Oct 23, 2013, 12:51 PM EDT
The Brooklyn Nets (as had been expected) will sit their entire likely starting five on Wednesday night, the team announced. No new injuries, just Deron Williams, Brook Lopez, Joe Johnson, Pierce and Garnett getting the night off.
Williams has been out all preseason following a severe sprained right ankle that included a bone bruise during pre-camp training. Just a few days ago he said he didn’t know when he would be back, but on Tuesday he was taking part in full contact, 5-on-5 drills reports ESPN.
“It was good to get back out there,” said Williams, who is still recovering from a sprained right ankle injury he suffered during an offseason workout in Utah. “It was only for like 15-20 minutes, but to do contact, 5-on-5 half-court, you’re not part of the cheerleading squad. So it was definitely good to be out there.”
Williams still isn’t going to take part in any preseason games, but expect him to be on the court when the games start to matter next week. Brooklyn opens the season Oct. 30 at the Cavaliers.
- Chris Paul discusses his signature shoe, hoops with media at launch of his Jordan Brand CP3 VIII (VIDEO) 1
- 67RIEFNS No. 1: Tom Thibodeau managing his bigs 15
- Derrick Rose knows injury questions will keep coming. And coming. And coming. 7
- FIBA World Cup preview: USA, Spain, then who else can medal? 0
- Official ‘Clippers’ Number 1 Fan’ on herself and Donald Sterling: ‘I’ll always feel it’s our team’ 16
- Cavaliers GM admits concerns about rim protection on defense 19
- Coach K had DeMarcus Cousins as USA’s backup big long before final cuts 6
- World Cup preview: No Durant, no problem USA still one of two teams with legit shot to win gold 6