Oct 23, 2013, 6:29 PM EDT
It’s time for our regular look around the NBA — links to stories worth reading and notes to check out (stuff that did not get its own post here at PBT) — done in bullet point form. Because bloggers love bullet points more than Skittles…
• If you are rebuilding with youth, rule one is to keep those youth around. That’s what the Cleveland Cavaliers did on Thursday, picking up the options on Kyrie Irving and Tristan Thompson (fourth year for those two), plus Dion Waiters and Tyler Zeller (third year options for them). While they have picked up the option, you can expect a max five-year extension offer to come to Irving next summer.
• Celtics GM Danny Ainge again makes it sound like he has no intention of trading Rajon Rondo (of course, what else can he say?). Here is the money quote, via Ken Berger of CBSSports.com.
“It’s my job to build the Celtics, and Rondo is a big part of that. Will everything be as perfect as he would like it? I don’t believe so, but it’s not perfect for us, either, the fact that he can’t play. I think Rondo is with us. I think he likes a lot of the core guys on our team now, and I think he is optimistic and looking forward to a new chapter.”
• Over at ESPN (Insider, so you have to pay), salary cap guru put together his annual list of the most underpaid and overpaid players in the NBA. Top three most underpaid: LeBron James, Kevin Durant and Kyrie Irving. It’s obvious why Irving on his rookie deal makes the list, as for LeBron and Durant the money they generate for their teams far outstrips even a max NBA salary. The most overpaid? Kobe Bryant (his $30 million salary does him in), Amar’e Stoudemire and Joe Johnson.
• Zach Lowe’s 32 predictions for the NBA season over at Grantland are a great read.
• Another great read: Sports Business Journal profiled Adam Silver.
• At Sports Illustrated, Ben Golliver and Rob Mahoney make a stab at predicting the All NBA Team at the end of the season. They predict a logical first team: Chris Paul, Derrick Rose, LeBron James, Kevin Durant and Dwight Howard.
• Chris Paul and Stephen Curry picked up a new endorsement deal — partnering with Kaiser Permanente to promote its #OwnNow program, which encourages young adults to live healthy and active lives — and to get health insurance.
• Stan Van Gundy was on NBCSN’s Sports Dash Wednesday and talked the GM poll, plus who could knock off the Heat or deny LeBron another MVP.
• Miami Heat draft pick and PBT favorite (Long Beach State!) James Ennis is tearing it up in Austrailia.
• Finally, here is seven minutes of J.J. Redick talking about fancy watches.
- Rumor: Paul Pierce might opt out of contract with Wizards, join Clippers 14
- Golden State Warriors vs. Houston Rockets Game 4: Three things to watch from Houston 7
- LeBron James posts triple-double, Al Horford ejected as Cavaliers take 3-0 series lead with OT Game 3 win over Hawks 29
- Kyrie Irving out for Game 3 for Cavaliers with knee tendonitis 3
- Lil B says James Harden is officially under the Based God’s curse 31
- Warriors don’t live by 3, die by 3. They live by defense, live by defense 9
- Stephen Curry drops 40, Warriors rout Rockets by 35 to take 3-0 series lead 27
- Hawks Kyle Korver out for remainder of playoffs with high ankle sprain 17