Oct 24, 2013, 3:15 PM EST
Monta Ellis feels like he’s in an offensive funk this preseason. To me it looks like the same old Monta pretty much.
This preseason he’s shooting 40.8 percent overall and 30.4 percent from three, which is pretty close to last season’s 41.6 percent overall and 28.7 percent from three. He’s taking 14.2 shots per 36 minutes this preseason, which is down a little from the 16.8 last season but to be expected paired with the more efficient Dirk Nowitzki. In his last three games, Ellis is shooting 27.8 percent and has 11 turnovers.
Ellis expects better of himself and told ESPNDallas.com he thinks he knows what the problem is.
“I think I’m looking for the pass too much,” Ellis said after Wednesday’s win over the Atlanta Hawks’ backups, when he had 15 points on 5-of-13 shooting, five assists and six turnovers. “I’ve got to be more aggressive attacking the basket, getting a couple to go down and then work to see how the defense changes…
“There’s a lot of shots that’s been there and I’ve been making the late pass,” Ellis said. “I think the majority of my turnovers come because instead of me taking that shot or making the layup, I try to pass. I’ve got to get out of that. I’ve got to be more aggressive and make the defense move.”
There is a fine line to walk, between not being aggressive and playing your way and trying to set up teammates. Players need to get in a rhythm. So I get what Ellis is saying. And in general this preseason (at least when I’ve watched) he’s looked pretty good in their offense.
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $15,000 Fantasy Basketball league on October, 30th. It’s $10 to join and first prize is $2,000. Starts October 30th at 7pm ET. Here’s the link.
But he is no longer option No. 1. I expect a bounce-back big year from Nowitzki. If Ellis ends up averaging more shots per game than Nowitzki he’s doing it wrong (Nowitzki is averaging 15.9 shots per 36 minutes in the preseason). Ellis needs to pick his spots. That’s an adjustment but one Ellis has to make to take his game to the next level.
Volume shooting is not the answer.
- Pistons release Josh Smith. WHAT? 45
- Lakers may give Kobe Bryant some nights off to rest. If he wants them. 24
- PBT’s Sunday Night Winners/Losers: Anthony Davis is playing like an MVP 13
- Sources: Kings prefer George Karl, not serious about hiring Mark Jackson 8
- Nuggets Danilo Gallinari has meniscus tear in right knee, out three weeks after surgery 7
- Rajon Rondo was very Rondoesque in debut with Mavericks (VIDEO) 20
- Report: Kings discussing trade for Deron Williams with Nets 14
- Report: Multiple teams contacting Suns trying to trade for Goran Dragic 10