Health of Steve Nash beginning to be a real concern for Lakers

Oct 24, 2013, 11:04 PM EDT

Sacramento Kings v Los Angeles Lakers Getty Images

You can say whatever you want about last season’s ill-fated version of the star-studded Lakers, but the reality is that injuries completely decimated an otherwise talented team that would have, at the very least, contended to make a run deep into the postseason.

This year’s squad has a much slimmer margin for error, given the uncertain status of Kobe Bryant to start the season and the lower level of overall talent present on the roster.

The hope was that Steve Nash would enter the season at 100 percent, and would give the Lakers a much stronger glimpse of the two-time MVP than he was able to a season ago while dealing with various injuries. But that hasn’t been the case just yet, and Nash’s status as the regular season approaches is still significantly far from encouraging.

From Dave McMenamin of ESPN Los Angeles:

With the regular season set to tip off in less than a week, some of Nash’s teammates are starting to wonder when, or even if, they’ll have the full services of the surefire Hall of Famer in their lineup this season.

“Steve hasn’t been able to complete a practice yet, so that’s the bigger issue,” Gasol said of Nash, who is averaging just 3.5 points and 3.5 assists in 16.7 minutes per game in the preseason, sitting out one of the exhibition games altogether. “I’m a little bit concerned because I want him to be healthy, I want him to play. I want him to play and I want him to do well. I want him to help us. I hope that he can.” …

“It’s a different stage in my career,” Nash said. “I used to be able to get out, run up and down and feel like a world-beater every day, and now I have to try and get myself into some sort of form to try and execute for my team. It’s a different frame of mind. It’s a different challenge, but like I said, I’m up for it. I’m positive about it, I feel optimistic, I’m inspired by my teammates and I’m going to keep pushing through.”

None of those comments scream positivity for Nash and his ability to contribute in the early part of the season.

No one is questioning Nash’s work ethic or desire to get back on the court in a full capacity at age 39, but the fact that it’s a constant struggle while we’re still in the preseason doesn’t bode well for his 82-game campaign that’s set to begin next week.

Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $15,000 Fantasy Basketball league on October, 30th. It’s $10 to join and first prize is $2,000. Starts October 30th at 7pm ET. Here’s the link.

Once again, it appears the Lakers season will come down to health more than anything else. If Kobe Bryant, Pau Gasol, and Nash were all at 100 percent for the bulk of the season, you’d have to like their chances of securing one of the final two playoff spots in the West. But with Bryant’s return date and ability being such an unknown, along with Nash’s seemingly constant issues, it’s easy to understand why the oddsmakers have L.A. finishing as no better than a lottery team this season.

Latest Posts
  1. Rumor: Kevin Love out minimum of two weeks, will likely miss most or all of series vs. Bulls

Apr 27, 2015, 2:34 AM EDT

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznpwzjymvhyzgwzgy5njixztvmzwrlzgzmymqxyza3ytg5 AP

Love being out could be an issue in the next round as the Cavs take on the Bulls.

2. Monta Ellis, J.J. Barea pairing ignites Mavericks offense, gets Dallas Game 4 win over Houston

Apr 27, 2015, 1:38 AM EDT

Monta Ellis, Trevor Ariza AP

The question is can Dallas replicate all they did right on the road?

3. Wizards blow out Raptors to complete first-round sweep

Apr 26, 2015, 9:33 PM EDT

Washington Wizards v Toronto Raptors Washington Wizards v Toronto Raptors

Another stellar performance from John Wall buries Toronto’s season.

4. Watch Chris Paul, Blake Griffin combine for big days to even Clippers with Spurs (VIDEO)

Apr 26, 2015, 9:17 PM EDT

Blake Griffin, ,Chris Paul Blake Griffin, ,Chris Paul

The Clippers needed their big stars to step up Sunday or they were going to be in a very deep hole. They got it.

5. Chris Paul scores 34 points, Clippers win Game 4 to even series with Spurs

Apr 26, 2015, 6:31 PM EDT

Tiago Splitter, Chris Paul AP

Blake Griffin grabbed 19 rebounds, and Austin Rivers (!) chipped in 16 points in 17 minutes off the bench.

6. Report: Sixers to select D’Angelo Russell in 2015 NBA Draft

Apr 26, 2015, 11:00 AM EDT

Ohio State v Indiana AP

“He’s the guy they want,” the report says.

7. LaMarcus Aldridge flew back to Portland after Game 2 loss while rest of Blazers stayed in Memphis

Apr 26, 2015, 9:30 AM EDT

Memphis Grizzlies v Portland Trail Blazers - Game Three Memphis Grizzlies v Portland Trail Blazers - Game Three

Players were given the option by the team’s GM, but Aldridge — who will be an unrestricted free agent this summer — was the only one who chose to leave.

8. Grizzlies start fast, hang on to beat Portland, take 3-0 series lead

Apr 26, 2015, 2:37 AM EDT

Memphis Grizzlies v Portland Trail Blazers - Game Three Getty Images

Memphis’ offense was the best it has looked this series.

Stephen Curry starting to define playoff legacy
Top 10 NBA Player Searches