Andrew Wiggins wants you to stop comparing him to LeBron, Durant

Oct 23, 2013, 8:14 PM EDT

Andrew Wiggins AP

Andrew Wiggins is projected as the No. 1 overall pick next summer and beyond that a genuine franchise player. The best player drafted since 2007. A game changer. A guy you build around.

Have fun living up to that insane hype. When people talk about him they throw out the names LeBron James and Kevin Durant — the two best players in the game today (we’ve done that here at PBT). Not because Wiggins is in their mold (his style is probably more vintage Tracy McGrady if you need a comp) but because he’s expected to have that kind of impact.

Except he wants you to stop comparing him to those two.  Here is what he told ESPN.

“I’ve got a long way to go before I can be compared to LeBron and Durant,” Wiggins said. “Those are the best players in the world right now and I’m still in college. So I think it’s really unfair to compare me to someone of that caliber. Hopefully one day I can be compared to them, but I think I still have a long way to go before I can be.”

He’s right, but the comparisons and hype are not going to stop. I think a year at a major program like Kansas is good for Wiggins — it’s a new level of spotlight that he needs to get used to because it’s only likely to get much brighter. He needs to learn how to adjust.

Wiggins will almost certainly one-and-done at Kansas this year and how he performs could impact his draft standing (this is a deep class with guys such as Dante Exum, Julius Randle and Aaron Goodwin among others will be in the mix). Still, expect that next June Wiggins will go No. 1, and that’s when the real comparisons will start.

1. bigbenh8tr - Oct 23, 2013 at 8:22 PM

Someones not confident.

• stephenolszewski - Oct 23, 2013 at 9:00 PM

Correction: Someone’s humble…

• antistratfordian - Oct 23, 2013 at 9:34 PM

Humble? He thinks people are comparing him to 2013 LeBron and Durant when they’re not. How is that humble?

• adamsjohn714 - Oct 23, 2013 at 9:39 PM

Anti… people are comparing them. I’ve heard it in many places and from many pundits/talking heads on TV.

• nyheels29 - Oct 23, 2013 at 9:56 PM

That statement definitely doesn’t show he’s not confident. I’m not sure it really speaks to humility either. I think it’s more just being rationale and wanting to be your own individual player agree w JHatwell good luck with that in today’s media…antistratfordian where does it say he thinks people are comparing him to 13 Bron and KD? He doesn’t. He’s been compared to them as a prospect for the better part of the past year and a half ad nauseum, just look literally anywhere on the internet that covers college basketball and college basketball recruiting. He is widely considered the best pro prospect since Greg Oden (people usually leave him out as he didn’t pan out, the Bron and KD comparisons sound better…

• antistratfordian - Oct 23, 2013 at 10:07 PM

No. Nobody has compared 18 year old Wiggins to 28 year old LeBron. It has never happened. Not even once.

If you rephrased the question for Wiggins and posed it like this: “How do you think you compare to 18 year old Kevin Durant?” You will get a completely different answer.

But here’s he’s talking about “they’re the best players in the world and I’m only in college! It’s unfair to compare the best players in the world to me.” Well, no kidding. I don’t know why he would think that anyone was even going there to begin with… except for ego, either that or he’s slow.

• adamsjohn714 - Oct 23, 2013 at 10:35 PM

stop being obtuse, Anti. It’s painfully obvious they’re comparing Wiggins to Lebron and Durant at age 18, not the current versions. Well, obvious to everyone but you.

• antistratfordian - Oct 23, 2013 at 11:00 PM

“He thinks people are comparing him to 2013 LeBron and Durant when they’re not”

What did you think I meant by that? I know that people are comparing him to the 18 year old versions of Bron and KD – but Wiggins doesn’t! He’s thinks they’re talking about something else. That’s my point.

• asimonetti88 - Oct 24, 2013 at 12:27 AM

Wow, do you have to contradict everything? You must be a joy to be around.

• domblaze - Oct 24, 2013 at 2:25 AM

I don’t understand where all the hype around Jabari Parker disappeared to? So he committed to Duke and now he’s just going to be another average Duke pro? He can’t be another Superstar like Kyrie?

• chicitybulls - Oct 24, 2013 at 9:46 AM

It’s still there. For some reason I dont think the author believes in Jabari Parker. I’ve asked why he was omitted before in other posts but didn’t get an answer. Parker is definitely in the conversation and amongst the best in the class.

• Kurt Helin - Oct 24, 2013 at 9:56 PM

I mentioned the guys at the top of the DraftExpress current mock, and that is THE go to draft site. They have Parker 7th. Good, but not top 5. Maybe that changes during the season, but I’m sorry if that does not conform to your bias.

• chicitybulls - Oct 25, 2013 at 9:25 AM

I actually acknowledged that in another post. I thought you used your own analysis and judged the players on your own instead of piggy backing on another site so that’s my mistake. I dont really see it as a “bias”. I’m just going on what I see and heard over the past year or so.

• chicitybulls - Oct 24, 2013 at 9:54 AM

Correction. He did answer and stated he’s going off of DraftExpress’ list, not his own. To each his own though. Parker will be a beast this year and will play well at the next level.

• tcclark - Oct 24, 2013 at 8:58 PM

Someone’s Canadian

2. antistratfordian - Oct 23, 2013 at 8:28 PM

That’s not a problem. I think by the time the draft happens it won’t be discussed at all.

• nyheels29 - Oct 23, 2013 at 9:58 PM

I think the point of what he’s saying is that he doesn’t want to hear that before he even steps foot on the court for a college game. Your comment and the comparisons people are making already are equally baseless and useless at this point

• antistratfordian - Oct 23, 2013 at 10:03 PM

Well the comparisons aren’t baseless and useless. There’s truth in some of them, like mine.

