Oct 24, 2013, 1:26 PM EST
Phoenix is rebuilding — and completely “riggin’ for Wiggins” — but over the summer they went and got one cornerstone piece. Eric Bledsoe was one of the big trade chips on the market last year and the Suns got him as the point guard of the future (they sent Jared Dudley to the Clippers in a deal that should be a win for both sides).
Now the Suns are trying to lock Bledsoe up.
The Suns have until Halloween to lock Bledsoe up to a contract extension (if not he becomes a restricted free agent next summer) and they are trying to, reports arizonasports.com.
Nonetheless, general manager Ryan McDonough, while on Arizona Sports 620’s Burns & Gambo show Wednesday, agreed that Bledsoe does figure into the team’s long-term plans. McDonough said contract talks with the fourth-year player have gone “pretty well” to this point.
“If we’re not able to work out a deal (by Oct. 31), we would start next summer with Eric as a restricted free agent, but obviously we’re hoping to get something done before that,” the general manager said.
We’ll see if they can reach a deal. Bledsoe wants an eight-figure salary — and given the importance of the point guard that’s not unreasonable. The Suns could ultimately let the market set his price next summer then just match it, but that comes with the risk of unhappy players (see: Eric Gordon). Better to just lock him up.
Bledsoe should put up good numbers this season. New coach Jeff Hornacek wants to run and with Bledsoe and Goran Dragic in transition their should be opportunities. We’ll see this year how Bledsoe does with more minutes, having to guard bigger players (he’ll be at the two guard a lot) and how well he works off the ball. Can he distribute and lead, not just score?
There are questions, but not ones serious enough to keep the Suns from trying to get a number done.
- Kobe Bryant to have surgery on shoulder, is done for season 0
- PBT’s Weekly NBA Power Rankings: Hawks continue to fly high 1
- Kobe Bryant wanted to sign with Michael Jordan’s Wizards 3
- Pau Gasol’s trade tip put his and Marc Gasol’s All-Star futures in motion 1
- Reports: Kings at Knicks, Trail Blazers at Nets games Monday postponed due to coming storm 5
- Did win over Lakers break Rockets out of their defensive slump? 9
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: Thunder don’t look like playoff team yet 24
- Report: Hornets, Nets talking possible Lance Stephenson for Joe Johnson trade 10