Oct 24, 2013, 1:26 PM EDT
Phoenix is rebuilding — and completely “riggin’ for Wiggins” — but over the summer they went and got one cornerstone piece. Eric Bledsoe was one of the big trade chips on the market last year and the Suns got him as the point guard of the future (they sent Jared Dudley to the Clippers in a deal that should be a win for both sides).
Now the Suns are trying to lock Bledsoe up.
The Suns have until Halloween to lock Bledsoe up to a contract extension (if not he becomes a restricted free agent next summer) and they are trying to, reports arizonasports.com.
Nonetheless, general manager Ryan McDonough, while on Arizona Sports 620’s Burns & Gambo show Wednesday, agreed that Bledsoe does figure into the team’s long-term plans. McDonough said contract talks with the fourth-year player have gone “pretty well” to this point.
“If we’re not able to work out a deal (by Oct. 31), we would start next summer with Eric as a restricted free agent, but obviously we’re hoping to get something done before that,” the general manager said.
We’ll see if they can reach a deal. Bledsoe wants an eight-figure salary — and given the importance of the point guard that’s not unreasonable. The Suns could ultimately let the market set his price next summer then just match it, but that comes with the risk of unhappy players (see: Eric Gordon). Better to just lock him up.
Bledsoe should put up good numbers this season. New coach Jeff Hornacek wants to run and with Bledsoe and Goran Dragic in transition their should be opportunities. We’ll see this year how Bledsoe does with more minutes, having to guard bigger players (he’ll be at the two guard a lot) and how well he works off the ball. Can he distribute and lead, not just score?
There are questions, but not ones serious enough to keep the Suns from trying to get a number done.
- Report: Kevin Garnett to re-sign with Timberwolves 0
- Report: Mo Williams signing with Cavaliers for most of their MLE 19
- Report: Cavaliers, Clippers discussing Jamal Crawford for Brendan Haywood trade 26
- Reports: David West agrees to veteran minimum deal to play for Spurs 76
- Report: Marc Gasol, Grizzlies reach deal on five-year, $110 million contract 9
- Manu Ginobili tweets he’ll play next season 5
- Who is left: 15 best free agents still on the board 14
- Report: Detroit Pistons sign restricted free agent Reggie Jackson for five-years, $80 million 38