PBT Roundtable: Who is your League Pass team this season?

Oct 24, 2013, 8:00 AM EDT

JaVale McGee AP

Each week the PBT writers sit at a virtual roundtable, just like the knights of King Arthur, drink mead and discuss the NBA topic of the day. This week’s question:

Who is going to be your League Pass team this season (the team outside the brightest spotlights that you keep finding yourself drawn to when there are other games on)?

Kurt Helin: I tend to be drawn to the teams that have a little flair, that entertain me (Golden State last season, Minnesota the one before
that), which is why this season it’s going to be the New Orleans Pelicans for me (just edging out the Detroit Pistons). Eric Gordon is back and he looked good attacking the rim in his preseason debut (that may just set him up as trade bait, but still). Anthony Davis is a physical freak poised for a breakout season and he has started attacking off the dribble as well as showing the ability to finish on the roll. Tyreke Evans will make plays, they have Jrue Holiday setting the table, plus Ryan Anderson spacing the floor. This is young team with the potential to find its groove and be in the playoff hunt, or to just self destruct. Either way it’s must watch. (Also, they have the solid Joel Meyers on play-by-play — your League Pass team has to have an announcer you don’t hate and want to tune out.)

Dan Feldman: Denver Nuggets. Two words: JaVale McGee. McGee, for better or worse, is one of the most entertaining players in the league, as long as he’s not on your favorite team. If I were a Denver fan, he’d drive me nuts. But I’m not, so I can just enjoy the antics. Plus, Ty Lawson is a blur, and Kenneth Faried is the closest thing we have to Dennis Rodman. This team has personality, and that’s what I want to watch.

D.J. Foster: The Atlanta Hawks! I’ll be issuing plenty of Teague Pass Alerts this season, because I want to see how the Tony Parker clone plays in a similar offense. Even if Jeff Teague isn’t your bag, though, there’s something here for everyone. Al Horford is one of the smartest bigs in basketball, Paul Millsap has that awkward effectiveness that keeps you guessing, Kyle Korver‘s jumper is perfection and Dennis Schroeder is an exciting young ball-hawk (okay, no more bad puns). Watching all the pieces mesh should be a blast.

Brett Pollakoff: I can’t watch Nuggets games just hoping for McGee to do something stupid with so many other teams in play, and if Lucas Nogueira was with the Hawks this season instead of playing overseas, I’d be fully on board with Teague Pass Alerts. Instead, give me the Timberwolves. They were on my list last year even with the constant injuries (sue me, I enjoy Alexey Shved), and with Ricky Rubio and Kevin Love both healthy and doing what they do best, to me they’re guys who are must-watch on a nightly basis.

1. saint1997 - Oct 24, 2013 at 8:23 AM

Yeah NOP and SAC are certainly up there with some pretty nice developments but the no polish Nuggets? No flair Hawks? No African American Timberwolves? It’s just got to be the GSW surely; with a pretty crazy blend of athleticism and shooting, of chaotic offence and strong defence.

• lblock07 - Oct 24, 2013 at 10:27 AM

These types of comments about the Wolves are just ignorant. Let that meme just die, please. I live in Minnesota, am Black, and have never be offended by the racial make up of the team because I’ve actually followed all moves the team tried to make last year. They ended up with more White players than most. So what? Anyway, at least 8 of players on the team this year will be Black just so you know.

2. ProBasketballPundit - Oct 24, 2013 at 9:06 AM

Warriors! Their playoff run was the most exciting part of last season and now they’ve ditched the ballhog Jarret Jack and replaced him with team chemistry gold Iguodala. Last couple years the Clippers have been my late night League Pass team but the Doc Rivers/Danny Ainge stuff has ruined the Clips for me. And in the east I’m forced to pull for the Bobcats but mostly I’ll watch the Heat & Bulls.

3. mat9844 - Oct 24, 2013 at 10:24 AM

I try to never miss a game of my fav team L.A. Clippers –especially now with the addition of Doc Rivers, J.J. Reddick & Jared Dudley. It’s gonna be a great year for them! Aside from that, I’m happy to see D. Rose back with Chicago. He looks better than ever and I’ll be watching for the Bulls games to catch the action.

4. bikingscr016 - Oct 24, 2013 at 1:41 PM

Simmons did this already

5. johngalt1783 - Oct 24, 2013 at 1:42 PM

I upgraded to NBA League Pass TV two seasons ago. You get all the teams except for your local team/s and the reception is a lot better on TV than on a computer. In addition you get League Pass Broadband for no extra charge.

6. MJB1229 - Oct 24, 2013 at 6:14 PM

T-Wolves, they are fun to watch when healthy, they really seem to like to play together.

On a side note, I don’t know if it’s the training staff, cold weather, or just bad luck, but Minny just has way too many injuries every year to not be concerned.

Why can't Lakers have a player-coach?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches