Oct 24, 2013, 11:07 AM EDT
There still is no timeline, no date set for Rajon Rondo to return to the Celtics from the ACL injury he suffered last January — yet there are positive signs that time is near. He has been working out on the court daily and said he got fitted recently for a knee brace, which happens right before he is cleared for contact in practice.
Still Rondo refused to play the timeline game with reporters on Wednesday night when the Celtics hosted the Brooklyn Nets for a preseason clash, other than to say he likely will not be ready for the season opener next Wednesday against Toronto, reports A. Sherrod Blakely at CSNNE.com.
Sounds good, right?
Then in a statement that echoed Derrick Rose from last season, Rondo said he wasn’t just going to race back, as reported by the Boston Globe.
“I’ll know when it’s right,” he said. “Everybody is different, each injury is different… For me, when I come back, I won’t come back unless I know I’m myself again….
“I’ll know when it’s right,” he said. “Everybody is different, each injury is different… For me, when I come back, I won’t come back unless I know I’m myself again.”
Even more Rose-like, he said when he can jump off his right leg and dunk he’ll know he’s ready.
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $15,000 Fantasy Basketball league on October, 30th. It’s $10 to join and first prize is $2,000. Starts October 30th at 7pm ET. Here’s the link.
That said, this is not going to be the same kind of situation. First, Rose’s injury was in April, Rondo in January so we’re talking months of extra rehab. Rondo said he wants to get out there and lead this rebuilding team.
However, like Rose he should not rush this — it’s not about this season (a rebuilding one in Boston), it’s about the next decade of his career. He needs to go slow and get this fully healed, not push back to win a couple extra games in November.
He’ll be back when he’s ready. It just doesn’t feel like that is this far away.
- Mavericks signing Al-Farouq Aminu to two-year, minimum salary contract 5
- Report: Ballmer’s $2 billion Clippers offer nearly double what Bank of America valued team at 12
- Report: Jameer Nelson near $2.7 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 13
- Report: Mavericks void Rashard Lewis’ contract after it’s discovered he needs knee surgery 10
- Report: Sixers, Nuggets or Celtics could become third team in Kevin Love trade to Cavaliers 48
- Five biggest surprises from Summer League 13
- Justin Bieber and Kevin Durant share brunch (photo) 22
- Clippers CEO: If Sterling remains owner then Doc Rivers, players, sponsors all ready to bolt 61