Oct 23, 2013, 5:36 PM EST
Lakers fans could have watched their team’s preseason win over Utah Tuesday night with a sense of optimism. Jordan Farmar looked good in the second half running the offense, Wes Johnson looked comfortable in the system on his way to 14 points, Xavier Henry was attacking, Jordan Hill looked solid in the paint. You could extrapolate out from that things aren’t as bad as some pundits predict for the Lakers.
That’s not what Tracy McGrady saw.
He was watching the Lakers game and tweeted this:
Sitting here watching the Lakers, and I feel sorry for my boy Jellybean when he comes back!—
Tracy McGrady (@Real_T_Mac) October 23, 2013
As there should be in the preseason, there is optimism in the Lakers camp… and by optimism I mean thinking they will make the playoffs. I’m not on board that train. Talent wins in the NBA and while fans can talk of improved chemistry and the rest, the best players win the most games in the Association. The Lakers replaced Dwight Howard with Chris Kaman and Metta World Peace with Johnson and Henry. Those are not upgrades. Nick Young is a gunner not an answer.
As I’ve said more than once, I expect Kobe Bryant to come back and not be terribly far from the Kobe we remember on offense — he’s become more of a jump shooter who uses his footwork and fundamentals to get the ball in his spots then get his shot off. That will not change.
The big issue is the Lakers are going to struggle defensively. You could see some of that against the Jazz Tuesday — Steve Blake struggled to defend Gordon Hayward and when he got broken down the Lakers (with Kaman out) just lost all defensive shape and integrity. With a slowed somewhat Kobe the Lakers perimeter defense is in question. The Lakers open the season against Chris Paul (with Steve Nash guarding him) and the West is flush with good, attacking point guards. That defensive integrity will be tested.
By the time he comes back, we all may feel for Kobe Bryant.
- A day later, Kobe didn’t think he played quite so bad 0
- Why question “When did basketball get so bad?” misses mark 2
- Adam Silver: NBA to consider doing away with divisions 11
- The Extra Pass: Five quick ways to improve the league; plus Monday’s Recaps 14
- Monday night NBA Grades: DeMarcus Cousins was in beast mode 3
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (65)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (54)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (47)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (43)
- Durant tells “60 Minutes Sports” he’s still tired of being No. 2 (35)