Oct 25, 2013, 12:49 PM EDT
Not to spoil a story in the first sentence, but this may well not come together. One month ago Celtics GM Danny Ainge said he would wait until next summer when Avery Bradley was a restricted free agent to talk about a new deal with him. Meaning he planned to let the marketplace set his price after this season.
Now, the two sides are at least talking extension, reports A. Sherrod Blakely at CSNNE.com. Ainge wouldn’t give any details on where those talks stand, only that there have been some talks now.
Bradley started every preseason game for the Celtics and appears to be a favorite of new coach Brad Stevens. Bradley brings fantastic on-ball defense and in the preseason has been one of the more consistent offensive weapons on the team despite shooting just 37.8 percent. (Gerald Wallace has been the best offensive player… what, you expected a consistent Jeff Green?)
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $15,000 Fantasy Basketball league on October, 30th. It’s $10 to join and first prize is $2,000. Starts October 30th at 7pm ET. Here’s the link.
The question, of course, is money.
Bradley is a potential defensive stopper but with questions on the other end of the floor, he’s not a franchise guy. He likely ends up a quality part of a future contending team. You could argue he is worth more than Green and Boston overpaid him at $9 million a year.
Four years in the $7 million to $8 million a year range ($30 million total)? That seems fair to me, but the Celtics may want to wait this year out and see what the market would offer next summer. That could save them some cash.
My guess is next summer is when this gets settled, but we’ll see.
- PBT Extra: Spurs lead Texas winners in NBA Free Agency 0
- J.J. Redick: Clippers deserve “F” for free agency after losing DeAndre Jordan 22
- PBT Podcast: Free agency’s winners and losers 0
- Report: Boston Celtics agree to trade for David Lee for Gerald Wallace 18
- Report: Kevin Garnett to re-sign with Timberwolves 18
- Report: Mo Williams signing with Cavaliers for most of their MLE 24
- Report: Cavaliers, Clippers discussing Jamal Crawford for Brendan Haywood trade 26
- Reports: David West agrees to veteran minimum deal to play for Spurs 80