Oct 24, 2013, 3:15 PM EDT
Monta Ellis feels like he’s in an offensive funk this preseason. To me it looks like the same old Monta pretty much.
This preseason he’s shooting 40.8 percent overall and 30.4 percent from three, which is pretty close to last season’s 41.6 percent overall and 28.7 percent from three. He’s taking 14.2 shots per 36 minutes this preseason, which is down a little from the 16.8 last season but to be expected paired with the more efficient Dirk Nowitzki. In his last three games, Ellis is shooting 27.8 percent and has 11 turnovers.
Ellis expects better of himself and told ESPNDallas.com he thinks he knows what the problem is.
“I think I’m looking for the pass too much,” Ellis said after Wednesday’s win over the Atlanta Hawks’ backups, when he had 15 points on 5-of-13 shooting, five assists and six turnovers. “I’ve got to be more aggressive attacking the basket, getting a couple to go down and then work to see how the defense changes…
“There’s a lot of shots that’s been there and I’ve been making the late pass,” Ellis said. “I think the majority of my turnovers come because instead of me taking that shot or making the layup, I try to pass. I’ve got to get out of that. I’ve got to be more aggressive and make the defense move.”
There is a fine line to walk, between not being aggressive and playing your way and trying to set up teammates. Players need to get in a rhythm. So I get what Ellis is saying. And in general this preseason (at least when I’ve watched) he’s looked pretty good in their offense.
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $15,000 Fantasy Basketball league on October, 30th. It’s $10 to join and first prize is $2,000. Starts October 30th at 7pm ET. Here’s the link.
But he is no longer option No. 1. I expect a bounce-back big year from Nowitzki. If Ellis ends up averaging more shots per game than Nowitzki he’s doing it wrong (Nowitzki is averaging 15.9 shots per 36 minutes in the preseason). Ellis needs to pick his spots. That’s an adjustment but one Ellis has to make to take his game to the next level.
Volume shooting is not the answer.
- Report: Greg Oden’s drinking an issue during season, alleged domestic assault 8
- Kevin Durant calls Allen Iverson “pound for pound” best ever 19
- PBT Extra: What players looked good at World Cup? 4
- Time for FIBA/NBA to adopt soccer model: Only one major tournament every four years 16
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Brooklyn Nets 3
- Five lessons learned from the FIBA World Cup 10
- USA celebrates gold medal with lots of dancing (except Derrick Rose) 12
- Too much World Cup MVP Kyrie Irving for Serbia to handle as USA wins gold easily 129-92 30