Oct 23, 2013, 10:30 PM EDT
Greg Oden hasn’t played NBA minutes since December 5, 2009 — a span of 1,418 days.
(That figure is via Ben Golliver at SI.com, who personally lived through the Oden nightmare in Portland, so we’ll take his word for it.)
Oden was picked up by the Miami Heat this summer, on a one-year minimum deal in the off chance he may be able to help the team against the likes of Roy Hibbert and the Indiana Pacers several months from now.
It’s early, and Oden isn’t going to be pressed into any premature game situations. But as a reward for his hard work during training camp, Oden was given some real minutes in preseason action against New Orleans on Wednesday — and he delivered immediately, the first time he touched the ball just seconds into his stint.
It would be beyond foolish to try to count on Oden’s health at this extremely early stage, but it’s obvious that if he is somehow 100 percent healthy once the postseason begins, you can go ahead and pencil Miami in for their fourth straight trip to the Finals.
Nov 1, 2014, 9:30 AM EDT
X-rays were negative, but Rose missed all of the 4th quarter and overtime with the injury.
Nov 1, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
Nov 1, 2014, 12:31 AM EDT
Oct 31, 2014, 11:23 PM EDT
It wasn’t perfect, but the Cavaliers will take the hard-fought victory after the opening night embarrassment.
Oct 31, 2014, 10:13 PM EDT
An exercise in futility for Waiters.
Oct 31, 2014, 9:05 PM EDT
Fair for both sides.
Oct 31, 2014, 7:23 PM EDT
Some Halloween fun in Phoenix.
Oct 31, 2014, 6:03 PM EDT
Varejao is one of LeBron James’ favorite teammates
Oct 31, 2014, 5:48 PM EDT
Butler’s agent claims the Bulls wanted him to take a hometown discount.
Oct 31, 2014, 5:22 PM EDT
Thompson’s max deal was inevitable.
Oct 31, 2014, 5:00 PM EDT
It’s as great as you’d expect.
Oct 31, 2014, 4:15 PM EDT
Lopez has no timetable for a return.
Oct 31, 2014, 3:30 PM EDT
Knight will be a restricted free agent this summer.
Oct 31, 2014, 2:33 PM EDT
LeBron’s agent also represents Jackson
Oct 31, 2014, 1:37 PM EDT
Oklahoma City has completely relied on its two – now injured – stars
Oct 31, 2014, 12:50 PM EDT
Are they certain this time?
Oct 31, 2014, 12:06 PM EDT
Utah betting big, too big, on Burks continuing to improve
Oct 31, 2014, 11:10 AM EDT
Clippers owner continues to go crazy while watching games
Oct 31, 2014, 10:30 AM EDT
Dirk, Monta and Chandler are the new Run DMC
Oct 31, 2014, 9:53 AM EDT
New coach didn’t give reserves enough playing time in Cleveland’s opener
- LeBron scores 36, Cavaliers bounce back to get overtime win over Bulls 14
- Ricky Rubio agrees to 4-year, $55 million contract extension with Timberwolves 12
- Report: Warriors agree to four-year, $70 million extension with Klay Thompson 14
- Can Thunder, without Kevin Durant and Russell Westbrook, overcome their first identity crisis? 13
- Jazz guard Alec Burks signs contract extension worth $42 million-$45 million 13
- Thursday night NBA Winners/Losers: The injury gods show Thunder no mercy 12
- No Durant, Westbrook goes down, Thunder still make it interesting but fall to Clippers 2
- Thunder’s Russell Westbrook fractures hand, likely out 4-6 weeks 10