Health of Steve Nash beginning to be a real concern for Lakers

Oct 24, 2013, 11:04 PM EDT

Sacramento Kings v Los Angeles Lakers Getty Images

You can say whatever you want about last season’s ill-fated version of the star-studded Lakers, but the reality is that injuries completely decimated an otherwise talented team that would have, at the very least, contended to make a run deep into the postseason.

This year’s squad has a much slimmer margin for error, given the uncertain status of Kobe Bryant to start the season and the lower level of overall talent present on the roster.

The hope was that Steve Nash would enter the season at 100 percent, and would give the Lakers a much stronger glimpse of the two-time MVP than he was able to a season ago while dealing with various injuries. But that hasn’t been the case just yet, and Nash’s status as the regular season approaches is still significantly far from encouraging.

From Dave McMenamin of ESPN Los Angeles:

With the regular season set to tip off in less than a week, some of Nash’s teammates are starting to wonder when, or even if, they’ll have the full services of the surefire Hall of Famer in their lineup this season.

“Steve hasn’t been able to complete a practice yet, so that’s the bigger issue,” Gasol said of Nash, who is averaging just 3.5 points and 3.5 assists in 16.7 minutes per game in the preseason, sitting out one of the exhibition games altogether. “I’m a little bit concerned because I want him to be healthy, I want him to play. I want him to play and I want him to do well. I want him to help us. I hope that he can.” …

“It’s a different stage in my career,” Nash said. “I used to be able to get out, run up and down and feel like a world-beater every day, and now I have to try and get myself into some sort of form to try and execute for my team. It’s a different frame of mind. It’s a different challenge, but like I said, I’m up for it. I’m positive about it, I feel optimistic, I’m inspired by my teammates and I’m going to keep pushing through.”

None of those comments scream positivity for Nash and his ability to contribute in the early part of the season.

No one is questioning Nash’s work ethic or desire to get back on the court in a full capacity at age 39, but the fact that it’s a constant struggle while we’re still in the preseason doesn’t bode well for his 82-game campaign that’s set to begin next week.

Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $15,000 Fantasy Basketball league on October, 30th. It’s $10 to join and first prize is $2,000. Starts October 30th at 7pm ET. Here’s the link.

Once again, it appears the Lakers season will come down to health more than anything else. If Kobe Bryant, Pau Gasol, and Nash were all at 100 percent for the bulk of the season, you’d have to like their chances of securing one of the final two playoff spots in the West. But with Bryant’s return date and ability being such an unknown, along with Nash’s seemingly constant issues, it’s easy to understand why the oddsmakers have L.A. finishing as no better than a lottery team this season.

Latest Posts
  1. Klay Thompson’s brother called up to the White Sox

Aug 3, 2015, 8:16 PM EDT

Chicago White Sox v Kansas City Royals Getty Images

Trayce Thompson gives Thompson family yet another professional athlete

2. LeBron James to attend Team USA minicamp, leave early

Aug 3, 2015, 7:25 PM EDT

US forward LeBron James celebrates after Getty Images

That’ll keep him a viable candidate for 2016 Olympic roster

3. Report: Mavericks give Salah Mejri fully guaranteed salary

Aug 3, 2015, 5:36 PM EDT

BASKET-EURL-ANADOLU EFES-REAL MADRID Getty Images

Dallas loading up on players. What will roster look like in November?

4. Nancy Lieberman says DeMarcus Cousins happy Kings hired her

Aug 3, 2015, 3:58 PM EDT

Nancy Lieberman Nancy Lieberman

Will new Sacramento assistant coach improve Cousins’ relationship with George Karl?

5. Ray Allen: “I won’t officially retire”

Aug 3, 2015, 12:50 PM EDT

Ray Allen AP

“I didn’t miss it. I realized how much time I missed not being home with my kids.” —Ray Allen on last season

6. Report: Kings have no interest in Hedo Turkoglu

Aug 3, 2015, 9:55 AM EDT

Washington Wizards v Los Angeles Clippers Getty Images

The Kings were never a likely landing spot.

7. Report: 76ers to sign Jordan McRae a year after stashing him

Aug 3, 2015, 8:30 AM EDT

Philadelphia 76ers v Utah Jazz Getty Images

What will J.P. Tokoto, future Philadelphia second-rounders think of McRae’s contract?

8. Timberwolves coach Flip Sauders returns to Twitter to say he loves three pointers

Aug 3, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT

Flip Saunders AP

The Timberwolves roster doesn’t have a lot of quality three point shooters on it.

9. Magic guarantee Dewayne Dedmon’s contract

Aug 3, 2015, 12:01 AM EDT

Orlando Magic v Brooklyn Nets Getty Images

Orlando keeps backup center on minimum contract

10. With Nikola Pekovic still hurt, Flip Saunders says Karl-Anthony Towns could start. Or Gorgui Dieng.

Aug 2, 2015, 9:32 PM EDT

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznpwu3mmzjztazntu1ogzhywnkzju2otmyzgnloty5otbl1 AP

Saunders has a versatile front line, but does he have enough shooting to give them room to operate?

11. Michael Jordan (and a kid) beat Jimmy Butler in shooting contest (VIDEO)

Aug 2, 2015, 8:50 PM EDT

Jordan will gloat about this to Butler for years.

12. Mavericks officially sign Summer League standout, No. 21 pick Justin Anderson

Aug 2, 2015, 2:00 PM EDT

Dallas Mavericks v Los Angeles Lakers Getty Images

It’s a standard rookie contract for a first-round pick.

Top 10 NBA Player Searches