Health of Steve Nash beginning to be a real concern for Lakers

Oct 24, 2013, 11:04 PM EDT

Sacramento Kings v Los Angeles Lakers Getty Images

You can say whatever you want about last season’s ill-fated version of the star-studded Lakers, but the reality is that injuries completely decimated an otherwise talented team that would have, at the very least, contended to make a run deep into the postseason.

This year’s squad has a much slimmer margin for error, given the uncertain status of Kobe Bryant to start the season and the lower level of overall talent present on the roster.

The hope was that Steve Nash would enter the season at 100 percent, and would give the Lakers a much stronger glimpse of the two-time MVP than he was able to a season ago while dealing with various injuries. But that hasn’t been the case just yet, and Nash’s status as the regular season approaches is still significantly far from encouraging.

From Dave McMenamin of ESPN Los Angeles:

With the regular season set to tip off in less than a week, some of Nash’s teammates are starting to wonder when, or even if, they’ll have the full services of the surefire Hall of Famer in their lineup this season.

“Steve hasn’t been able to complete a practice yet, so that’s the bigger issue,” Gasol said of Nash, who is averaging just 3.5 points and 3.5 assists in 16.7 minutes per game in the preseason, sitting out one of the exhibition games altogether. “I’m a little bit concerned because I want him to be healthy, I want him to play. I want him to play and I want him to do well. I want him to help us. I hope that he can.” …

“It’s a different stage in my career,” Nash said. “I used to be able to get out, run up and down and feel like a world-beater every day, and now I have to try and get myself into some sort of form to try and execute for my team. It’s a different frame of mind. It’s a different challenge, but like I said, I’m up for it. I’m positive about it, I feel optimistic, I’m inspired by my teammates and I’m going to keep pushing through.”

None of those comments scream positivity for Nash and his ability to contribute in the early part of the season.

No one is questioning Nash’s work ethic or desire to get back on the court in a full capacity at age 39, but the fact that it’s a constant struggle while we’re still in the preseason doesn’t bode well for his 82-game campaign that’s set to begin next week.

Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $15,000 Fantasy Basketball league on October, 30th. It’s $10 to join and first prize is $2,000. Starts October 30th at 7pm ET. Here’s the link.

Once again, it appears the Lakers season will come down to health more than anything else. If Kobe Bryant, Pau Gasol, and Nash were all at 100 percent for the bulk of the season, you’d have to like their chances of securing one of the final two playoff spots in the West. But with Bryant’s return date and ability being such an unknown, along with Nash’s seemingly constant issues, it’s easy to understand why the oddsmakers have L.A. finishing as no better than a lottery team this season.

Latest Posts
  1. Kyrie Irving, Goran Dragic threw some wicked moves at each other (VIDEO)

Aug 27, 2014, 12:25 AM EDT

Puerto Rico v United States Getty Images

The point guards made this blowout more fun to watch.

2. Bucks sign No. 31 pick Damien Inglis

Aug 26, 2014, 10:30 PM EDT

2014 NBA Rookie Photo Shoot Getty Images

Milwaukee’s trade with Clippers cleared a roster spot

3. Zydrunas Ilgauskas’ agent denies comeback attempt

Aug 26, 2014, 8:35 PM EDT

Miami Heat v Atlanta Hawks Getty Images

Former Cavaliers center, 39, has been retired three years

4. Thunder trade Hasheem Thabeet to 76ers

Aug 26, 2014, 5:23 PM EDT

Hasheem Thabeet, Maalik Wayns Hasheem Thabeet, Maalik Wayns

Oklahoma City will create trade exception, and Philadelphia will waive Thabeet

5. From late-arriving to a LeBron James favorite, Kevin Love comes full circle

Aug 26, 2014, 4:55 PM EDT

Olympics Day 16 - Basketball Olympics Day 16 - Basketball

Kevin Love: ‘My decision’ swayed by LeBron James calling just after choosing Cavaliers in free agency

6. New NBA rule clears more space on baseline

Aug 26, 2014, 4:20 PM EDT

Russell Westbrook Russell Westbrook

Number of camera positions behind baseline to be halved

7. Clippers trade Jared Dudley and first rounder to Bucks for Carlos Delfino and Miroslav Raduljica

Aug 26, 2014, 3:27 PM EDT

Jared Dudley Jared Dudley

Clippers limit their present and future, and the Bucks gain an easy asset

8. Report: Cavaliers trying to trade for Nuggets’ Timofey Mozgov

Aug 26, 2014, 2:28 PM EDT

Golden State Warriors v Denver Nuggets - Game Two Getty Images

Cleveland not offering assets as of yet, so Denver’s not biting.

9. J.R. Smith: ‘I’m on pace to be one of the best shooters the game had ever seen’

Aug 26, 2014, 1:51 PM EDT

Charlotte Bobcats v New York Knicks Getty Images

Career three-pointers made is the only category where this statement begins to make any sense.

10. Agent for Thanasis Antetokounmpo ‘amazed’ his client chose to play in D-League for $25K

Aug 26, 2014, 12:27 PM EDT

thanasis nba draft

Brother of the Bucks’ Giannis turned down a more lucrative offer to play overseas.

11. Dwyane Wade needs to get as good at free throws as soon-to-be wife (Instagram)

Aug 26, 2014, 11:45 AM EDT

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznpwm5zddmy2m4zde4mmi1ogi5mjk4odbjnzeyzgu3m2u4 AP

Well, she looks better shooting free throws than he does anyway.

12. Report: Turner Broadcasting planning layoffs in advance of rising NBA rights fees

Aug 26, 2014, 11:14 AM EDT

Oklahoma City Thunder v San Antonio Spurs - Game Five Oklahoma City Thunder v San Antonio Spurs - Game Five

Turner wants to keep its NBA rights, and with negotiations looming, the company has planned layoffs in order to have the necessary cash on hand.

13. Kevin Murphy highlights four Jazz signings

Aug 26, 2014, 10:31 AM EDT

Dallas Mavericks v Utah Jazz Dallas Mavericks v Utah Jazz

Utah also adds Dee Bost, Jack Cooley and Brock Motum

14. Minnesota, Cleveland aquariums trade Kevin Love. The octopus name.

Aug 26, 2014, 9:50 AM EDT

Kevin Love Releases Baby Octopus Getty Images

The octopus wanted to opt out of Minnesota, too, but has fewer free agent options.

Will LeBron get booed Christmas Day in Miami?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches