Oct 22, 2013, 1:22 PM EDT
It’s a great barstool debate: Who do you want taking the final shot with the game on the line?
General Managers around the NBA say Kevin Durant.
For many years that question was one Kobe Bryant owned in the annual NBA.com GM survey, but for the second straight GMs picked the scoring machine out of Oklahoma City over him. This year 39.3 percent of GMs went with Durant, 32.1 percent with Kobe, while Carmelo Anthony and LeBron James each got 7.1 percent of the vote. (Ray Allen, Manu Ginobili, Dirk Nowitzki and Chris Paul each also got a vote… pray that the GM who would still give Ginobili the ball at the end of the game is not the one from your team.)
What do the stats say?
In the final 10 seconds of a game where their team was +/- three points, Durant was 0-of-5 last season but he did get to the free throw line for nine shots (hitting 8), while Kobe was 3-of-9 from the field and got to the stripe eight times (hitting 7). To throw the other guys in there, LeBron James was 4-of-10 from the field with four free throw attempts, while Carmelo was 0-of-4 with just two trips to the line.
The guy I would give the ball to? Joe Johnson of the Nets — 4-of-4 from the field plus he got to the line 8 times. He’s been clutch. But that Durant guy is still a good call.
- Blake Griffin said he knew Donald Sterling was racist, wasn’t really surprised by tape 0
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Chicago Bulls 3
- Tony Parker hits a back over-the-head halfcourt shot (VIDEO) 8
- Timberwolves ‘not necessarily in a rush’ to agree to contract extension with Ricky Rubio 16
- Andray Blatche signs deal to play in China next season 11
- Is Klay Thompson the best two-way shooting guard? Stephen Curry would ‘put him up against anybody.’ 18
- UPDATED Report: Timberwolves make push for Eric Bledsoe, Suns not interested in sign-and-trade talks 40
- LeBron James unveils latest signature shoe from Nike: The LEBRON 12 12