Kevin Durant responds to ‘prediction’ he’ll leave Thunder in free agency

Oct 25, 2013, 1:31 AM EST

BASKET-TPE-US-NBA Getty Images

LeBron James, Dwyane Wade, Chris Bosh, and Carmelo Anthony all have the ability to opt out of their current deals to become unrestricted free agents following the upcoming season.

There have only been very minor rumblings surrounding these star players, however, because even the inquisitive media members hoping for a story know that there is way too much that can happen over the next nine months or so that can influence those potential decisions.

If being less than a year away from free agency is too far away to predict which way a player might lean, then it would stand to reason that being a few years out would make it even more impossible to determine whether or not someone might leave their current situation when the opportunity presents itself.

Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $15,000 Fantasy Basketball league on October, 30th. It’s $10 to join and first prize is $2,000. Starts October 30th at 7pm ET. Here’s the link.

Kevin Durant is under contract in Oklahoma City through the end of the 2016 season, yet a former player and current analyst made an outlandish and baseless prediction that Durant would leave the Thunder in free agency as soon as he had the chance (and go to Houston). As is always the case in these situations, Durant was asked about this nonsense, and he responded.

From Darnell Mayberry of The Oklahoman:

Q: Did you hear what Jalen Rose said about the Houston thing?
A: Yep.

Do you have any thoughts on that?
Nah, I’m here for the Thunder (laughs). I mean, that’s all I can say. I’m not thinking far down the line at all. It’s about today. Today we got better against the Chicago Bulls. I can’t tell the future. I can’t speak on that. That’s his opinion. I’m just going to keep playing for the Thunder. I love playing here.

People probably will continue to say that for the next three years.
Unfortunately.

How do you deal with that?
I mean, just let them know I’m not thinking that far down the line, I guess. I mean, I love my teammates. I love where I live. I love playing for this organization. So I’m just taking it a day at a time.

It’s truly unfortunate that a player has to respond to something that a talking head says just because of the strength of the platform from where he speaks, but this is the world we’ve created for ourselves.

Durant responded as he’s likely to for the next three years. But people making “predictions,” no matter how ridiculous, shouldn’t be something that we bother the game’s brightest stars with. Let’s stick to the facts, people — at least as much as possible.

Latest Posts
  1. Kevin Durant to miss Thunder-Timberwolves game with sprained big toe

Jan 26, 2015, 8:11 PM EST

kevin Durant kevin Durant

Durant suffered the injury on Sunday in Cleveland.

2. PBT Extra: Who should be the All-Star Game reserves?

Jan 26, 2015, 7:30 PM EST

James Harden, Jeremy Lin AP

Will Steve Kerr start Klay Thompson or James Harden?

3. Report: Kobe Bryant “definitively coming back to play next season”

Jan 26, 2015, 6:43 PM EST

Phoenix Suns v Los Angeles Lakers Getty Images

Did you really think Kobe Bryant was going to leave the game on anything but his own terms?

4. Kobe Bryant to have surgery on shoulder, is done for season

Jan 26, 2015, 3:37 PM EST

Kobe Bryant AP

He should be back for the start of next season.

5. PBT’s Weekly NBA Power Rankings: Hawks continue to fly high

Jan 26, 2015, 2:38 PM EST

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznptnmmtzkyjjhzgm1zdzlogjiyza4mgjimdhiyjc2mjcy AP

It’s Hawks and Warriors and everyone else. Just as its been for a while now.

6. Kobe Bryant wanted to sign with Michael Jordan’s Wizards

Jan 26, 2015, 2:04 PM EST

Kobe Bryant with Michael Jordan Getty Images

After Washington pushed out Jordan, Kobe re-signed with Lakers

7. Nick Young benched because Byron Scott thought Lakers guard ‘didn’t want to be there’

Jan 26, 2015, 11:47 AM EST

The Los Angeles Sports And Entertainment Commission's 11th Annual Lakers All-Access Event Getty Images

Lakers coach asked Young about his defense. ‘The answer he gave me, I couldn’t figure it out.’

8. Pau Gasol’s trade tip put his and Marc Gasol’s All-Star futures in motion

Jan 26, 2015, 11:44 AM EST

Chicago Bulls v Memphis Grizzlies Getty Images

Gasols, Pau of the Bulls and Marc of the Grizzlies, become first brothers to start an NBA All-Star game

9. Reports: Kings at Knicks, Trail Blazers at Nets games Monday postponed due to coming storm

Jan 26, 2015, 11:09 AM EST

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznptmzywjlotg5yji0ngq5mjezytm4mtg0mte4nge4zgq3 AP

With the storm bearing down on the Northeast, this is the right move by the league.

10. Did win over Lakers break Rockets out of their defensive slump?

Jan 26, 2015, 8:30 AM EST

Houston Rockets v Los Angeles Lakers Getty Images

Was it good defense or just that the Lakers were that bad?

Stephen Curry leads NBA MVP race mid-season