Oct 21, 2013, 7:01 PM EDT
Last time I checked the NBA rulebook, head butting an opposing player was still illegal.
The incident happened 26 seconds before halftime. Jrue Holiday had the ball in the right wing and makes a skip pass across the court level with the free throw line to Eric Gordon on the weak side. That is Thabeet’s rotation to get out on the shooter but Stiemsma sets a little pick, and as Thabeet runs into him his hands get up near Stiemsma’s face, and Stiemsma takes exception and pushes Thabeet.
Thabeet’s response is to go back at him, arms down, and head butt him.
It was the right call by the league, which can’t allow this kind of escalation of incidents.
So when the Thunder open the season in Utah Oct. 30 Thabeet will be hanging out at the hotel not getting paid.
- Report: Kevin Durant considering Knicks, being recruited by Carmelo Anthony 42
- Markieff Morris: “My future will not be in Phoenix” 33
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 34
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 52
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 7
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18