Oct 24, 2013, 8:47 PM EDT
When the Sixers traded for Royce White back in July — surrendering the draft rights to international prospect Furkan Aldemir, future considerations and cash — there was some buzz around the league the Sixers were more interested in Aldemir than White, who was just a salary.
That appears to be the case.
White was one of four players waived by Philadelphia on Thursday, reports CSNPhilly.com.
A league source confirmed to CSNPhilly.com’s Dei Lynam that Khalif Wyatt, Royce White, Vander Blue and Mac Koshwal have all been released. The news was first reported by the Bucks County Courier Times’ Tom Moore, citing Sixers president/general manager Sam Hinkie. The Sixers have yet to make an official announcement.
White was the No. 22 pick of the Houston Rockets in 2012, but he never played for them. He battles a generalized anxiety disorder that includes a fear of flying, although he did make a trip with the Sixers this preseason. But more than that, there are reports that the Sixers (like the Rockets) were frustrated his attitude, feeling he was claiming to want help and to work with a team but at every point tearing apart those efforts.
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $15,000 Fantasy Basketball league on October, 30th. It’s $10 to join and first prize is $2,000. Starts October 30th at 7pm ET. Here’s the link.
Houston traded him to Philadelphia this summer and from the outside he seemed to be turning over a new leaf. This preseason he played in five games, starting one, but shooting 39.1 percent. White handled his departure with class.
There is on the court talent there, but it is unclear if he will ever really develop it. Or get the chance to. No NBA team will pick him up now, he is on to the D-League again if he wants to play this season.
- Kendrick Perkins says you’re blowing the LeBron James/Kevin Love thing way out of proportion 7
- Mark Cuban rips officials, NBA: ‘It’s criminal’ how Monta Ellis doesn’t get calls 21
- Shaquille O’Neal says he regrets leaving Magic for Lakers 41
- Cavaliers coach David Blatt: ‘LeBron James is our MVP’ 22
- No Durant, what does that mean for Thunder in these playoffs? Trouble. 15
- Kevin Durant to have third foot surgery; is done for season, playoffs 39
- Goran Dragic leading feisty Heat’s playoff push 29
- NBA Draft prospect matchups to watch in NCAA Tourament this weekend 2