Oct 24, 2013, 8:47 PM EDT
When the Sixers traded for Royce White back in July — surrendering the draft rights to international prospect Furkan Aldemir, future considerations and cash — there was some buzz around the league the Sixers were more interested in Aldemir than White, who was just a salary.
That appears to be the case.
White was one of four players waived by Philadelphia on Thursday, reports CSNPhilly.com.
A league source confirmed to CSNPhilly.com’s Dei Lynam that Khalif Wyatt, Royce White, Vander Blue and Mac Koshwal have all been released. The news was first reported by the Bucks County Courier Times’ Tom Moore, citing Sixers president/general manager Sam Hinkie. The Sixers have yet to make an official announcement.
White was the No. 22 pick of the Houston Rockets in 2012, but he never played for them. He battles a generalized anxiety disorder that includes a fear of flying, although he did make a trip with the Sixers this preseason. But more than that, there are reports that the Sixers (like the Rockets) were frustrated his attitude, feeling he was claiming to want help and to work with a team but at every point tearing apart those efforts.
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $15,000 Fantasy Basketball league on October, 30th. It’s $10 to join and first prize is $2,000. Starts October 30th at 7pm ET. Here’s the link.
Houston traded him to Philadelphia this summer and from the outside he seemed to be turning over a new leaf. This preseason he played in five games, starting one, but shooting 39.1 percent. White handled his departure with class.
There is on the court talent there, but it is unclear if he will ever really develop it. Or get the chance to. No NBA team will pick him up now, he is on to the D-League again if he wants to play this season.
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 1
- Report: Sixers fighting against immediate changes to NBA Draft Lottery system 5
- Team USA going small ball, but how many bigs do they keep on the bench? 4
- Report: LeBron James more popular than he ever was with the Heat 12
- Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold 6
- Kevin Durant knows you’re talking about his free agency but isn’t giving many clues. He liked what LeBron did. 16
- Byron Scott makes ridiculous optimism sound reasonable 40
- Derrick Rose told Carmelo Anthony that if he came to Chicago “the game would be easy” 42