Chris Paul says he could retire “a little early” to spend time with family

Oct 22, 2013, 10:02 AM EST

Chris Paul, Andre Miller AP

Being a good father on an NBA schedule is not easy — the time and travel demands in season keep fathers away from home a lot.

Chris Paul has balanced that out by making pretty much every day “take your child to work day” — his son (as well as Matt Barnes son and others) has the run of the Clipper locker room. It makes for an different dynamic, but it works for them. It keeps Paul happy and that has been the goal of the Clippers.

This scenario could continue on for a while as CP3 is just 28 and signed a new five year, $107 million deal with the Clippers. However, in a fascinating and wide-ranging interview with HBO for Real Sports with Bryant Gumbel that will air Tuesday night, Paul says he might hang it up early just to spend time with little Chris. (Ben Golliver at The Point Forward has the transcript, as the interview is a collaboration with Sports Illustrated.)

“I love to play basketball more than anybody,” Paul said. “I’m serious, nobody loves to play basketball more than I do. But I could honestly see myself maybe stopping a little early or premature just because I hate to miss anything with my kids. I would hate for my kids to recall those special moments in their life, and I wasn’t there.”

Yes, he says that now and how he feels in five years could be different, it could depend a lot on his physical health and where the Clippers (or wherever he is playing) are in the NBA pecking order. Does he have a ring or two and feel satisfied will play into the equation as well.

But if one guy really would walk away early for family, it might be Paul. He’s a guy who is about loyalty and family — he married his high school sweetheart. He’s not your average NBA guy.

Watch the entire HBO interview, Paul covers a lot of ground, from how he doesn’t drink or get tattles, to how his grandfather was murdered at age 61 the day after he committed to play at Wake Forrest for college, so in his next high school game he scored 61 points in his honor.

1. shuttaman1990 - Oct 22, 2013 at 10:04 AM

He’s still a flopper.
    No chips for you Chris!

2. misremembered72 - Oct 22, 2013 at 10:30 AM

I’ve seen CP3 on a bunch of occasions give the shoes he wore in a game to a kid in the stands. he seems like a stand up guy

3. teke184 - Oct 22, 2013 at 11:09 AM

CP3 “retiring early” would be code for “his knees are shot”.

I know he is a devoted dad, but I have seen him dog it enough at times in new Orleans because his knees were killing him to figure his career will either be abbreviated or he will see a massive drop in athleticism on the court.

• daddyghi - Oct 23, 2013 at 6:37 AM

with his current weight, i wouldn’t be surprised if his knees kills him..

4. bougin89 - Oct 22, 2013 at 11:20 AM

Chris Paul scored 61 points in a high school game to honor his grandfather. After getting to 61 points he airballed a free throw on purpose and took himself out of the game. Pretty awesome story.

• deepizzaguy - Oct 22, 2013 at 4:14 PM

I remember those ESPN Sportscenter cretins kissing his ring because of that play. Missing a free throw on purpose and being called a hero? Welcome to Bizarro land.

• bougin89 - Oct 22, 2013 at 5:19 PM

You sound like you’d be really fun to hang out and watch basketball with.

/sarcasm

5. nolahxc - Oct 22, 2013 at 11:33 AM

CP was a great person in New Orleans and actually still does charity work around the city. It’s hard not to like the guy.

• jimeejohnson - Oct 22, 2013 at 5:46 PM

Except for jealous Lakers fans.

• imakcds - Oct 22, 2013 at 6:37 PM

BeeEss, JimeeeJ!
        Real Laker fans KNOW basketball, and appreciate him.
        It is YOUR comment that REEKS of Jealousy.

6. dohoangquan35 - Oct 22, 2013 at 12:18 PM

with all the personalities the man possesses, he can be a great community leader

• jimeejohnson - Oct 22, 2013 at 5:46 PM

At least he’s not some rich f-ck who made his money screwing others over.

7. socalgal64 - Oct 22, 2013 at 12:36 PM

LOL, give me a break. So did LeBron James.

• dohoangquan35 - Oct 22, 2013 at 12:44 PM

and your point is?

