Oct 22, 2013, 1:56 PM EDT
Charlotte had the worst defense in the NBA last season giving up 108.9 points per 100 possessions, then this summer they went out and got Al Jefferson as their big free agent signing — a guy who admits that he’s not good on defense.
We all expect more of the same matador defense this season (ole!), but so far this preseason things have been different under new coach Steve Clifford. Very different. The Charlotte Observer had the stats.
As of Sunday, the Bobcats were giving up the fewest points per game in the NBA at 82.7. They’re the only one of 30 teams not to allow 90 or more points in any game, one of two teams (with Chicago) not to allow 100 or more. Their field-goal percentage defense (39.5 percent) is third-best in the NBA and they have committed the fewest personal fouls (17.3 per game) in the league.
Here are the caveats: it’s preseason, so take everything with a whole lot of salt, and second the Bobcats are doing well in transition defense and with that slowing the game down, which is part of the reason for the low per-game numbers.
That said, at least in the preseason they are defending better. The defense is more in a Spurs/Pacers mold of taking away the paint with a focus on not fouling, and while Charlotte is down a few rungs on the talent ladder from those teams — although Michael Kidd-Gilchrist should be a good defender — the strategy has them on the right track.
Come the regular season nobody sane expects to see the Bobcats in the top 10 in the league in defense, but if they can stay out of the bottom 10 Charlotte could win a respectable number of games this season (and screw up their lottery chances in the year of a deep draft, but that’s another story).
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 28
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 2
- Report: Kyrie Irving likely not back opening night, could be out until January 14
- Legendary Sixer, backboard-shattering dunker Darryl Dawkins dies at 58 14
- After Rio Olympics next summer, who takes over at Team USA coach? 8
- Kobe, Shaq discuss regrets over feud that ended their Lakers era 49
- NBA fines Clippers for attempting to circumvent salary cap with DeAndre Jordan 10
- The most overlooked – and maybe most significant – reason Carmelo Anthony won’t waive his no-trade clause this season 18