Oct 24, 2013, 8:47 PM EDT
When the Sixers traded for Royce White back in July — surrendering the draft rights to international prospect Furkan Aldemir, future considerations and cash — there was some buzz around the league the Sixers were more interested in Aldemir than White, who was just a salary.
That appears to be the case.
White was one of four players waived by Philadelphia on Thursday, reports CSNPhilly.com.
A league source confirmed to CSNPhilly.com’s Dei Lynam that Khalif Wyatt, Royce White, Vander Blue and Mac Koshwal have all been released. The news was first reported by the Bucks County Courier Times’ Tom Moore, citing Sixers president/general manager Sam Hinkie. The Sixers have yet to make an official announcement.
White was the No. 22 pick of the Houston Rockets in 2012, but he never played for them. He battles a generalized anxiety disorder that includes a fear of flying, although he did make a trip with the Sixers this preseason. But more than that, there are reports that the Sixers (like the Rockets) were frustrated his attitude, feeling he was claiming to want help and to work with a team but at every point tearing apart those efforts.
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $15,000 Fantasy Basketball league on October, 30th. It’s $10 to join and first prize is $2,000. Starts October 30th at 7pm ET. Here’s the link.
Houston traded him to Philadelphia this summer and from the outside he seemed to be turning over a new leaf. This preseason he played in five games, starting one, but shooting 39.1 percent. White handled his departure with class.
There is on the court talent there, but it is unclear if he will ever really develop it. Or get the chance to. No NBA team will pick him up now, he is on to the D-League again if he wants to play this season.
- Why I am going to miss Steve Nash 26
- Victor Oladipo out indefinitely after taking elbow in practice, suffering facial fracture 13
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New Orleans Pelicans 9
- Five teams poised to make a big leap forward this season 5
- Steve Nash to miss entire 2014-15 season with ongoing back injuries 69
- Jeanie Buss: ‘Any free agent that would be afraid to play with Kobe Bryant is probably a loser’ 71
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Memphis Grizzlies 8
- Five top candidates for NBA Rookie of the Year 30