Rondo says he is “87%” and “won’t come back unless I know I’m myself again”

Oct 24, 2013, 11:07 AM EDT

Rajon Rondo AP

There still is no timeline, no date set for Rajon Rondo to return to the Celtics from the ACL injury he suffered last January — yet there are positive signs that time is near. He has been working out on the court daily and said he got fitted recently for a knee brace, which happens right before he is cleared for contact in practice.

Still Rondo refused to play the timeline game with reporters on Wednesday night when the Celtics hosted the Brooklyn Nets for a preseason clash, other than to say he likely will not be ready for the season opener next Wednesday against Toronto, reports A. Sherrod Blakely at CSNNE.com.

Sounds good, right?

Then in a statement that echoed Derrick Rose from last season, Rondo said he wasn’t just going to race back, as reported by the Boston Globe.

“I’ll know when it’s right,” he said. “Everybody is different, each injury is different… For me, when I come back, I won’t come back unless I know I’m myself again….

“I’ll know when it’s right,” he said. “Everybody is different, each injury is different… For me, when I come back, I won’t come back unless I know I’m myself again.”

Even more Rose-like, he said when he can jump off his right leg and dunk he’ll know he’s ready.

Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $15,000 Fantasy Basketball league on October, 30th. It’s $10 to join and first prize is $2,000. Starts October 30th at 7pm ET. Here’s the link.

That said, this is not going to be the same kind of situation. First, Rose’s injury was in April, Rondo in January so we’re talking months of extra rehab. Rondo said he wants to get out there and lead this rebuilding team.

However, like Rose he should not rush this — it’s not about this season (a rebuilding one in Boston), it’s about the next decade of his career. He needs to go slow and get this fully healed, not push back to win a couple extra games in November.

He’ll be back when he’s ready. It just doesn’t feel like that is this far away.

Latest Posts
  1. Report: Kobe Bryant studying Paul Pierce on how to adapt game as he ages

Aug 28, 2014, 11:05 AM EDT

Paul Pierce, Kobe Bryant

If you’re trying to age your game gracefully, Pierce is a great model.

2. Derrick Rose dismisses injury concern after blah showing against Slovenia

Aug 28, 2014, 9:52 AM EDT

Derrick Rose, Anderson Varejao, Raulzinho Neto Derrick Rose, Anderson Varejao, Raulzinho Neto

Rose will probably have to prove it while coming off the bench behind Kyrie Irving in World Cup

3. World Cup preview: No Durant, no problem USA still one of two teams with legit shot to win gold

Aug 28, 2014, 8:45 AM EDT

Team USA Showcase Getty Images

Doesn’t matter who didn’t show up, the guys that did make Team USA one of two teams with a legit shot at gold.

4. Report: Leandro Barbosa reaches deal with Warriors

Aug 28, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT

Indiana Pacers v Phoenix Suns Getty Images

For a third point guard signed for the league minimum, this is a nice pickup. Not thrilling, but nice.

5. Lakers work out seven NBA veteran free agents beyond Michael Beasley

Aug 28, 2014, 12:20 AM EDT

New Orleans Pelicans v Los Angeles Lakers Getty Images

Dexter Pittman, Greg Stiemsma, Daniel Orton, Bobby Brown, Toney Douglas, Ben Hansbrough and Malcolm Lee try out

6. Robbie Hummel to release hip-hop album. Wait. What?

Aug 27, 2014, 11:20 PM EDT

Robbie Hummel Robbie Hummel

NBA news you definitely didn’t expect to read today

7. Jerry Colangelo on James Harden leading Team USA: ‘He’s the one’

Aug 27, 2014, 10:20 PM EDT

Puerto Rico v United States Getty Images

Rockets guard continues to draw praise after offseason of petty comments

8. Dion Waiters: Kevin Love ‘thinks I’m underrated’ and ‘knows I pass the ball’

Aug 27, 2014, 7:22 PM EDT

Dion Walters, Kevin Love Dion Walters, Kevin Love

Waiters on the possibility of playing with Love, LeBron James and Kyrie Irving: ‘I’ve got to destroy my opponent’

9. Michael Beasley gets second Lakers workout

Aug 27, 2014, 5:00 PM EDT

Los Angeles Lakers v Miami Heat Getty Images

Former No. 2 remains unsigned after disappointing season with Heat

10. Doc Rivers got PAID

Aug 27, 2014, 4:22 PM EDT

San Antonio Spurs v Los Angeles Clippers Getty Images

New contract with Clippers makes Rivers the NBA’s highest-paid coach

11. Russian guard Dmitry Kulagin, with Kings interest, considering jumping to NBA

Aug 27, 2014, 3:41 PM EDT

Adidas Eurocamp - Day 3 Getty Images

Kulagin, 22, went undrafted and is now an unrestricted free agent

12. Cavaliers sold Kyrie Irving on contract extension with LeBron James-Kevin Love plan

Aug 27, 2014, 2:22 PM EDT

Cleveland Cavaliers v Miami Heat Cleveland Cavaliers v Miami Heat

Go back to July 1 and consider the possibility of LeBron James and Kevin Love playing for Cleveland this season

Will LeBron get booed Christmas Day in Miami?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches