Oct 23, 2013, 12:51 PM EDT
The Brooklyn Nets (as had been expected) will sit their entire likely starting five on Wednesday night, the team announced. No new injuries, just Deron Williams, Brook Lopez, Joe Johnson, Pierce and Garnett getting the night off.
Williams has been out all preseason following a severe sprained right ankle that included a bone bruise during pre-camp training. Just a few days ago he said he didn’t know when he would be back, but on Tuesday he was taking part in full contact, 5-on-5 drills reports ESPN.
“It was good to get back out there,” said Williams, who is still recovering from a sprained right ankle injury he suffered during an offseason workout in Utah. “It was only for like 15-20 minutes, but to do contact, 5-on-5 half-court, you’re not part of the cheerleading squad. So it was definitely good to be out there.”
Williams still isn’t going to take part in any preseason games, but expect him to be on the court when the games start to matter next week. Brooklyn opens the season Oct. 30 at the Cavaliers.
- Posnanski: LeBron James proves he’s a true Clevelander 16
- Report: Isaiah Thomas headed to Phoenix Suns in a sign-and-trade 22
- Report: Chris Bosh re-signing with Heat over joining Rockets 73
- Report: Heat offer Chris Bosh full max contract to keep him from Rockets 26
- PBT Extra: LeBron James returns to Cleveland to try and cement legacy 17
- Deal set: Lakers trade for Jeremy Lin, which for L.A. is largely about draft pick (as is Gasol for Boozer idea) 34
- Carmelo Anthony still not ready to decide, but he needs to soon as options dry up 48
- Report: With LeBron James heading to Cleveland, Kevin Love would commit to Cavaliers long term if traded there 58