Health of Steve Nash beginning to be a real concern for Lakers

Oct 24, 2013, 11:04 PM EDT

Sacramento Kings v Los Angeles Lakers Getty Images

You can say whatever you want about last season’s ill-fated version of the star-studded Lakers, but the reality is that injuries completely decimated an otherwise talented team that would have, at the very least, contended to make a run deep into the postseason.

This year’s squad has a much slimmer margin for error, given the uncertain status of Kobe Bryant to start the season and the lower level of overall talent present on the roster.

The hope was that Steve Nash would enter the season at 100 percent, and would give the Lakers a much stronger glimpse of the two-time MVP than he was able to a season ago while dealing with various injuries. But that hasn’t been the case just yet, and Nash’s status as the regular season approaches is still significantly far from encouraging.

From Dave McMenamin of ESPN Los Angeles:

With the regular season set to tip off in less than a week, some of Nash’s teammates are starting to wonder when, or even if, they’ll have the full services of the surefire Hall of Famer in their lineup this season.

“Steve hasn’t been able to complete a practice yet, so that’s the bigger issue,” Gasol said of Nash, who is averaging just 3.5 points and 3.5 assists in 16.7 minutes per game in the preseason, sitting out one of the exhibition games altogether. “I’m a little bit concerned because I want him to be healthy, I want him to play. I want him to play and I want him to do well. I want him to help us. I hope that he can.” …

“It’s a different stage in my career,” Nash said. “I used to be able to get out, run up and down and feel like a world-beater every day, and now I have to try and get myself into some sort of form to try and execute for my team. It’s a different frame of mind. It’s a different challenge, but like I said, I’m up for it. I’m positive about it, I feel optimistic, I’m inspired by my teammates and I’m going to keep pushing through.”

None of those comments scream positivity for Nash and his ability to contribute in the early part of the season.

No one is questioning Nash’s work ethic or desire to get back on the court in a full capacity at age 39, but the fact that it’s a constant struggle while we’re still in the preseason doesn’t bode well for his 82-game campaign that’s set to begin next week.

Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $15,000 Fantasy Basketball league on October, 30th. It’s $10 to join and first prize is $2,000. Starts October 30th at 7pm ET. Here’s the link.

Once again, it appears the Lakers season will come down to health more than anything else. If Kobe Bryant, Pau Gasol, and Nash were all at 100 percent for the bulk of the season, you’d have to like their chances of securing one of the final two playoff spots in the West. But with Bryant’s return date and ability being such an unknown, along with Nash’s seemingly constant issues, it’s easy to understand why the oddsmakers have L.A. finishing as no better than a lottery team this season.

Latest Posts
  1. Tim Hardaway Jr. focuses on defensive improvement for Knicks

Sep 17, 2014, 11:44 AM EDT

Tim Hardaway Jr AP

There’s a lot of room for improvement, let’s just say.

2. LeBron James on Kyrie Irving: “I believe Kyrie can be the best point guard in the league.”

Sep 17, 2014, 11:05 AM EDT

2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup - Day Fourteen Getty Images

Kyrie is going to have to adjust to a different role on the Cavs, but if he does watch out.

3. ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Boston Celtics

Sep 17, 2014, 10:00 AM EDT

Rajon Rondo Rajon Rondo

Rajon Rondo looms over everything – on and off the court

4. Tyler Zeller looking to jumpstart career, start in Boston this season

Sep 17, 2014, 9:01 AM EDT

Tyler Zeller Cavaliers AP

He may not start but he will get plenty of run this season.

5. Atlanta mayor says he has spoken to six potential buyers of Hawks

Sep 17, 2014, 8:30 AM EDT

Image (1) hawks_logo-thumb-250x134-11979-thumb-250x134-11981.gif for post 4050

Dominique Wilkins is one, but you know the hedge fund guys are in, too.

6. Dwight Howard’s drivers’ license in Florida suspended, he racked up 10 red light violations in Orlando

Sep 17, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT

Detroit Pistons v Houston Rockets Getty Images

He has 10 citations for running red lights. Impressive, I don’t care how many sports cars you own.

7. And-1 Links: League Pass alert — Ben McLemore is the new Pizza Guy

Sep 16, 2014, 9:34 PM EDT

Isaiah Thomas pizza guy

Nick Young’s girlfriend Iggy Azalea is better at trick shots than you.

8. Report: Dirk Nowitzki to play in EuroBasket 2015, which is 2016 Olympics qualifier

Sep 16, 2014, 8:33 PM EDT

Mark Cuban, Dirk Nowitzki Getty Images

Germany qualifying for the Olympics, even with Nowitzki, is an uphill battle.

9. Tim Duncan to appear in “The Punisher” comic book

Sep 16, 2014, 5:59 PM EDT

Tim Duncan Punisher

Guaranteed Duncan likes this better than another trip to the All-Star Game.

10. Bulls officially sign E’Twaun Moore, he’s likely to stick with team

Sep 16, 2014, 5:20 PM EDT

Mason Plumlee, E'Twaun Moore Mason Plumlee, E'Twaun Moore

Half his salary the first year is guaranteed, a sign he is expected to make the final roster.

11. Report: Glenn Robinson III signs guaranteed deal with Timberwolves

Sep 16, 2014, 4:19 PM EDT

Zach LaVine and Glen Robinson III of the Minnesota Timberwolves Portraits

The guaranteed deal is huge but the Wolves are deep at the three. He’ll struggle to get minutes.

12. Kings retiring Peja Stojakovic’s number

Sep 16, 2014, 2:33 PM EDT

Peja Stojakovic Peja Stojakovic

Stojakovic’s 3-point bombing made Sacramento better for quite some time

13. Andrei Kirilenko wants Lionel Hollins to play him more than Jason Kidd did

Sep 16, 2014, 1:50 PM EDT

Andrei Kirilenko Andrei Kirilenko

Kirilenko played by far career-low 19 minutes per game last season

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches