Health of Steve Nash beginning to be a real concern for Lakers

Oct 24, 2013, 11:04 PM EDT

Sacramento Kings v Los Angeles Lakers Getty Images

You can say whatever you want about last season’s ill-fated version of the star-studded Lakers, but the reality is that injuries completely decimated an otherwise talented team that would have, at the very least, contended to make a run deep into the postseason.

This year’s squad has a much slimmer margin for error, given the uncertain status of Kobe Bryant to start the season and the lower level of overall talent present on the roster.

The hope was that Steve Nash would enter the season at 100 percent, and would give the Lakers a much stronger glimpse of the two-time MVP than he was able to a season ago while dealing with various injuries. But that hasn’t been the case just yet, and Nash’s status as the regular season approaches is still significantly far from encouraging.

From Dave McMenamin of ESPN Los Angeles:

With the regular season set to tip off in less than a week, some of Nash’s teammates are starting to wonder when, or even if, they’ll have the full services of the surefire Hall of Famer in their lineup this season.

“Steve hasn’t been able to complete a practice yet, so that’s the bigger issue,” Gasol said of Nash, who is averaging just 3.5 points and 3.5 assists in 16.7 minutes per game in the preseason, sitting out one of the exhibition games altogether. “I’m a little bit concerned because I want him to be healthy, I want him to play. I want him to play and I want him to do well. I want him to help us. I hope that he can.” …

“It’s a different stage in my career,” Nash said. “I used to be able to get out, run up and down and feel like a world-beater every day, and now I have to try and get myself into some sort of form to try and execute for my team. It’s a different frame of mind. It’s a different challenge, but like I said, I’m up for it. I’m positive about it, I feel optimistic, I’m inspired by my teammates and I’m going to keep pushing through.”

None of those comments scream positivity for Nash and his ability to contribute in the early part of the season.

No one is questioning Nash’s work ethic or desire to get back on the court in a full capacity at age 39, but the fact that it’s a constant struggle while we’re still in the preseason doesn’t bode well for his 82-game campaign that’s set to begin next week.

Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $15,000 Fantasy Basketball league on October, 30th. It’s $10 to join and first prize is $2,000. Starts October 30th at 7pm ET. Here’s the link.

Once again, it appears the Lakers season will come down to health more than anything else. If Kobe Bryant, Pau Gasol, and Nash were all at 100 percent for the bulk of the season, you’d have to like their chances of securing one of the final two playoff spots in the West. But with Bryant’s return date and ability being such an unknown, along with Nash’s seemingly constant issues, it’s easy to understand why the oddsmakers have L.A. finishing as no better than a lottery team this season.

Latest Posts
  1. Jazz sign Dahntay Jones

Sep 22, 2014, 4:41 PM EDT

Los Angeles Lakers v Atlanta Hawks Getty Images

Jones previously played for the Grizzlies, Kings, Nuggets, Pacers, Mavericks and Hawks

2. Report: Darko Milicic leaving basketball, taking up kickboxing

Sep 22, 2014, 4:00 PM EDT

Minnesota Timberwovles 2010 NBA Europe LIve Minnesota Timberwovles 2010 NBA Europe LIve

Former Pistons No. 2 draft pick putting some distance between himself and basketball

3. Caldwell Jones dies at 64

Sep 22, 2014, 2:45 PM EDT

Portland Trailblazers vs. San Antonio Spurs Portland Trailblazers vs. San Antonio Spurs

Jones – who played for the 76ers, Rockets, Bulls (during Michael Jordan’s rookie season), Trail Blazers and Spurs – helped shape Tim Duncan’s career

4. Tyson Chandler: ‘I’m going to make’ Mavericks defend

Sep 22, 2014, 2:04 PM EDT

Tyson Chandler, Ricky Rubio Tyson Chandler, Ricky Rubio

Chandler: ‘We are going to be a great defensive team’

5. NBA to review domestic violence policies in wake of NFL’s ugliness. It shouldn’t have taken that.

Sep 22, 2014, 1:29 PM EDT

Adam Silver Adam Silver

There were multiple NBA players arrested on domestic abuse charges last year. The spotlight on those cases will be different now.

6. Nuggets sign forward Marcus Williams

Sep 22, 2014, 12:50 PM EDT

Arizona Wildcats v North Carolina Tar Heels Getty Images

This is the Marcus Williams who played at Arizona, not Connecticut

7. Cavaliers lift ban on fan who ran onto court with LeBron James shirt

Sep 22, 2014, 12:11 PM EDT

A Cleveland Cavaliers fan interrupts play during their NBA basketball game against Miami Heat in Cleveland Reuters

James Blair can watch LeBron in person in Cleveland again

8. Blake Griffin said he knew Donald Sterling was racist, wasn’t really surprised by tape

Sep 22, 2014, 11:30 AM EDT

Blake Griffin GQ

“The first thing I ever Googled about the man, the first thing that popped up was “racist.” So I was aware. I hate to say this, and it might sound ignorant, but I wasn’t surprised that all this came up.”—Blake Griffin on Donald Sterling

9. ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Chicago Bulls

Sep 22, 2014, 10:32 AM EDT

Chicago Bulls v Washington Wizards - NBA Global Games Rio 2013 Getty Images

A healthy D Rose could have the Bulls contending for a title.

10. Miami to stick with small ball, including Danny Granger getting time at the four

Sep 22, 2014, 9:31 AM EDT

Golden State Warriors v Los Angeles Clippers - Game Two Getty Images

LeBron is gone but Miami is still playing small, pressuring the ball.

11. Report: Cavaliers signing A.J. Price

Sep 22, 2014, 9:05 AM EDT

Washington Wizards v Cleveland Cavaliers Washington Wizards v Cleveland Cavaliers

Price will provide point guard depth – at least through training camp

12. Celtics GM Danny Ainge remains noncommittal on trading Rajon Rondo

Sep 22, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT

Oklahoma City Thunder v Boston Celtics Getty Images

“The truthful answer is I really don’t know.” —Danny Ainge on potentially trading Rajon Rondo

13. Bucks’ Larry Sanders to play with goggles next season

Sep 22, 2014, 12:21 AM EDT

Larry Sanders

Remember Sanders suffered a serious eye injury last season.

14. Golden State Warriors top 10 plays of 2014 season (VIDEO)

Sep 21, 2014, 11:00 PM EDT

Oklahoma City Thunder v Golden State Warriors Getty Images

Way more Andre Iguodala than you might expect.

15. Report: Celtics will complete Evan Turner signing before training camp begins

Sep 21, 2014, 9:30 PM EDT

Los Angeles Lakers v Indiana Pacers Getty Images

Turner’s stock has dropped significantly since being traded from the Sixers to the Pacers in the middle of last season.

16. NBA’s rookie transition program tries to educate, but some of the information is presented in poor taste

Sep 21, 2014, 8:00 PM EDT

You can see what they’re trying to do, but some of the things presented went a bit too far.

17. Behind the scenes look at internal media day for Charlotte Hornets (VIDEO)

Sep 21, 2014, 6:30 PM EDT

courtesy Bobcats.com

Our first real look at the new uniforms and new court design.

18. Tony Parker hits a back over-the-head halfcourt shot (VIDEO)

Sep 21, 2014, 5:00 PM EDT

Tony Parker Tony Parker

I’m pretty sure Popovich doesn’t want him taking one of these in a game.

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches