Oct 22, 2013, 10:02 AM EDT
Being a good father on an NBA schedule is not easy — the time and travel demands in season keep fathers away from home a lot.
Chris Paul has balanced that out by making pretty much every day “take your child to work day” — his son (as well as Matt Barnes son and others) has the run of the Clipper locker room. It makes for an different dynamic, but it works for them. It keeps Paul happy and that has been the goal of the Clippers.
This scenario could continue on for a while as CP3 is just 28 and signed a new five year, $107 million deal with the Clippers. However, in a fascinating and wide-ranging interview with HBO for Real Sports with Bryant Gumbel that will air Tuesday night, Paul says he might hang it up early just to spend time with little Chris. (Ben Golliver at The Point Forward has the transcript, as the interview is a collaboration with Sports Illustrated.)
“I love to play basketball more than anybody,” Paul said. “I’m serious, nobody loves to play basketball more than I do. But I could honestly see myself maybe stopping a little early or premature just because I hate to miss anything with my kids. I would hate for my kids to recall those special moments in their life, and I wasn’t there.”
Yes, he says that now and how he feels in five years could be different, it could depend a lot on his physical health and where the Clippers (or wherever he is playing) are in the NBA pecking order. Does he have a ring or two and feel satisfied will play into the equation as well.
But if one guy really would walk away early for family, it might be Paul. He’s a guy who is about loyalty and family — he married his high school sweetheart. He’s not your average NBA guy.
Watch the entire HBO interview, Paul covers a lot of ground, from how he doesn’t drink or get tattles, to how his grandfather was murdered at age 61 the day after he committed to play at Wake Forrest for college, so in his next high school game he scored 61 points in his honor.
- Kobe Bryant thinks he could physically play beyond contract extension 1
- Trey Burke, in wake of nude-photo scandal: ‘My judgments will be much better’ 11
- Report: Kevin Durant says he wants to play in 2016 Olympics (his free agent summer) 5
- Morris twins sign four-year extensions with Suns 11
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Washington Wizards 3
- Deron Williams fires back at Kobe: “If I’m 0-for-f******-9, I’m not shooting 20 more shots” 43
- LeBron James on running the Cavaliers offense: ‘This is Kyrie’s show’ 29