Oct 24, 2013, 7:13 PM EST
So the Indiana Pacers season opener is going to look a lot like the end of last season — no Danny Granger.
That’s what coach Frank Vogel said Thursday when talking about the Pacers season opener Tuesday night against Orlando, reports the Indianapolis Star. At least this is something they should be used to.
Pacers coach Frank Vogel said after practice on Thursday the strained calf suffered by Granger last week is worse than previously thought and he doubts the former all-star forward will play in the team’s regular season-opener against Orlando on Tuesday.
“There’s a chance he could play (against the Magic), but it’s probably unlikely,” Vogel said.
Granger says he is day-to-day and could play, but players are notorious for underestimating their return time.
This is not going to matter against the lowly Magic opening night, but getting Granger back is key to the Pacers season one way or another.
If that match doesn’t work — or if the Pacers feel they are going to lose Granger for nothing next summer as he is in the last year of his contract — they can shop him around to get pieces that fit better. (This seems the more likely option, but Indiana may find a tough market for Granger.
Either way, he can’t fit in or be showcased for a trade until he gets healthy. And that apparently is still a week away at least.
- Tuesday night NBA Grades: Kobe plays pretty well, Suns’ backcourt plays better 0
- Pacers win first Conference Finals rematch vs. Heat 14
- Days before he faced LeBron, Paul George said Durant is NBA’s toughest cover 25
- A day later, Kobe didn’t think he played quite so bad 12
- Why question “When did basketball get so bad?” misses mark 55
- Why question “When did basketball get so bad?” misses mark (55)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (54)
- Durant tells “60 Minutes Sports” he’s still tired of being No. 2 (35)
- Report: Heat shopping Joel Anthony, seeking depth behind Wade (35)
- Fan wanders onto court while game is going on during Cavaliers-Clippers (VIDEO) (34)