Oct 24, 2013, 9:53 PM EST
The Clippers made some news over the past week or so when they decided to make some interior design decisions that affected (tangentially) their Staples Center roommates.
The Lakers and Clippers both play their home games in L.A.’s downtown arena, and the Lakers have a history of achievement that is proudly displayed on one of the walls there in the form of several championship banners and retired jersey numbers.
But the Clippers have no good reason to be forced to be reminded of their historical inadequacy, and Doc Rivers, in his first season as Clippers head coach, explained recently why he decided to do something about it.
“Last year when the Clippers were blowing us out, obviously I was sitting there with Eddie Lacerte, our trainer in Boston, and he taps me on the leg and says, ‘Look at that,’ ” Rivers said before Wednesday’s preseason game against the Utah Jazz.
“I didn’t want to look at anything at that point, we were down by 30 points, and I look up and you see all the banners. He said, ‘Man, I would never have that.’ This is what Eddie said. And I thought ‘Well, he’s right.’ Again, the Lakers can blame a Boston guy.”
This has nothing to do with taking a shot at the Lakers from a former Celtic, although it is worth noting that one of the most painful moments of Rivers’ career came at the hands of the Lakers in Game 7 of the 2010 NBA Finals.
As we’ve said more than once, this is about the Clippers establishing an identity for themselves in a city and within a building that has been the home of a far more successful and storied franchise for the past several years.
The Clippers should have done this a long time ago; credit Rivers for being the one to put this plan into motion.
- Kobe Bryant to have surgery on shoulder, is done for season 5
- PBT’s Weekly NBA Power Rankings: Hawks continue to fly high 1
- Kobe Bryant wanted to sign with Michael Jordan’s Wizards 5
- Pau Gasol’s trade tip put his and Marc Gasol’s All-Star futures in motion 1
- Reports: Kings at Knicks, Trail Blazers at Nets games Monday postponed due to coming storm 7
- Did win over Lakers break Rockets out of their defensive slump? 9
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: Thunder don’t look like playoff team yet 25
- Report: Hornets, Nets talking possible Lance Stephenson for Joe Johnson trade 11