Oct 24, 2013, 6:06 PM EDT
Patience is not one of Kobe Bryant’s strong suits.
His normal way of dealing with injuries — or pretty much any obstacle put in his path — is to do his rehab and play through the pain. He’s just going to work harder than everyone, work harder than the injury. However a torn Achilles doesn’t work that way — it requires patience to let heal, let other muscles strengthen around it, and if you rush it you can have a setback.
Which has forced Kobe to slow the process down, he admitted Thursday. Here are the tweets from Mark Medina of the Daily News, who was there when Kobe spoke.
There is no timetable for Kobe to return to action. Kobe was never likely for opening night, in spite of his effort and will. Like a fine vino, some things cannot be rushed and Achilles is one of those things.
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $15,000 Fantasy Basketball league on October, 30th. It’s $10 to join and first prize is $2,000. Starts October 30th at 7pm ET. Here’s the link.
Health — between Kobe, Steve Nash and Pau Gasol in particular — is certainly one of the big issues for the Lakers this season. I’d put defense on the same level, but they have no chance of playing good defense without health.
- Kevin Durant has grown close with Karl Malone 13
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Philadelphia 76ers 3
- Steve Kerr said Danny Ferry made mistake but is a “man of high character” 23
- LeBron James on Kyrie Irving: “I believe Kyrie can be the best point guard in the league.” 20
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Boston Celtics 4
- Dwight Howard’s driver’s license in Florida suspended, he racked up 10 red light violations in Orlando 17
- Tim Duncan to appear in “The Punisher” comic book 6
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New York Knicks 13