3. somekat - Oct 23, 2013 at 8:33 PM

I like the fact that a kid blown up by the whole world is still humble. He’s not those guys yet. Those guys weren’t those guys when they were 18. It’s good that he knows that

• antistratfordian - Oct 23, 2013 at 8:49 PM

Wiggins (and you) should not assume that people are comparing him to LeBron and Durant of today. The comparison is to LeBron and Durant at the same age, and he is still not there.

• tcclark - Oct 24, 2013 at 9:02 PM

The biggest difference between him and Lebron. Hopefully his humble attitude still allows him to be a competitor and a winner on the court. Most of the greatests have been d*&ks so far. I love him but Michael was an A-hole and that attitude is what helped him be great.

But I’m a Sixers fan so I’m rooting for him to be the real deal.

4. JHathwell - Oct 23, 2013 at 9:23 PM

yeah, good luck with getting the media to honor your request. Let me know how that works out for you.

5. nyheels29 - Oct 23, 2013 at 10:00 PM

Who is Aaron Goodwin? I think you might mean Aaron Gordon, or maybe Aaron Harrison. Either way, I’m surprised either would come up in comparison before mentioning Marcus Smart or Jabari Parker. Damn, there’s crazy talent this year in college basketball. Should be an awesome season, just a few more weeks…

• chicitybulls - Oct 24, 2013 at 9:47 AM

Parker isn’t high on HIS list but is on most other peoples.

6. 00maltliquor - Oct 23, 2013 at 10:02 PM

That’s because with that fro, he wants to be compared to a young Kobe Bryant! Not LeBron or KD.

• antistratfordian - Oct 23, 2013 at 11:36 PM

He’s trying to be the #1 pick and start, not 13th and ride the pine.

• adamsjohn714 - Oct 24, 2013 at 12:35 AM

haha.

• 00maltliquor - Oct 24, 2013 at 1:56 AM

I’m sorry, my apologies. I didn’t know Andrew Wiggins didn’t want to possibly become a 5x NBA Champion, 2x Finals MVP, MVP, 15x All-Star, 4x All-Star game MVP, 2x scoring champ, 11x all-NBA 1st team, 9x all-NBA Defensive team (3x 2nd teamer), Slam Dunk Champ, and Leagues premier franchise’s leading all time scorer (calm down, Kareem wasn’t with LAL his whole career, that title goes to Kobe). Not to mention considered one of the games best to ever play and an International legend.

Yeah, I’m sure he’s just fine with carrying on with a legacy like Michael Olowakandi or Kwame Brown.

• antistratfordian - Oct 24, 2013 at 2:11 AM

He doesn’t. He wants to be better than that, more like LeBron James.

• 00maltliquor - Oct 24, 2013 at 2:21 AM

LeBron’s STILL trying to get to that level bro.

• antistratfordian - Oct 24, 2013 at 2:30 AM

Yawn. Call me when Kobrick wins MVP and Finals MVP in back-to-back seasons like MJ, LBJ and Russell. NEVER GOING TO HAPPEN.

Pffft. Call me when Wack Mamba is the guy with the most MVPs on his own team! lol.

• 00maltliquor - Oct 24, 2013 at 2:39 AM

C’mooon anti, that was weak and you know it! You’re better then that, you must be on East Coast time and you’re tired and have one eye open. BRING the HEAT!!!

• antistratfordian - Oct 24, 2013 at 2:44 AM

Ha. I’m just having some fun, bruh.

• 00maltliquor - Oct 24, 2013 at 2:41 AM

*Pun intended!

• 00maltliquor - Oct 24, 2013 at 2:58 AM

LOL! I know, me too.

7. andyreidisfat - Oct 23, 2013 at 11:29 PM

No matter how you look at it wiggins will be a sixer along with another top 10 pick to boot when the pelicans end up somewhere between 6-10….. (Dreams). Really I like the kid and he does look a lot like tmac with more athletic ability. As sixers fan I would be happy with Parker or Randell but wiggins is the best prospect in a long time, since rose (though you could argue the pg in ceveland as well) whoever gets him will be inline to be a contender for years to come

8. johngalt1783 - Oct 23, 2013 at 11:51 PM

My guess is that one of the Kentucky players will taken #1, probably Randle and not Wiggins. Kansas should have a good team but if the Wildcats win the NCAA title in March a Wildcat will probably go #1 and Wiggins maybe #2

9. johngalt1783 - Oct 23, 2013 at 11:56 PM

The comparison is stupid at any time in their careers. Wiggins may become a franchise player but there are other franchise players besides Lebron and KD. Besides what has KD won except scoring titles? He didn’t with a championship in college and so far not in the NBA.

As far as game style goes. KD is 6’11” and in college was strictly a shooter and nothing else. I doubt Wiggin will ever be the shooter that KD is. As far as Lebron goes the comparison is way off base. Lebron had a man’s body when he was a rookie. He is a power player who has added finesse to his game. Wiggins is not a power player nor the passer that Lebron is and Wiggins will never be as good a passer as Lebron who plays three positions for the champion Heat; i.e., SF, PF and PG.

• Kurt Helin - Oct 24, 2013 at 10:00 PM

KD is 25, cut him some slack. Check how old MJ was when he won his first.

10. ruffridin - Oct 24, 2013 at 1:47 AM

Team Canada has a bright basketball future

11. twpguy1964 - Oct 24, 2013 at 6:19 AM

so does everyone else with a brain! You have to be a complete idiot to compare him to either James or Durant!

12. cantonbound13 - Oct 24, 2013 at 12:21 PM

Smart kid. Aim higher, like Magic, Larry or MJ.

13. program33 - Oct 25, 2013 at 7:50 PM

I bet anti is a fat out of shape guy with glasses.

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches