Dirk Nowitzki warned Mark Cuban the Mavericks had big problems before last season

Oct 23, 2013, 10:15 AM EDT

Dirk Nowitzki AP

The Mavericks were so desperate to find a point guard last season, they started Darren Collison, Mike James, Derek Fisher and Dominique Jones in a futile attempt to keep throwing floor generals at the wall until one stuck.

O.J. Mayo started all 82 games at shooting guard, but his play did not impress Rick Carlisle.

There were certainly other factors, but Dallas’ guards were a reason the Mavericks finished 41-41, their worst record in 13 years, and missed the playoffs for the first time in that span.

It’s easy for me to make that assessment now that I’ve seen Dallas’ 2012-13 season, but Dirk Nowitzki could have told you the same thing before it even began.

Mark Cuban on 103.3 ESPN Radio, as transcribed by The Dallas Morning News:

Something that I haven’t said publicly, I remember last year when we went to Europe, and I was kind of excited like I normally am, and we had gotten Darron [Collison], and we had gotten Kaman, and Elton Brand, and O.J., and I thought we kind of were fortunate to get the guys we did, and Dirk came up to me and said, ‘We can’t pass, and we can’t shoot. Our guards aren’t there.’ This is the preseason, and I was like, ‘Are you kidding me?’ and he’s like, ‘Sorry, bro.’ And Dirk is kind of a Debbie-downer. He and J-Kidd were always that way where it was always the worst ever, and then he digs in and he’s a warrior, but that was the first time I’d ever really heard him say anything that negative, and he was right. This year, you talk to Dirk, and he just smiles and shakes his head. And when you get that out of Dirk, that shows that I think he’s fired up, he’s ready.

Cuban clearly believes in Nowitzki. Just read the rest of that interview for even more Dirk praise from the owner. So, if Nowitzki says he likes this year’s backcourt – newly acquired Jose Calderon and Monta Ellis – that might be good enough for Cuban.

Personally, I still have questions. Can Calderon sustain his level of player into his late 30s? Will Ellis just hog the ball? Whom will either of these two defend?

Calderon and Ellis should be an upgrade over Collison/James/Fisher/Jones and Mayo, and if that’s all Nowitzki and Cuban want, they’ll likely be pleased. This is no longer a backcourt that can be dismissed in the preseason.

Now, if only we could get Nowitzki’s early opinion of Dallas’ aging wings.

1. spursareold - Oct 23, 2013 at 11:28 AM

Monta gonna play Monta ball…

• adamsjohn714 - Oct 23, 2013 at 10:39 PM

Thankfully, Kaman is gone, clearing space for the younger, better big men.

2. daddyghi - Oct 23, 2013 at 1:09 PM

Can Calderon sustain his level of player into his late 30s?

wow… Mr. Dan Feldman, the last time i checked, 32 is early 30’s… since when did it became late 30’s?

3. redbaronx - Oct 23, 2013 at 1:47 PM

I feel sorry for Nowitzki. Cuban let Tyson Chandler go (the one guy they should have held on to) and tried to go cheap with Vet has beens on his roster. Dallas needs a serious infusion of youth and prospects.

• zerole00 - Oct 23, 2013 at 7:40 PM

He didn’t go cheap, he was preparing for the new CBA and clearing cap space for the big name free agents that were going on the market. He made an honest effort for the long term and it failed, but that’s a lot better effort than other owners.

How well did the other teams do? The Nets last season were a HUGE waste of money, so will 2014 be if they don’t win the championship (given their roster cost), and the Lakers wasted two first round picks on Nash alone to compliment an experiment that went horribly wrong. The only team that actually won the free agent competition were the Clippers and Rockets (the latter of which was kind of a surprise).

The Mavericks probably would have been competitive if they kept their championship roster, but they wouldn’t have won given the rising of the Thunder and Heat. A swing and a miss was the better alternative IMO.

• redbaronx - Oct 23, 2013 at 11:47 PM

Like I said, Chandler was the key. letting go of Jason Terry was fine, and so was the other salary dumps. Was just a blatant miscalculation on his part.

4. skinsfanwill - Oct 24, 2013 at 2:53 PM

He should have showed up to meet with Deron Williams instead of blowing him off and that team would be doing very well right now. He thought he had D Will in the bag.

Will LeBron get booed Christmas Day in Miami?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches