Oct 23, 2013, 8:14 PM EDT
Andrew Wiggins is projected as the No. 1 overall pick next summer and beyond that a genuine franchise player. The best player drafted since 2007. A game changer. A guy you build around.
Have fun living up to that insane hype. When people talk about him they throw out the names LeBron James and Kevin Durant — the two best players in the game today (we’ve done that here at PBT). Not because Wiggins is in their mold (his style is probably more vintage Tracy McGrady if you need a comp) but because he’s expected to have that kind of impact.
Except he wants you to stop comparing him to those two. Here is what he told ESPN.
“I’ve got a long way to go before I can be compared to LeBron and Durant,” Wiggins said. “Those are the best players in the world right now and I’m still in college. So I think it’s really unfair to compare me to someone of that caliber. Hopefully one day I can be compared to them, but I think I still have a long way to go before I can be.”
He’s right, but the comparisons and hype are not going to stop. I think a year at a major program like Kansas is good for Wiggins — it’s a new level of spotlight that he needs to get used to because it’s only likely to get much brighter. He needs to learn how to adjust.
Wiggins will almost certainly one-and-done at Kansas this year and how he performs could impact his draft standing (this is a deep class with guys such as Dante Exum, Julius Randle and Aaron Goodwin among others will be in the mix). Still, expect that next June Wiggins will go No. 1, and that’s when the real comparisons will start.
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 7
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 0
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 8
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 47
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 14
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 48