Oct 24, 2013, 7:13 PM EST
So the Indiana Pacers season opener is going to look a lot like the end of last season — no Danny Granger.
That’s what coach Frank Vogel said Thursday when talking about the Pacers season opener Tuesday night against Orlando, reports the Indianapolis Star. At least this is something they should be used to.
Pacers coach Frank Vogel said after practice on Thursday the strained calf suffered by Granger last week is worse than previously thought and he doubts the former all-star forward will play in the team’s regular season-opener against Orlando on Tuesday.
“There’s a chance he could play (against the Magic), but it’s probably unlikely,” Vogel said.
Granger says he is day-to-day and could play, but players are notorious for underestimating their return time.
This is not going to matter against the lowly Magic opening night, but getting Granger back is key to the Pacers season one way or another.
If that match doesn’t work — or if the Pacers feel they are going to lose Granger for nothing next summer as he is in the last year of his contract — they can shop him around to get pieces that fit better. (This seems the more likely option, but Indiana may find a tough market for Granger.
Either way, he can’t fit in or be showcased for a trade until he gets healthy. And that apparently is still a week away at least.
- No stars, no problem: Spurs reserves too much for Warriors in 104-102 win 0
- Kobe injury a reality check for Lakers, doesn’t really change plan 6
- Spurs will rest Tim Duncan and Manu Ginobili in nationally televised game, Tony Parker also out 25
- Kobe Bryant is out six weeks with fracture in the left knee 56
- Chicago columnist hammers Derrick Rose as no longer humble star 35
- Kobe Bryant is out six weeks with fracture in the left knee (56)
- Report: Heat have interest in Celtics’ Jordan Crawford (50)
- Pau Gasol expresses frustration with D’Antoni offense. Lakers have to think trade. (49)
- Mike D’Antoni to Pau Gasol: “There’s no reason to not play hard” (48)
- LeBron did foul Paul George on final shot but there was no call (VIDEO) (44)