Oct 24, 2013, 6:06 PM EDT
Patience is not one of Kobe Bryant’s strong suits.
His normal way of dealing with injuries — or pretty much any obstacle put in his path — is to do his rehab and play through the pain. He’s just going to work harder than everyone, work harder than the injury. However a torn Achilles doesn’t work that way — it requires patience to let heal, let other muscles strengthen around it, and if you rush it you can have a setback.
Which has forced Kobe to slow the process down, he admitted Thursday. Here are the tweets from Mark Medina of the Daily News, who was there when Kobe spoke.
There is no timetable for Kobe to return to action. Kobe was never likely for opening night, in spite of his effort and will. Like a fine vino, some things cannot be rushed and Achilles is one of those things.
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $15,000 Fantasy Basketball league on October, 30th. It’s $10 to join and first prize is $2,000. Starts October 30th at 7pm ET. Here’s the link.
Health — between Kobe, Steve Nash and Pau Gasol in particular — is certainly one of the big issues for the Lakers this season. I’d put defense on the same level, but they have no chance of playing good defense without health.
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 3
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 0
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 8
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 47
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 14
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 48