance (and go to Houston). As is always the case in these situations, Durant was asked about this nonsense, and he responded.

From Darnell Mayberry of The Oklahoman:

Q: Did you hear what Jalen Rose said about the Houston thing?
A: Yep.

Do you have any thoughts on that?
Nah, I’m here for the Thunder (laughs). I mean, that’s all I can say. I’m not thinking far down the line at all. It’s about today. Today we got better against the Chicago Bulls. I can’t tell the future. I can’t speak on that. That’s his opinion. I’m just going to keep playing for the Thunder. I love playing here.

People probably will continue to say that for the next three years.
Unfortunately.

How do you deal with that?
I mean, just let them know I’m not thinking that far down the line, I guess. I mean, I love my teammates. I love where I live. I love playing for this organization. So I’m just taking it a day at a time.

It’s truly unfortunate that a player has to respond to something that a talking head says just because of the strength of the platform from where he speaks, but this is the world we’ve created for ourselves.

Durant responded as he’s likely to for the next three years. But people making “predictions,” no matter how ridiculous, shouldn’t be something that we bother the game’s brightest stars with. Let’s stick to the facts, people — at least as much as possible.

Latest Posts
  1. Russell Westbrook doesn’t want to talk about passing, willing to shoot fewer 3-pointers

Dec 22, 2014, 7:54 PM EST

New Orleans Pelicans v Oklahoma City Thunder Getty Images

Thunder point guard both dismissive and introspective after loss to Pelicans

2. Flip Saunders says Minnesota fans will not forgive Kevin Love for leaving them

Dec 22, 2014, 6:59 PM EST

Kevin Love, Alan Anderson, Mason Plumlee Kevin Love, Alan Anderson, Mason Plumlee

Love will be booed more vehemently on Tuesday than LeBron will on Thursday.

3. Brook Lopez wants to play a Wookie in next Star Wars film

Dec 22, 2014, 6:17 PM EST

2014 Brooklyn Nets Media Day Getty Images

Well, it would be better than more Jar Jar Binks.

4. PBT Extra: Where might Josh Smith end up after Pistons’ bold stroke?

Dec 22, 2014, 4:35 PM EST

Josh Smith AP

The Rockets are the frontrunners to land him.

5. Report: Jameer Nelson and Celtics discuss future, no buyout discussions yet

Dec 22, 2014, 3:05 PM EST

Jameer Nelson, Mario Chalmers AP

Boston might try to re-trade point guard acquired in Rajon Rondo deal

6. Knicks Samuel Dalembert fined $15,000 for elbowing Jonas Valanciunas in face (VIDEO)

Dec 22, 2014, 1:01 PM EST

Phoenix Suns v New York Knicks Getty Images

Maybe Dalembert wanted to get ejected so he didn’t have to watch any more of the Raptors easy win over the Knicks.

7. Pistons release Josh Smith. WHAT?

Dec 22, 2014, 12:21 PM EST

Brooklyn Nets v Detroit Pistons Getty Images

Pistons use stretch provision on forward owed more than $35 million

8. Victor Oladipo, focused on effort and defense, still finds time to raise offense

Dec 22, 2014, 10:29 AM EST

Toronto Raptors beat the Orlando Magic 95-82 Getty Images

Magic guard avoiding sophomore slump of other top 2013-14 rookies

9. 76ers were third team in Corey Brewer trade, send Alexey Shved to Rockets

Dec 22, 2014, 9:39 AM EST

Atlanta Hawks v Houston Rockets Getty Images

Philadelphia will waive Turiaf, who’s injured and out for season

10. Lakers may give Kobe Bryant some nights off to rest. If he wants them.

Dec 22, 2014, 9:00 AM EST

Los Angeles Lakers v Sacramento Kings Getty Images

Byron Scott can tell Kobe to rest, but it will be Kobe’s decision. Kobe has the power in that relationship.

11. PBT’s Sunday Night Winners/Losers: Anthony Davis is playing like an MVP

Dec 22, 2014, 1:43 AM EST

Anthony Davis, Chris Kaman AP

Quality win for LeBron James and the Cavaliers as well.

12. Rudy Gay dunks on all the Lakers (VIDEO)

Dec 22, 2014, 12:39 AM EST

Rudy Gay Rudy Gay

The seas part and Rudy Gay had a path to the rim.

Jabari Parker injury latest for disappointing rookie class
Top 10 NBA Player Searches