Oct 24, 2013, 12:46 PM EST
Brandon Jennings’ jaw is still wired shut.
You can’t really play basketball that way (no, not even Kobe) and more than that you can’t really eat and train properly to get ready for the season. Jennings went through a light workout while wearing a mask on Wednesday but is a ways away from returning, reports David Mayo at MLive.com.
The projected starting point guard is expected to miss at least four regular-season games. “He’s been a part of everything, with the exception of running,” Cheeks said. “So when we’ve watched film and been on the practice floor, he has been a part of it. So yeah, whenever he gets his situation taken care of, we’ll put him in there, see what he’s got.”
In the interim, expect a whole lot of Chauncey Billups (he played 32 minutes in the Pistons preseason game Tuesday).
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $15,000 Fantasy Basketball league on October, 30th. It’s $10 to join and first prize is $2,000. Starts October 30th at 7pm ET. Here’s the link.
This was expected when news of an impacted wisdom tooth and hairline fracture in his jaw was reported; we just didn’t know how many games. How did he get the injury? You can judge for yourself.
The bigger challenge falls to new coach Maurice Cheeks. The Pistons have a powerful front line — Andre Drummond, Josh Smith and Greg Monroe — but it’s going to be paired with some unconventional backcourts. Detroit needs some shooting and floor spacing, but it’s hard to know what they have exactly with Jennings just watching film and not playing. Plus Rodney Stuckey has been out with a broken finger (but could return this weekend). It leaves a lot for Will Bynum and rookies Peyton Siva and Kentavious Caldwell-Pope. Cheeks has no choice but to keep experimenting with lineups as the team gets into the season.
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: Thunder don’t look like playoff team yet 0
- Report: Hornets, Nets talking possible Lance Stephenson for Joe Johnson trade 6
- Hassan Whiteside posts 14-point, 13-rebound, 12-block triple-double in Heat win over Bulls (VIDEO) 30
- Brandon Jennings leaves game in wheelchair, may have torn Achilles 8
- LaMarcus Aldridge decides to delay surgery, will return for Blazers Saturday vs. Wizards 7
- WATCH: Kobe Bryant’s doctor explains diagnosis to him following exam of injured shoulder 10
- Report: Cavaliers players say they ‘had lost faith’ due to lack of depth and roster construction 46
- Kobe Bryant will be back next season, he can’t resist the challenge 20