Oct 23, 2013, 5:36 PM EDT
Lakers fans could have watched their team’s preseason win over Utah Tuesday night with a sense of optimism. Jordan Farmar looked good in the second half running the offense, Wes Johnson looked comfortable in the system on his way to 14 points, Xavier Henry was attacking, Jordan Hill looked solid in the paint. You could extrapolate out from that things aren’t as bad as some pundits predict for the Lakers.
That’s not what Tracy McGrady saw.
He was watching the Lakers game and tweeted this:
Sitting here watching the Lakers, and I feel sorry for my boy Jellybean when he comes back!—
Tracy McGrady (@Real_T_Mac) October 23, 2013
As there should be in the preseason, there is optimism in the Lakers camp… and by optimism I mean thinking they will make the playoffs. I’m not on board that train. Talent wins in the NBA and while fans can talk of improved chemistry and the rest, the best players win the most games in the Association. The Lakers replaced Dwight Howard with Chris Kaman and Metta World Peace with Johnson and Henry. Those are not upgrades. Nick Young is a gunner not an answer.
As I’ve said more than once, I expect Kobe Bryant to come back and not be terribly far from the Kobe we remember on offense — he’s become more of a jump shooter who uses his footwork and fundamentals to get the ball in his spots then get his shot off. That will not change.
The big issue is the Lakers are going to struggle defensively. You could see some of that against the Jazz Tuesday — Steve Blake struggled to defend Gordon Hayward and when he got broken down the Lakers (with Kaman out) just lost all defensive shape and integrity. With a slowed somewhat Kobe the Lakers perimeter defense is in question. The Lakers open the season against Chris Paul (with Steve Nash guarding him) and the West is flush with good, attacking point guards. That defensive integrity will be tested.
By the time he comes back, we all may feel for Kobe Bryant.
- Report: Nike gets chance to match 10-year, $265 million offer to Kevin Durant from Under Armour 1
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 18
- Report: Suns discussing trade possibilities for Eric Bledsoe 26
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 32
- Kevin Durant reiterates that rest was his reason for withdrawing from Team USA 9
- Kobe Bryant says he will not be same player as before, says he’s evolved into something equally good 25
- Report: Agent for Greg Monroe pursued sign-and-trade deals with five teams, including Thunder and Blazers 26
- Derrick Rose sits out another Team USA practice, not likely to start Wednesday 23