Health of Steve Nash beginning to be a real concern for Lakers

Oct 24, 2013, 11:04 PM EST

Sacramento Kings v Los Angeles Lakers Getty Images

You can say whatever you want about last season’s ill-fated version of the star-studded Lakers, but the reality is that injuries completely decimated an otherwise talented team that would have, at the very least, contended to make a run deep into the postseason.

This year’s squad has a much slimmer margin for error, given the uncertain status of Kobe Bryant to start the season and the lower level of overall talent present on the roster.

The hope was that Steve Nash would enter the season at 100 percent, and would give the Lakers a much stronger glimpse of the two-time MVP than he was able to a season ago while dealing with various injuries. But that hasn’t been the case just yet, and Nash’s status as the regular season approaches is still significantly far from encouraging.

From Dave McMenamin of ESPN Los Angeles:

With the regular season set to tip off in less than a week, some of Nash’s teammates are starting to wonder when, or even if, they’ll have the full services of the surefire Hall of Famer in their lineup this season.

“Steve hasn’t been able to complete a practice yet, so that’s the bigger issue,” Gasol said of Nash, who is averaging just 3.5 points and 3.5 assists in 16.7 minutes per game in the preseason, sitting out one of the exhibition games altogether. “I’m a little bit concerned because I want him to be healthy, I want him to play. I want him to play and I want him to do well. I want him to help us. I hope that he can.” …

“It’s a different stage in my career,” Nash said. “I used to be able to get out, run up and down and feel like a world-beater every day, and now I have to try and get myself into some sort of form to try and execute for my team. It’s a different frame of mind. It’s a different challenge, but like I said, I’m up for it. I’m positive about it, I feel optimistic, I’m inspired by my teammates and I’m going to keep pushing through.”

None of those comments scream positivity for Nash and his ability to contribute in the early part of the season.

No one is questioning Nash’s work ethic or desire to get back on the court in a full capacity at age 39, but the fact that it’s a constant struggle while we’re still in the preseason doesn’t bode well for his 82-game campaign that’s set to begin next week.

Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $15,000 Fantasy Basketball league on October, 30th. It’s $10 to join and first prize is $2,000. Starts October 30th at 7pm ET. Here’s the link.

Once again, it appears the Lakers season will come down to health more than anything else. If Kobe Bryant, Pau Gasol, and Nash were all at 100 percent for the bulk of the season, you’d have to like their chances of securing one of the final two playoff spots in the West. But with Bryant’s return date and ability being such an unknown, along with Nash’s seemingly constant issues, it’s easy to understand why the oddsmakers have L.A. finishing as no better than a lottery team this season.

Latest Posts
  1. Brandon Jennings leaves game in wheelchair, may have torn Achilles

Jan 25, 2015, 1:01 AM EST

Brandon Jennings Brandon Jennings

Can we just get through the rest of this season without any more major NBA injuries, please?

2. Report: Celtics may keep Tayshaun Prince if he’s not traded by the deadline

Jan 24, 2015, 11:00 PM EST

Boston Celtics v Portland Trail Blazers Getty Images

Brad Stevens reportedly likes Prince, so a buyout may not be in the cards.

3. Derek Fisher didn’t realize motivating his players would be such a big part of being an NBA head coach

Jan 24, 2015, 9:30 PM EST

Derek Fisher AP

Fisher played 18 years, and claims that his motivation always came from within.

4. After being fined for obscene gesture, Dwyane Wade asks NBA to improve on ways it protects players from fans

Jan 24, 2015, 8:00 PM EST

Dwyane Wade AP

Wade was fined for flipping off some fans who he believed crossed the line.

5. Dwight Howard leaves arena in walking boot after suffering ankle injury against Suns

Jan 24, 2015, 5:00 PM EST

Dwight Howard AP

Howard left the game after just eight minutes and did not return.

6. LaMarcus Aldridge decides to delay surgery, will return for Blazers Saturday vs. Wizards

Jan 24, 2015, 3:17 PM EST

Sacramento Kings v Portland Trail Blazers Getty Images

Aldridge has a tear in his left thumb, and was originally set to be sidelined 6-8 weeks.

7. Report: Cavaliers players say they ‘had lost faith’ due to lack of depth and roster construction

Jan 24, 2015, 11:00 AM EST

Cleveland Cavaliers v Golden State Warriors Getty Images

Before recent trades, players believed the team would go no further than the second round of the playoffs.

8. James Harden hits step-back game winner to beat Suns (VIDEO)

Jan 24, 2015, 8:00 AM EST

James Harden, Isaiah Thomas AP

That is as good a step-back jumper as you will see.

9. Kobe Bryant will be back next season, he can’t resist the challenge

Jan 24, 2015, 2:00 AM EST

Los Angeles Lakers v Denver Nuggets Getty Images

There are $25 million Kobe will be back next season.

10. If injury is serious, it would go against history for Kobe to be productive again

Jan 24, 2015, 12:16 AM EST

Los Angeles Lakers v New Orleans Pelicans Getty Images

Lakers star could also above and beyond and chase Michael Jordan’s comeback

11. Kevin Durant: ‘I don’t need the All-Star vote to validate me as a player’

Jan 23, 2015, 10:15 PM EST

Kevin Durant AP

It’s a good thing, because he received fewer votes than Marcin Gortat.

12. Mavericks coach Rick Carlisle: ‘Monta Ellis deserves to be an All-Star’

Jan 23, 2015, 9:15 PM EST

Brooklyn Nets v Dallas Mavericks Getty Images

Maybe, but the field is simply too crowded in the West for Ellis to have a reasonable shot.

13. Photographer sues Nike over use of iconic Michael Jordan dunk image

Jan 23, 2015, 8:15 PM EST

Michael Jordan dunk Getty Images

I’m no expert in copyright law, but this strikes me as the kind of lawsuit that gets settled out of court.

14. Rumor: Tobias Harris “wants to win a championship with the Knicks’’

Jan 23, 2015, 7:15 PM EST

Tobias Harris AP

So he plans to play for the Knicks until 2050?

Stephen Curry leads NBA MVP race mid-season