Kevin Durant responds to ‘prediction’ he’ll leave Thunder in free agency

Oct 25, 2013, 1:31 AM EDT

BASKET-TPE-US-NBA Getty Images

LeBron James, Dwyane Wade, Chris Bosh, and Carmelo Anthony all have the ability to opt out of their current deals to become unrestricted free agents following the upcoming season.

There have only been very minor rumblings surrounding these star players, however, because even the inquisitive media members hoping for a story know that there is way too much that can happen over the next nine months or so that can influence those potential decisions.

If being less than a year away from free agency is too far away to predict which way a player might lean, then it would stand to reason that being a few years out would make it even more impossible to determine whether or not someone might leave their current situation when the opportunity presents itself.

Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $15,000 Fantasy Basketball league on October, 30th. It’s $10 to join and first prize is $2,000. Starts October 30th at 7pm ET. Here’s the link.

Kevin Durant is under contract in Oklahoma City through the end of the 2016 season, yet a former player and current analyst made an outlandish and baseless prediction that Durant would leave the Thunder in free agency as soon as he had the chance (and go to Houston). As is always the case in these situations, Durant was asked about this nonsense, and he responded.

From Darnell Mayberry of The Oklahoman:

Q: Did you hear what Jalen Rose said about the Houston thing?
A: Yep.

Do you have any thoughts on that?
Nah, I’m here for the Thunder (laughs). I mean, that’s all I can say. I’m not thinking far down the line at all. It’s about today. Today we got better against the Chicago Bulls. I can’t tell the future. I can’t speak on that. That’s his opinion. I’m just going to keep playing for the Thunder. I love playing here.

People probably will continue to say that for the next three years.
Unfortunately.

How do you deal with that?
I mean, just let them know I’m not thinking that far down the line, I guess. I mean, I love my teammates. I love where I live. I love playing for this organization. So I’m just taking it a day at a time.

It’s truly unfortunate that a player has to respond to something that a talking head says just because of the strength of the platform from where he speaks, but this is the world we’ve created for ourselves.

Durant responded as he’s likely to for the next three years. But people making “predictions,” no matter how ridiculous, shouldn’t be something that we bother the game’s brightest stars with. Let’s stick to the facts, people — at least as much as possible.

Latest Posts
  1. Report: Cleveland Cavaliers reach out to veteran Tayshaun Prince

Jul 1, 2015, 8:30 AM EDT

Indiana Pacers v Detroit Pistons Getty Images

Prince played better than you’d think last season, but he will turn 36 this coming year.

2. Report: Kings aggressively pursuing Rajon Rondo

Jul 1, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT

Dallas Mavericks v New Orleans Pelicans Dallas Mavericks v New Orleans Pelicans

Does putting Rajon Rondo, DeMarcus Cousins and George Karl in close proximity to each other for an entire NBA season seem like a good idea?

3. Report: Nets reach deals to re-sign Brook Lopez and Thaddeus Young

Jul 1, 2015, 2:12 AM EDT

Atlanta Hawks v Brooklyn Nets- Game Four Atlanta Hawks v Brooklyn Nets- Game Four

Lopez gets three years, $60 million; Young gets four years, $50 million.

4. Report: Pacers pushing hard to sign Monta Ellis

Jul 1, 2015, 1:58 AM EDT

Monta Ellis Monta Ellis

The Hawks, Nuggets and Kings are also interested.

5. Report: Kevin Love to meet with Lakers later in week

Jul 1, 2015, 12:13 AM EDT

Atlanta Hawks v Cleveland Cavaliers - Game Four Getty Images

Love said he was committed to Cleveland, now he is flirting with other teams.

6. Report: Wizards “increasingly optimistic” they can retain Paul Pierce

Jun 30, 2015, 9:01 PM EDT

Atlanta Hawks v Washington Wizards-Game Six Getty Images

The Clippers want him, but they have other, larger concerns.

7. Reports: Warriors, Hornets both interested in Marco Belinelli

Jun 30, 2015, 8:16 PM EDT

belinelli AP

It’s a deep pool of shooters in free agency.

8. LeBron James wants Mike Dunleavy on Cavaliers, more likely gets Mo Williams

Jun 30, 2015, 6:45 PM EDT

Charlotte Hornets v Indiana Pacers Getty Images

Mo Williams can still score, he’d be a good pickup for the Cavs.

9. Report: Greg Monroe to meet with Knicks, Lakers, Bucks, Blazers to start free agency

Jun 30, 2015, 6:03 PM EDT

Cleveland Cavaliers v Detroit Pistons Getty Images

Monroe finally has the free agency he turned down a lot of cash to get.

10. Report: Jimmy Butler postpones meetings with other teams after max qualifying offer from Bulls

Jun 30, 2015, 4:44 PM EDT

Chicago Bulls v Portland Trail Blazers Chicago Bulls v Portland Trail Blazers

There is a clear compromise of three years at the max, but will the Bulls and Butler get there

Top 10 NBA Player Searches