Oct 22, 2013, 5:14 PM EDT
Mike D’Antoni just wants to run his system his way again. He’s been mocked for that system by some fans who say it can’t win a ring, but two facts remain:
1) Back in Phoenix with the right personnel (a younger Steve Nash and Amar’e Stoudemire, plus Shawn Marion and others) they won 54 games or more four straight years and were a title contender, and now a whole lot of teams run sets and push tempo based on mimicking parts of that system;
2) Both in New York and Los Angeles management has not given players that fit his system well, which has led to disaster.
When D’Antoni came to Los Angeles he seemed to have delusional dreams of how a roster with Dwight Howard, Pau Gasol, and an aging Kobe Bryant and Steve Nash would fit that seven seconds or less style. He said the Lakers would score “110-115 points a game.”
“Yeah, well, I was on drugs back then,” Mike D’Antoni said Monday with a chuckle, referring to the pain medication he was taking while recovering from knee surgery. “My knee was hurting. Vicodin was killing me.”
The heavy dose of Vicodin is true, he’d just had a knee replacement and earned that.
“It won’t be crazy,” he said, “but we want to push it and get a nice pace. We want to get some easy buckets before the defense sets up, so we’ll be up in the top five probably in pace, but it won’t be breakneck speed.”
I still think the Lakers offense will have some good flow to it and be fine this year. That is not the end of the court that will be their undoing.
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 0
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 12
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 48
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 14