Oct 21, 2013, 7:01 PM EDT
Last time I checked the NBA rulebook, head butting an opposing player was still illegal.
The incident happened 26 seconds before halftime. Jrue Holiday had the ball in the right wing and makes a skip pass across the court level with the free throw line to Eric Gordon on the weak side. That is Thabeet’s rotation to get out on the shooter but Stiemsma sets a little pick, and as Thabeet runs into him his hands get up near Stiemsma’s face, and Stiemsma takes exception and pushes Thabeet.
Thabeet’s response is to go back at him, arms down, and head butt him.
It was the right call by the league, which can’t allow this kind of escalation of incidents.
So when the Thunder open the season in Utah Oct. 30 Thabeet will be hanging out at the hotel not getting paid.
- PBT Extra preview: Lakers, Celtics big name teams headed to lottery 8
- Could lottery reform be bad for small market teams? Sam Presti argues yes. 13
- LeBron James and his difficult-to-assess super teams 21
- Kevin Durant on return: “I’m not going to rush it all” 12
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 preview: Dallas Mavericks 6
- LeBron James: “(The Bulls) are a team that’s much better than us right now just off chemistry” 36
- Has Kobe Bryant cost the Lakers Dwight Howard, Carmelo Anthony, Paul George and others? 88
- Five favorites to win NBA 2014-15 MVP 22