Health of Steve Nash beginning to be a real concern for Lakers

Oct 24, 2013, 11:04 PM EST

Sacramento Kings v Los Angeles Lakers Getty Images

You can say whatever you want about last season’s ill-fated version of the star-studded Lakers, but the reality is that injuries completely decimated an otherwise talented team that would have, at the very least, contended to make a run deep into the postseason.

This year’s squad has a much slimmer margin for error, given the uncertain status of Kobe Bryant to start the season and the lower level of overall talent present on the roster.

The hope was that Steve Nash would enter the season at 100 percent, and would give the Lakers a much stronger glimpse of the two-time MVP than he was able to a season ago while dealing with various injuries. But that hasn’t been the case just yet, and Nash’s status as the regular season approaches is still significantly far from encouraging.

From Dave McMenamin of ESPN Los Angeles:

With the regular season set to tip off in less than a week, some of Nash’s teammates are starting to wonder when, or even if, they’ll have the full services of the surefire Hall of Famer in their lineup this season.

“Steve hasn’t been able to complete a practice yet, so that’s the bigger issue,” Gasol said of Nash, who is averaging just 3.5 points and 3.5 assists in 16.7 minutes per game in the preseason, sitting out one of the exhibition games altogether. “I’m a little bit concerned because I want him to be healthy, I want him to play. I want him to play and I want him to do well. I want him to help us. I hope that he can.” …

“It’s a different stage in my career,” Nash said. “I used to be able to get out, run up and down and feel like a world-beater every day, and now I have to try and get myself into some sort of form to try and execute for my team. It’s a different frame of mind. It’s a different challenge, but like I said, I’m up for it. I’m positive about it, I feel optimistic, I’m inspired by my teammates and I’m going to keep pushing through.”

None of those comments scream positivity for Nash and his ability to contribute in the early part of the season.

No one is questioning Nash’s work ethic or desire to get back on the court in a full capacity at age 39, but the fact that it’s a constant struggle while we’re still in the preseason doesn’t bode well for his 82-game campaign that’s set to begin next week.

Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $15,000 Fantasy Basketball league on October, 30th. It’s $10 to join and first prize is $2,000. Starts October 30th at 7pm ET. Here’s the link.

Once again, it appears the Lakers season will come down to health more than anything else. If Kobe Bryant, Pau Gasol, and Nash were all at 100 percent for the bulk of the season, you’d have to like their chances of securing one of the final two playoff spots in the West. But with Bryant’s return date and ability being such an unknown, along with Nash’s seemingly constant issues, it’s easy to understand why the oddsmakers have L.A. finishing as no better than a lottery team this season.

Latest Posts
  1. Carmelo Anthony: Derrick Rose recruited me to Bulls

Nov 28, 2014, 2:10 PM EST

Derrick Rose Derrick Rose

Melo said it came down to Bulls and Knicks

2. NBA denies Kings’ protest

Nov 28, 2014, 12:39 PM EST

Ben McLemore Ben McLemore

Grizzlies’ win upheld

3. Russell Westbrook returns to court tonight for Thunder vs. Knicks

Nov 28, 2014, 12:25 PM EST

Oklahoma City Thunder v Los Angeles Clippers Getty Images

To reach the 49 wins it took to make the playoffs in the West last season, the Thunder need to go 45-21 the rest of the way.

4. Mark Cuban still taking jabs at Derek Fisher

Nov 28, 2014, 9:30 AM EST

image_thumbnail

Mavericks own bitter about how Fisher left Dallas

5. Rumor: Lance Stephenson was issue with Roy Hibbert, may be issue in Charlotte

Nov 28, 2014, 8:00 AM EST

Portland Trail Blazers v Charlotte Hornets Getty Images

I’d take this rumor with a grain or 12 of salt, but…

6. Craig Sager nearing TNT return after battle with leukemia

Nov 27, 2014, 8:00 PM EST

Nebraska v Baylor Getty Images

Sager will receive clearance to fly in January.

7. Kings coach calls DeMarcus Cousins NBA’s best big man

Nov 27, 2014, 5:00 PM EST

Michael Malone, DeMarcus Cousins Michael Malone, DeMarcus Cousins

Michael Malone increases pressure on sometimes-combustible Cousins

8. Hornets coach Steve Clifford: Lance Stephenson not a star

Nov 27, 2014, 2:00 PM EST

Clifford has benched Stephenson for consecutive fourth quarters

9. Gerald Green goes dunk-for-dunk… with himself (video)

Nov 27, 2014, 12:30 PM EST

Gerald Green, Timofey Mozgov, Alonzo Gee Gerald Green, Timofey Mozgov, Alonzo Gee

Suns guard drives for reverse slam, cuts for monstrous alley-oop

10. Report: Wizards willing to give Bradley Beal max contract extension if necessary

Nov 27, 2014, 8:00 AM EST

Cleveland Cavaliers v Washington Wizards Cleveland Cavaliers v Washington Wizards

Beal’s max extension projects to pay more than $118 million over five years

Could Sixers be worst team in NBA history?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches