Oct 25, 2013, 12:49 PM EST
Not to spoil a story in the first sentence, but this may well not come together. One month ago Celtics GM Danny Ainge said he would wait until next summer when Avery Bradley was a restricted free agent to talk about a new deal with him. Meaning he planned to let the marketplace set his price after this season.
Now, the two sides are at least talking extension, reports A. Sherrod Blakely at CSNNE.com. Ainge wouldn’t give any details on where those talks stand, only that there have been some talks now.
Bradley started every preseason game for the Celtics and appears to be a favorite of new coach Brad Stevens. Bradley brings fantastic on-ball defense and in the preseason has been one of the more consistent offensive weapons on the team despite shooting just 37.8 percent. (Gerald Wallace has been the best offensive player… what, you expected a consistent Jeff Green?)
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $15,000 Fantasy Basketball league on October, 30th. It’s $10 to join and first prize is $2,000. Starts October 30th at 7pm ET. Here’s the link.
The question, of course, is money.
Bradley is a potential defensive stopper but with questions on the other end of the floor, he’s not a franchise guy. He likely ends up a quality part of a future contending team. You could argue he is worth more than Green and Boston overpaid him at $9 million a year.
Four years in the $7 million to $8 million a year range ($30 million total)? That seems fair to me, but the Celtics may want to wait this year out and see what the market would offer next summer. That could save them some cash.
My guess is next summer is when this gets settled, but we’ll see.
- League execs on Kyrie Irving’s recent struggles: ‘He’s pouting’ 24
- Report: Knicks have ‘zero intention’ of trading Carmelo Anthony 12
- PBT Podcast for Dec. 7: Kobe’s back and for the Lakers that means…. 6
- Kobe Bryant returning Sunday against Raptors 22
- Report: Rockets stepping up efforts to move Omer Asik 17
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (48)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (45)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (44)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)