Oct 25, 2013, 1:31 AM EDT
There have only been very minor rumblings surrounding these star players, however, because even the inquisitive media members hoping for a story know that there is way too much that can happen over the next nine months or so that can influence those potential decisions.
If being less than a year away from free agency is too far away to predict which way a player might lean, then it would stand to reason that being a few years out would make it even more impossible to determine whether or not someone might leave their current situation when the opportunity presents itself.
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $15,000 Fantasy Basketball league on October, 30th. It’s $10 to join and first prize is $2,000. Starts October 30th at 7pm ET. Here’s the link.
Kevin Durant is under contract in Oklahoma City through the end of the 2016 season, yet a former player and current analyst made an outlandish and baseless prediction that Durant would leave the Thunder in free agency as soon as he had the chance (and go to Houston). As is always the case in these situations, Durant was asked about this nonsense, and he responded.
Q: Did you hear what Jalen Rose said about the Houston thing?
Do you have any thoughts on that?
Nah, I’m here for the Thunder (laughs). I mean, that’s all I can say. I’m not thinking far down the line at all. It’s about today. Today we got better against the Chicago Bulls. I can’t tell the future. I can’t speak on that. That’s his opinion. I’m just going to keep playing for the Thunder. I love playing here.
People probably will continue to say that for the next three years.
How do you deal with that?
I mean, just let them know I’m not thinking that far down the line, I guess. I mean, I love my teammates. I love where I live. I love playing for this organization. So I’m just taking it a day at a time.
It’s truly unfortunate that a player has to respond to something that a talking head says just because of the strength of the platform from where he speaks, but this is the world we’ve created for ourselves.
Durant responded as he’s likely to for the next three years. But people making “predictions,” no matter how ridiculous, shouldn’t be something that we bother the game’s brightest stars with. Let’s stick to the facts, people — at least as much as possible.
- Cavaliers sold Kyrie Irving on contract extension with LeBron James-Kevin Love plan 32
- Kevin Love says Timberwolves owner should focus on his own team following trade to Cavaliers 32
- Iman Shumpert excited to play in triangle offense because he won’t just have to stand in the corner 6
- Timberwolves owner: Kevin Love might regret trade because he’ll be third banana with Cavaliers 48
- Anthony Davis and Kenneth Faried lead Team USA in final World Cup tune-up 20
- Thunder trade Hasheem Thabeet to 76ers 37
- From late-arriving to a LeBron James favorite, Kevin Love comes full circle 17
- Clippers trade Jared Dudley and first rounder to Bucks for Carlos Delfino and Miroslav Raduljica 23