Dallas’ Monta Ellis says he is passing too much

Oct 24, 2013, 3:15 PM EDT

Monta Ellis AP

Monta Ellis feels like he’s in an offensive funk this preseason. To me it looks like the same old Monta pretty much.

This preseason he’s shooting 40.8 percent overall and 30.4 percent from three, which is pretty close to last season’s 41.6 percent overall and 28.7 percent from three. He’s taking 14.2 shots per 36 minutes this preseason, which is down a little from the 16.8 last season but to be expected paired with the more efficient Dirk Nowitzki. In his last three games, Ellis is shooting 27.8 percent and has 11 turnovers.

Ellis expects better of himself and told ESPNDallas.com he thinks he knows what the problem is.

“I think I’m looking for the pass too much,” Ellis said after Wednesday’s win over the Atlanta Hawks’ backups, when he had 15 points on 5-of-13 shooting, five assists and six turnovers. “I’ve got to be more aggressive attacking the basket, getting a couple to go down and then work to see how the defense changes…

“There’s a lot of shots that’s been there and I’ve been making the late pass,” Ellis said. “I think the majority of my turnovers come because instead of me taking that shot or making the layup, I try to pass. I’ve got to get out of that. I’ve got to be more aggressive and make the defense move.”

There is a fine line to walk, between not being aggressive and playing your way and trying to set up teammates. Players need to get in a rhythm. So I get what Ellis is saying. And in general this preseason (at least when I’ve watched) he’s looked pretty good in their offense.

Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $15,000 Fantasy Basketball league on October, 30th. It’s $10 to join and first prize is $2,000. Starts October 30th at 7pm ET. Here’s the link.

But he is no longer option No. 1. I expect a bounce-back big year from Nowitzki. If Ellis ends up averaging more shots per game than Nowitzki he’s doing it wrong (Nowitzki is averaging 15.9 shots per 36 minutes in the preseason). Ellis needs to pick his spots. That’s an adjustment but one Ellis has to make to take his game to the next level.

Volume shooting is not the answer.

1. elwaysagenius - Oct 24, 2013 at 3:16 PM

Monta Ellis have it all

2. realbrasil80 - Oct 24, 2013 at 3:23 PM

Ill take “Funny things Monta Ellis says” for $200, Alex.

3. mwall2211 - Oct 24, 2013 at 3:28 PM

Don’t do it Monta!!!

4. stephenlin - Oct 24, 2013 at 4:07 PM

i understand monta’s reasoning…but just seeing this headline made me laugh, haha.

5. cbrown386 - Oct 24, 2013 at 4:18 PM

He’s right. He needs to make the defense respect his ability to drive to open up those kick outs to Dirk and Marion. I don’t think he means he’s going to come out and chuck 25 shots at the rim every night, but I wouldn’t put that past him either.

6. heat256 - Oct 24, 2013 at 4:53 PM

Yeah, why would a PG be responsible for dishing out assists and not jacking up shots that will make his teammates secretly hate him? The nerve!

7. sportsfan18 - Oct 24, 2013 at 6:42 PM

Cuban and the Mavs knew what they were getting when they signed him. They will be asking a tiger to change his stripes…

For his career, Monta averages 16.4 shots per 36 min’s of court time. Dirk averages 16.6 shots per 36 min’s of court time.

Of course Monta thinks he’s passing too much as he’s only taking 14.2 shots per 36 min’s right now. For his last 7 seasons, he’s been above that and for the last 6 seasons he hasn’t averaged less than 16.8 shots per 36 min’s.

Oh, and who would you rather take 16 shots a game?

Monta career .456% FG
    Dirk career .475% FG

Monta career .318% 3 pt %
    Dirk career .381% 3 pt %

Monta career .773% free throw as a guard
    Dirk career .877% free throw as a 7 footer

Monta career .526% true shooting percentage
    Dirk career .586% true shooting percentage

I’d say Dirk should take about 8 of Monta’s 16 shot attempts each game…

8. unfly - Oct 24, 2013 at 6:45 PM

He just needs to get back to playing Monta Ball.

9. lenbias34pt - Oct 24, 2013 at 6:46 PM

Any team that picks up Monta proves it will never win because a team has to have a high degree of ignorance to pick up Monta.
    So not only is the addition of Monta subtraction by addition, surly other poor decisions will follow suit.

Dallas will be a bottom 5 NBA team in 3 seasons.

• bougin89 - Oct 25, 2013 at 12:05 PM

I wouldn’t go that far but if Monta is your 1st or 2nd option on offense, you’re probably in trouble.

10. jimeejohnson - Oct 24, 2013 at 8:27 PM

As long as he’s not passing too much gas.

11. htownred34 - Oct 24, 2013 at 9:26 PM

Lol monta does not have career shooting averages of 45% he’s near the 40-42 range

• divan22 - Oct 25, 2013 at 3:21 AM

Try 45.6%. All you had to do was look it up.

• moseskkim - Oct 25, 2013 at 6:07 PM

its after he started shooting so many 3’s and long jumpers recently. he had a year of 53% or so. wow. when he put his head down and drove all day

12. thomaskouns - Oct 24, 2013 at 10:36 PM

If you read the rest of the article he mentions he’s playing too much defense……

13. wowwowbad - Oct 25, 2013 at 1:51 AM

what a moron

14. nickmiller63 - Oct 25, 2013 at 8:41 AM

Someone named “lenbias34″ talking about poor decisions — no lack of credibility there!

15. 00maltliquor - Oct 25, 2013 at 10:54 AM

He’s getting so many turnovers off the late passes because passing os so foriegn to him! lol

16. onlyavoice - Oct 26, 2013 at 7:52 AM

Did He Actually Say This Word For Word
    Or Did The Writer Take A Little Out Of 8 Questions He Answered To Make A Story.
    I’ll Take The Latter.

Lakers, Celtics among lottery bound teams
Top 10 NBA Player Searches