Tyler Hansbrough backs down from confrontation after realizing it’s Metta World Peace (VIDEO)

Oct 22, 2013, 12:09 AM EDT

This is THE video of the NBA night, and one you will see replayed thousands of times, especially  every time Tyler Hansbrough‘s toughness comes up.

During an otherwise often tedious double overtime preseason game, Toronto’s Hansbrough missed a shot and as he went for an offensive rebound and putback he got fouled solidly from behind. Hansbrough didn’t see who fouled him, but he didn’t like it one bit. He lashed out, threw the arms off him and turned around looking for a little more…

And saw Metta World Peace.

Hansbrough’s eyes bug out like a Tex Avery cartoon — that is really the best part of the video — and he just backs down. It looks like he even says “my bad” even though he got hacked. Carmelo Anthony said after the game he heard a Hansbrough apology.

Classic.

By the way, the Raptors went on to win the game 123-120.

1. lakerade - Oct 22, 2013 at 12:24 AM

I miss Ronron.

• maracineanu16 - Oct 22, 2013 at 2:14 AM

not ronron – a MoRon

• spthegr8 - Oct 22, 2013 at 11:55 AM

@maracineanu
        If you were to call Ron a MoRon to his face, you would do the EXACT same thing That Tyler did!!! I’m not calling him Psycho T ANYMORE!!! LLS!!!

• asimonetti88 - Oct 22, 2013 at 3:03 PM

I think you misspelled “hater”

2. peehergriphon - Oct 22, 2013 at 12:37 AM

Anything for World Peace…

3. rickyspanish - Oct 22, 2013 at 1:13 AM

Even if your nickname has the word “Psycho” in it, you better think twice before throwin down with World Peace.

4. billsfanaddict - Oct 22, 2013 at 1:27 AM

WOW, oh $4!t, my bad my bad …quoth the raven

5. norcal031 - Oct 22, 2013 at 2:48 AM

That’s that ni66a METTAMAN!!!!!!! Don’t mess with him.

6. norcal031 - Oct 22, 2013 at 2:51 AM

He hits you and you’re apologizing for being hit.

• apkyletexas - Oct 22, 2013 at 10:24 AM

BS. Hansbrough never acted like he was going to throw down. And he clearly didn’t say “my bad”.

You little girls commenting on this site have never been in a real confrontation, so you make believe you are seeing one in order to satisfy your estrogen-fueled urges.

• billsfanaddict - Oct 22, 2013 at 10:57 AM

Really!?! “Clearly”!?!
        so what did you see that noone else saw.

…& you wanna go ‘n talk about scrappin/feudin/fussin-about… ive probably been attacked w/more Weapons than youve been in arguments, and I reckon I aint even remotely close to being the most rough ‘n tumble dude around these parts. You have no idea what any of these commenters lives are like.

If you gotta vociferously blow up like that about something your probably wrong about & doesnt need defending from you or have anything to do with you, then, you should go sit down under your bridge [troll] and take a midol b/c you seem to be getting all Hansborough’ed up about this tough guy.

• apkyletexas - Oct 22, 2013 at 12:16 PM

“My bad” doesn’t have the 5 syllables that his moving mouth clearly uttered. More like “hey, get off my back”.

Get used to it, Laker fan. This is what crappy teams do – you know, trying to pick stupid fights instead of winning? Ask Demarcus Cousins and Sacramento.

• asimonetti88 - Oct 22, 2013 at 3:05 PM

“Get used to it, Laker fan”

Let’s see.

His name is “billsfanaddict”.

The Bills play in New York

MWP plays for the New York Knicks.

Someone has the Lakers on their brain.

• billsfanaddict - Oct 22, 2013 at 6:15 PM

i’ve never been called a Laker Fan before, that is an awesomely adorable guess.

@least asimonetti88 realized via reading my “deeply encoded” PBT s/n that I am from NYS [upstate] and a Knicks fan.

Again… chiiiiiill win-ston, go have a chamomile tea and a nap or something, youre getting really worked up ‘n just stabbing randomly in the dark. But, thanx for the entertainment.

