Health of Steve Nash beginning to be a real concern for Lakers

Oct 24, 2013, 11:04 PM EDT

Sacramento Kings v Los Angeles Lakers Getty Images

You can say whatever you want about last season’s ill-fated version of the star-studded Lakers, but the reality is that injuries completely decimated an otherwise talented team that would have, at the very least, contended to make a run deep into the postseason.

This year’s squad has a much slimmer margin for error, given the uncertain status of Kobe Bryant to start the season and the lower level of overall talent present on the roster.

The hope was that Steve Nash would enter the season at 100 percent, and would give the Lakers a much stronger glimpse of the two-time MVP than he was able to a season ago while dealing with various injuries. But that hasn’t been the case just yet, and Nash’s status as the regular season approaches is still significantly far from encouraging.

From Dave McMenamin of ESPN Los Angeles:

With the regular season set to tip off in less than a week, some of Nash’s teammates are starting to wonder when, or even if, they’ll have the full services of the surefire Hall of Famer in their lineup this season.

“Steve hasn’t been able to complete a practice yet, so that’s the bigger issue,” Gasol said of Nash, who is averaging just 3.5 points and 3.5 assists in 16.7 minutes per game in the preseason, sitting out one of the exhibition games altogether. “I’m a little bit concerned because I want him to be healthy, I want him to play. I want him to play and I want him to do well. I want him to help us. I hope that he can.” …

“It’s a different stage in my career,” Nash said. “I used to be able to get out, run up and down and feel like a world-beater every day, and now I have to try and get myself into some sort of form to try and execute for my team. It’s a different frame of mind. It’s a different challenge, but like I said, I’m up for it. I’m positive about it, I feel optimistic, I’m inspired by my teammates and I’m going to keep pushing through.”

None of those comments scream positivity for Nash and his ability to contribute in the early part of the season.

No one is questioning Nash’s work ethic or desire to get back on the court in a full capacity at age 39, but the fact that it’s a constant struggle while we’re still in the preseason doesn’t bode well for his 82-game campaign that’s set to begin next week.

Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $15,000 Fantasy Basketball league on October, 30th. It’s $10 to join and first prize is $2,000. Starts October 30th at 7pm ET. Here’s the link.

Once again, it appears the Lakers season will come down to health more than anything else. If Kobe Bryant, Pau Gasol, and Nash were all at 100 percent for the bulk of the season, you’d have to like their chances of securing one of the final two playoff spots in the West. But with Bryant’s return date and ability being such an unknown, along with Nash’s seemingly constant issues, it’s easy to understand why the oddsmakers have L.A. finishing as no better than a lottery team this season.

Latest Posts
  1. Report: Former NBA player Rex Chapman arrested for stealing product from Apple store

Sep 19, 2014, 9:45 PM EDT

Rex Chapman, Ashley Judd Rex Chapman, Ashley Judd

Chapman played four years for the Suns, and is facing charges in Scottsdale, AZ.

2. Andrew Bogut is feeling healthy, takes charges on D at Warriors scrimmage

Sep 19, 2014, 8:15 PM EDT

Andrew Bogut AP

Must-read quote from Bogut on how he does NOT want to be perceived.

3. All PBT’s NBA team previews in one convenient spot

Sep 19, 2014, 5:59 PM EDT

San Antonio Spurs v Miami Heat - Game 7 Getty Images

This post is here to make life easier for you when you want to find these at the end of the season and point out how wrong we were.

4. UPDATED Report: Timberwolves make push for Eric Bledsoe, Suns not interested in sign-and-trade talks

Sep 19, 2014, 5:11 PM EDT

New York Knicks v Phoenix Suns Getty Images

It has to be a sign and trade and Minnesota doesn’t have a lot of leverage here.

5. Jeff Green says he wants to be leader on Celtics this season

Sep 19, 2014, 4:00 PM EDT

Jeff Green AP

“It was more just becoming a better all-around player, trying to take the next step and become a leader on this team and will my team to win.” —Jeff Green

6. James Dolan enlists Carmelo Anthony, Amare Stoudemire to break world kazoo record

Sep 19, 2014, 3:28 PM EDT

dolan stoudemire anthony kazoo

And you wonder why Phil Jackson is worth $12 million a year to the Knicks organization.

7. Hawks’ Budenholzer adjusting to coach/GM role, had mentor for many years in Popovich

Sep 19, 2014, 2:50 PM EDT

Mike Budenholzer

Budenholzer got thrust into a position with the power a lot of coaches covet.

8. Cavaliers sign Lou Amundson

Sep 19, 2014, 12:44 PM EDT

Serge Ibaka, Lou Amundson Serge Ibaka, Lou Amundson

Will he make Cleveland’s regular-season roster?

9. LeBron James unveils latest signature shoe from Nike: The LEBRON 12

Sep 19, 2014, 12:05 PM EDT

9.15.14 Nike LeBron 12 Launch

Full recap from the launch event at Nike World Headquarters in Portland, Oregon, including technical information, details on colorways, and confirmed release dates.

10. ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Toronto Raptors

Sep 19, 2014, 10:30 AM EDT

Brooklyn Nets v Toronto Raptors - Game Seven Getty Images

Kyle Lowry and Co. return for another run

11. Grizzlies sign Hassan Whiteside

Sep 19, 2014, 9:30 AM EDT

Rio Grande Valley Vipers vs. Fort Wayne Mad Ants Rio Grande Valley Vipers vs. Fort Wayne Mad Ants

Former Kings draft pick joins three other players competing to make Memphis’ roster

12. Miroslav Raduljica signs in China

Sep 19, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT

Miroslav Raduljica Miroslav Raduljica

Raduljica, after solid rookie year, leaves NBA sooner than he’d hoped.

13. Dwyane Wade credits David Stern’s dress code for improving his style

Sep 19, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT

Dwyane Wade AP

“Then it became a competition amongst guys and now you really got into it more and you started to really understand the clothes you put on your body.” —Dwyane Wade

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches