Oct 21, 2013, 7:01 PM EDT
Last time I checked the NBA rulebook, head butting an opposing player was still illegal.
The incident happened 26 seconds before halftime. Jrue Holiday had the ball in the right wing and makes a skip pass across the court level with the free throw line to Eric Gordon on the weak side. That is Thabeet’s rotation to get out on the shooter but Stiemsma sets a little pick, and as Thabeet runs into him his hands get up near Stiemsma’s face, and Stiemsma takes exception and pushes Thabeet.
Thabeet’s response is to go back at him, arms down, and head butt him.
It was the right call by the league, which can’t allow this kind of escalation of incidents.
So when the Thunder open the season in Utah Oct. 30 Thabeet will be hanging out at the hotel not getting paid.
- Report: NBA not actively investigating source of Luol Deng African comment 4
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Indiana Pacers 2
- Celtics owner: Rajon Rondo ‘super stubborn,’ harder than average to coach 19
- Bruce Bowen says blame for James Harden’s defense falls on McHale, Rockets 18
- NBA to review domestic violence policies in wake of NFL’s ugliness. It shouldn’t have taken that. 13
- Cavaliers lift ban on fan who ran onto court with LeBron James shirt 16
- Blake Griffin said he knew Donald Sterling was racist, wasn’t really surprised by tape 14
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Chicago Bulls 11