Oct 24, 2013, 10:41 AM EDT
With Trey Burke out for a while the Utah Jazz have been looking around for a veteran guard they can keep around until their (hopefully) star rookie returns.
Looks like they may go a comfortable route for them — Jamaal Tinsley. Look for an announcement from the Jazz that they have signed him in the next 24 hours, Marc Stein of ESPN says the deal is almost done (another report said it’s done, no confirmation of that yet but it will be soon).
Tinsley, 35, played in 66 games and started 32 for the Jazz last season. I wouldn’t exactly call it productive time 3.5 points and 4.4 assists per game. He has always had a fantastic court vision and passing skill (nearly 3-1 assists to turnover ratio) but he over dribbles at times, plus he shot 36.8 percent overall and 30.7 percent from three.
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $15,000 Fantasy Basketball league on October, 30th. It’s $10 to join and first prize is $2,000. Starts October 30th at 7pm ET. Here’s the link.
If a team brought in Tinsley as a third, veteran PG off the bench you could see that pickup (maybe) but the fact the Jazz are going to end up giving him big minutes speaks to how much that team is going to struggle this season.
- Why I am going to miss Steve Nash 26
- Victor Oladipo out indefinitely after taking elbow in practice, suffering facial fracture 13
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New Orleans Pelicans 10
- Five teams poised to make a big leap forward this season 5
- Steve Nash to miss entire 2014-15 season with ongoing back injuries 70
- Jeanie Buss: ‘Any free agent that would be afraid to play with Kobe Bryant is probably a loser’ 71
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Memphis Grizzlies 8
- Five top candidates for NBA Rookie of the Year 30