Oct 21, 2013, 4:15 PM EST
We’re not expecting to see Russell Westbrook back on the court in an NBA game until around Thanksgiving at the earliest — he had knee surgery at the start of the month and was supposed to miss the first four to six weeks of the regular season.
So it was a bit of a surprise when Westbrook showed up to Thunder practice on Monday and ran through a few drills, as reported by the Oklahoman.
“There were bits and pieces where Russell participated in practice, so that was good,” coach Scott Brooks said. “It was good to get everybody out there, working together.”
“Oh, man. Russell today…” Reggie Jackson said when asked how Westbrook looked, cracking a sly smile. “It’s actually funny. My brother and his brother talk a little before games. His brother told mine that Russell’s probably bouncing better than ever. I had to see it to believe it. One of the dunks (today), he went up and looked like the old Russell, plus some, head at the rim. We’ll be happy when he gets back fully healthy, but it’s good to see him with a smile on his face, being about the team, bouncing back and happy to be back on the court.”
Westbrook was running drills, not taking full contact or making the kind of sharp cuts you see in a game. It’s going to take time. Still, this is a good sign for Thunder fans that Westbrook could be back earlier than expected and find his old form quickly.
That matters — in the West last year the difference between the No. 1 seed and the No. 5 seed was four games, just a few early season losses can make the playoff run that much harder. The earlier the return the better for OKC.
- Report: Heat shopping Joel Anthony, seeking depth behind Wade 0
- LeBron not wearing new LeBron 11s, Nike “redefining” shoe for him 6
- The Extra Pass: The shot that won’t fade away, and Thursday’s recaps 2
- Thursday night NBA Grades: Mike Woodson is allowed to exhale 7
- Knicks snap nine-game losing streak by crushing depleted Nets 13
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (43)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (40)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (38)