• billsfanaddict - Oct 22, 2013 at 6:25 PM

…also, I don’t claim to think he said just 2 words. Read my original comment, which was slightly exaggerated/incorrect and probably is a couple words too long… but, also, way closer to what really happened than you think. Check the postgame interviews, the players who were out on that court dont quite share your interpretation either.

also… [i assumed you meant the Raptors were the crappy team, but, perhaps not, so...] who is it you think tried to pick the fight? B/C it sure looked like just a simple run-of-the-mill hard foul to me, that is, until TH started scowling/swinging and then immediately backing down below the US/Can border!

7. blackhercules718 - Oct 22, 2013 at 3:42 AM

This just in…..Ron Arrest suspended the first 10 games for that altercation

8. mannyicey - Oct 22, 2013 at 4:39 AM

I learned a long time ago that sometimes, it’s best to take up for yourself- even if you have to take a beat-down. I mean, who apologizes for being fouled? I never saw someone apologize just for being in the way of their opponent’s attempt to rebound the basketball.

“Sorry that I was in the way, sir. If I knew that it was you, I would have just handed the ball to you.” Wow!

9. davidly - Oct 22, 2013 at 5:06 AM

With “my bad” he was not apologizing for being fouled but saying sorry for even looking like he was thinking about starting something just because he was fouled. For those unfamiliar with MWP’s size, this shows you just how huge that guy is; dude’s a SG in a PF’s body.

At any rate, it looked to me like Hansbrough was thinking, “What the hell..” and then “Oh.”
    I’d be surprised if this hasn’t already GIF’d its way around the Uniweb.

10. 00maltliquor - Oct 22, 2013 at 5:27 AM

Tyler’s NEVER gonna live this down!!

11. 00maltliquor - Oct 22, 2013 at 5:38 AM

I can’t stop replaying this! I’ve never seen anything quite like it! He can no longer be called Psycho T, the nickname has to change.

I wish they had Mobb Deep’s Shook One’s playing in the background, that would be hilarious!

12. greenejoemean - Oct 22, 2013 at 6:26 AM

MWP backed down from Ben Wallace tho.

13. titansbro - Oct 22, 2013 at 6:50 AM

Is Artest really supposed to be that scary? I mean, the NBA would never let it get that far again anyway. I know he’s supposed to be looney (I think it’s all a ruse), but does that mean you should be scared of him? Especially in a controlled environment. I mean, he backed down from Ben Wallace. Granted, Ben Wallace is much more frightening though, especially when he had that outta control fro.

• misremembered72 - Oct 22, 2013 at 9:42 AM

Artest gave some chinese kid his $50,000 watch after playing him in pick up. I think he’s at least a bit genuinely wacky in the head

• casualcommenter - Oct 22, 2013 at 6:27 PM

James Harden thinks Ron Artest/Metta World Peace is supposed to be that scary.

14. kev86 - Oct 22, 2013 at 7:02 AM

Wimpy wimpy wimpy vs. hefty hefty hefty.

15. aschwartz2011 - Oct 22, 2013 at 8:42 AM

It’s the Canadian way to say sorry and offer a donut after someone knocks into you.

16. rodge1 - Oct 22, 2013 at 9:11 AM

Hansborough should’ve thrown a plastic cup at him.

17. metalhead65 - Oct 22, 2013 at 9:47 AM

wow as a pacers fan I am now sorry I ever rooted and stood up for this guy. what a wimp! time to change that nickname from psycho T to softee! even if you had got your ass kicked at least you would have been standing up for yourself now you look like a little bitch. please do not embarrass yourself any further by offering some lame excuse in your defense. we have seen the video and the only excuse is you are a pussy!

18. johngalt1783 - Oct 22, 2013 at 10:13 AM

MWP isn’t worth a suspension or getting tossed from a game.

Why would Hansbrough risk taking himself and MWP out of a game or even getting suspended over MWP?

If it had been someone who can “still” play and it was an important game and not preseason Hansbrough would have made sure the opposing player got tossed even if it meant getting tossed himself.

MWP ain’t worth getting tossed from a game for especially a preseason game.

19. vanhenge1234 - Oct 22, 2013 at 11:50 AM

Perhaps Hansbrough thought Artest threw “a corn” at him.

Tyler Hansbrough reads Chicken Little

20. xxbomberxx - Oct 22, 2013 at 7:02 PM

Ohh Tyler you did the right thing… trust me bro..
    Sincerly, James Hardens Skull

Why can't Lakers have a player-coach?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches