Health of Steve Nash beginning to be a real concern for Lakers

Oct 24, 2013, 11:04 PM EDT

Sacramento Kings v Los Angeles Lakers Getty Images

You can say whatever you want about last season’s ill-fated version of the star-studded Lakers, but the reality is that injuries completely decimated an otherwise talented team that would have, at the very least, contended to make a run deep into the postseason.

This year’s squad has a much slimmer margin for error, given the uncertain status of Kobe Bryant to start the season and the lower level of overall talent present on the roster.

The hope was that Steve Nash would enter the season at 100 percent, and would give the Lakers a much stronger glimpse of the two-time MVP than he was able to a season ago while dealing with various injuries. But that hasn’t been the case just yet, and Nash’s status as the regular season approaches is still significantly far from encouraging.

From Dave McMenamin of ESPN Los Angeles:

With the regular season set to tip off in less than a week, some of Nash’s teammates are starting to wonder when, or even if, they’ll have the full services of the surefire Hall of Famer in their lineup this season.

“Steve hasn’t been able to complete a practice yet, so that’s the bigger issue,” Gasol said of Nash, who is averaging just 3.5 points and 3.5 assists in 16.7 minutes per game in the preseason, sitting out one of the exhibition games altogether. “I’m a little bit concerned because I want him to be healthy, I want him to play. I want him to play and I want him to do well. I want him to help us. I hope that he can.” …

“It’s a different stage in my career,” Nash said. “I used to be able to get out, run up and down and feel like a world-beater every day, and now I have to try and get myself into some sort of form to try and execute for my team. It’s a different frame of mind. It’s a different challenge, but like I said, I’m up for it. I’m positive about it, I feel optimistic, I’m inspired by my teammates and I’m going to keep pushing through.”

None of those comments scream positivity for Nash and his ability to contribute in the early part of the season.

No one is questioning Nash’s work ethic or desire to get back on the court in a full capacity at age 39, but the fact that it’s a constant struggle while we’re still in the preseason doesn’t bode well for his 82-game campaign that’s set to begin next week.

Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $15,000 Fantasy Basketball league on October, 30th. It’s $10 to join and first prize is $2,000. Starts October 30th at 7pm ET. Here’s the link.

Once again, it appears the Lakers season will come down to health more than anything else. If Kobe Bryant, Pau Gasol, and Nash were all at 100 percent for the bulk of the season, you’d have to like their chances of securing one of the final two playoff spots in the West. But with Bryant’s return date and ability being such an unknown, along with Nash’s seemingly constant issues, it’s easy to understand why the oddsmakers have L.A. finishing as no better than a lottery team this season.

Latest Posts
  1. Report: Cavaliers, Tristan Thompson near five-year, $80 million contract

Jul 1, 2015, 3:09 PM EDT

2015 NBA Finals - Game Six Getty Images

The road to the NBA Finals out of the East — and maybe to the Larry O’Brien trophy itself — goes through Cleveland.

2. Alex Ajinca re-signs with Pelicans for four years, reported $20.5 million

Jul 1, 2015, 2:28 PM EDT

New Orleans Pelicans v Minnesota Timberwolves Getty Images

The Pelicans were +10 per 48 minutes with an offensive rating of 111.9 (points per 100 possessions) when Anthony Davis and Ajinca were paired last season.

3. Report: Raptors, DeMarre Carroll agree to four-year deal worth $60 million

Jul 1, 2015, 12:29 PM EDT

Nice get for Toronto, and a Hawks team that won 60 games is going to look very different next season.

4. Report: Spurs reach deal to trade Tiago Splitter to Hawks, create cap space for LaMarcus Aldridge offer

Jul 1, 2015, 12:03 PM EDT

Tiago Splitter, LaMarcus Aldridge AP

The Spurs can now offer Aldridge the chance to return to his native Texas and walk right onto a serious title contender.

5. Report: Kobe Bryant was ‘very good’ in Lakers meeting with LaMarcus Aldridge, which went ‘really well’

Jul 1, 2015, 11:26 AM EDT

2015 BET Experience - Genius Talks Presented By AT&T Getty Images

Lakers feel better about this one than previous meetings with Carmelo Anthony and Dwight Howard.

6. Report: Heat, Goran Dragic agree to five-year deal worth $90 million

Jul 1, 2015, 10:38 AM EDT

Orlando Magic v Miami Heat Getty Images

This was expected. But what happens with Dwyane Wade?

7. Report: Bulls bringing back Mike Dunleavy on three-year deal worth $15 million

Jul 1, 2015, 9:54 AM EDT

Mike Dunleavy, James Harden AP

Solid move by Chicago at an extremely reasonable price.

8. Report: Cleveland Cavaliers reach out to veteran Tayshaun Prince

Jul 1, 2015, 8:30 AM EDT

Indiana Pacers v Detroit Pistons Getty Images

Prince played better than you’d think last season, but he will turn 36 this coming year.

9. Report: Kings aggressively pursuing Rajon Rondo

Jul 1, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT

Dallas Mavericks v New Orleans Pelicans Dallas Mavericks v New Orleans Pelicans

Does putting Rajon Rondo, DeMarcus Cousins and George Karl in close proximity to each other for an entire NBA season seem like a good idea?

10. Report: Nets reach deals to re-sign Brook Lopez and Thaddeus Young

Jul 1, 2015, 2:12 AM EDT

Atlanta Hawks v Brooklyn Nets- Game Four Atlanta Hawks v Brooklyn Nets- Game Four

Lopez gets three years, $60 million; Young gets four years, $50 million.

11. Report: Pacers pushing hard to sign Monta Ellis

Jul 1, 2015, 1:58 AM EDT

Monta Ellis Monta Ellis

The Hawks, Nuggets and Kings are also interested.

Top 10 NBA Player Searches