• socalgal64 - Oct 22, 2013 at 12:50 PM

Marrying your high school sweetheart says nothing about loyalty or family. It just says you married your high school sweetheart.

• redbaronx - Oct 22, 2013 at 1:23 PM

@socalgal64 – What does your comment about LeBron have to do with Chris Paul? Why does every idolizing level fan have to bring their star player into someone else’s conversation? I’m sure LeBron does charity work too etc, etc. So what? So what if LeBron married his high school sweetheart too. This isn’t a comparison.

This article was about Paul and him being a good dad to his SON, and the comments above were in general about Chris Pauls character and charity work. And I doubt you’d find many people who think LeBron is a high character guy for the way he left Cleveland in a diss to Cleveland fans as well as all NBA fans as if the universe revolved around him. You’d never see a guy like Tim Duncan or Chris Paul, guys that show great respect to the game and fans, dissing fans publicly the way LeBron has, talking about how great his life and he doesn’t care what “the little people” think. How anybody would want to compare LeBrons character to a guy like Chris Paul is beyond me!

• socalgal64 - Oct 22, 2013 at 1:59 PM

If you can’t read my comment and understand what it has to do with LeBron, as I even explained in my reply, then that’s your problem.

I didn’t say anything bad about Chris Paul. Not one single thing. And believe me when I tell you I am nowhere near an idolizing fan of LeBron James.

• redbaronx - Oct 23, 2013 at 1:25 PM

@socalgal64 – You made it about comparing LeBron’s personality vs. Paul. Uncalled for.

8. uscoach - Oct 22, 2013 at 1:29 PM

I had the opportunity to speak with Chris Paul one time. He’s a pretty awesome guy from my perspective. He carries his swagger inside.

9. redbaronx - Oct 22, 2013 at 1:31 PM

I really respect that he’s at least thinking about this. NBA players are basically away from their families for most of October to May every year, and really don’t have a lot of time to spend with kids in that period even when they’re home. I think a lot of people don’t realize how valuable their time with kids can be, and how much it matters to kids that you attend their games and the things they do. I see how my sister has turned out where my parents have been their for her 100%, and it really makes a difference.

Chris could probably walk away from the game in a few years, have enough money to last him a lifetime if he’s been smart with his money, and still be there for his kid. I know I’d really respect that if I was a kid and my parent made a decision like that.

• antistratfordian - Oct 22, 2013 at 5:06 PM

By the time his kid is 15 and acts like an a-hole all the time he’s going to wonder why he gave up peak years for that. ;)

• adamsjohn714 - Oct 23, 2013 at 1:36 AM

haha you have kids?

• redbaronx - Oct 23, 2013 at 1:27 PM

@antistratfordian – If his kid acts like you, I’m sure he will wonder why he gave up his peak years….

10. robyoung23 - Oct 22, 2013 at 2:16 PM

Class act

11. vi3tguy415 - Oct 22, 2013 at 5:10 PM

YOU GONNA BLOCK MY COMMENTS WITH SOME SIMPLE WRITTEN SENTENCES? WOW

12. jimeejohnson - Oct 22, 2013 at 5:44 PM

Kobe wouldn’t retire early for his family. It’s because he’s on the Lakers.

I think I’m lying!

13. eatitfanboy - Oct 22, 2013 at 5:51 PM

You can’t blame the guy. He just recently discovered that he has a long-lost twin brother separated at birth. It’s only natural that he would want to spend some time with him

• imakcds - Oct 22, 2013 at 6:38 PM

Yeh, CP3 wants to learn the insurance business…..

14. vi3tguy415 - Oct 22, 2013 at 6:39 PM

wow I wrote this and got blocked!!! ….COMEON KURT. DID I OFFEND YOU AND YOUR BOY? THIS IS ALL I WROTE.” who cares if ur about loyal and family. people care about what you can produce. look at that douche LEBRON. see that as an example. a TOOL can win a lot of people over with championships

15. vi3tguy415 - Oct 22, 2013 at 6:40 PM

everyone ..please do not call LeBron douche. kurt will delete your comments. OMG

Could Sixers be worst team in NBA history?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches