Oct 22, 2013, 3:02 PM EST
Derrick Williams is going to stay with the Timberwolves — the team is picking up his option for this season as expected, reports the Associated Press.
On the very surface this seems a simple and smart move — he started 56 games for the Wolves last season, averaging 12 points and 5.5 rebounds a game in just his second NBA season.
But dig just a little below the surface and a forest of questions shoot up about the former No. 2 overall pick and where he fits in with Minnesota.
Williams started all those games last season because Kevin Love was out (broken hand, twice) and when he played the four he played reasonably well — he had a PER of 14.5 at that spot, according to 82games.com. Not thrilling for a guy with high expectations, but not terrible.
Except, this season Love is back and taking up most of the minutes at the four spot. And for stretches of last season coach Rick Adelman preferred Dante Cunningham to back up Love over Williams.
With Chase Budinger out for an extended time at the three, maybe Williams can fight for minutes at that spot with Corey Brewer and Shabazz Muhammad. Except Williams has struggled at that position, last season he had a “send me to the D-League” level PER of 9.2 when playing the three.
Williams needs to become a more efficient scorer (he shot 43 percent overall last season and a pedestrian 33.2 percent from three) and play more consistent defense to earn more minutes. And to earn a decent next contract because Minnesota is likely going to let him test the free agent market.
- Derrick Rose expected to return in 4-6 weeks. In time for playoffs. 20
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Thursday: The Cavaliers we expected have arrived 17
- Report: George Karl controls Kings’ personnel, wants Ty Lawson, willing to move DeMarcus Cousins 29
- Paul George returns to practice with Pacers, could play in couple weeks 8
- Report: LeBron James wonders why he doesn’t get more MVP consideration 41
- Would Rajon Rondo leave the Mavericks for the Lakers? 63
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: The Spurs losing rodeo road trip a bad sign 14
- PBT Extra: What is future for Derrick Rose? Bulls? 13