Oct 22, 2013, 1:56 PM EDT
Charlotte had the worst defense in the NBA last season giving up 108.9 points per 100 possessions, then this summer they went out and got Al Jefferson as their big free agent signing — a guy who admits that he’s not good on defense.
We all expect more of the same matador defense this season (ole!), but so far this preseason things have been different under new coach Steve Clifford. Very different. The Charlotte Observer had the stats.
As of Sunday, the Bobcats were giving up the fewest points per game in the NBA at 82.7. They’re the only one of 30 teams not to allow 90 or more points in any game, one of two teams (with Chicago) not to allow 100 or more. Their field-goal percentage defense (39.5 percent) is third-best in the NBA and they have committed the fewest personal fouls (17.3 per game) in the league.
Here are the caveats: it’s preseason, so take everything with a whole lot of salt, and second the Bobcats are doing well in transition defense and with that slowing the game down, which is part of the reason for the low per-game numbers.
That said, at least in the preseason they are defending better. The defense is more in a Spurs/Pacers mold of taking away the paint with a focus on not fouling, and while Charlotte is down a few rungs on the talent ladder from those teams — although Michael Kidd-Gilchrist should be a good defender — the strategy has them on the right track.
Come the regular season nobody sane expects to see the Bobcats in the top 10 in the league in defense, but if they can stay out of the bottom 10 Charlotte could win a respectable number of games this season (and screw up their lottery chances in the year of a deep draft, but that’s another story).
- Andray Blatche signs deal to play in China next season 0
- UPDATED Report: Timberwolves make push for Eric Bledsoe, Suns not interested in sign-and-trade talks 34
- LeBron James unveils latest signature shoe from Nike: The LEBRON 12 12
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Toronto Raptors 10
- Dwyane Wade credits David Stern’s dress code for improving his style 18
- Kevin Durant has grown close with Karl Malone 15
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Philadelphia 76ers 5
- Steve Kerr said Danny Ferry made mistake but is a “man of high character” 38