Oct 21, 2013, 4:15 PM EDT
We’re not expecting to see Russell Westbrook back on the court in an NBA game until around Thanksgiving at the earliest — he had knee surgery at the start of the month and was supposed to miss the first four to six weeks of the regular season.
So it was a bit of a surprise when Westbrook showed up to Thunder practice on Monday and ran through a few drills, as reported by the Oklahoman.
“There were bits and pieces where Russell participated in practice, so that was good,” coach Scott Brooks said. “It was good to get everybody out there, working together.”
“Oh, man. Russell today…” Reggie Jackson said when asked how Westbrook looked, cracking a sly smile. “It’s actually funny. My brother and his brother talk a little before games. His brother told mine that Russell’s probably bouncing better than ever. I had to see it to believe it. One of the dunks (today), he went up and looked like the old Russell, plus some, head at the rim. We’ll be happy when he gets back fully healthy, but it’s good to see him with a smile on his face, being about the team, bouncing back and happy to be back on the court.”
Westbrook was running drills, not taking full contact or making the kind of sharp cuts you see in a game. It’s going to take time. Still, this is a good sign for Thunder fans that Westbrook could be back earlier than expected and find his old form quickly.
That matters — in the West last year the difference between the No. 1 seed and the No. 5 seed was four games, just a few early season losses can make the playoff run that much harder. The earlier the return the better for OKC.
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 0
- Coach K on Rose: “Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back” 9
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 41
- Report: Sixers fighting against immediate changes to NBA Draft Lottery system 55
- Team USA going small ball, but how many bigs do they keep on the bench? 4
- Report: LeBron James more popular than he ever was with the Heat 14
- Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold 6
- Kevin Durant knows you’re talking about his free agency but isn’t giving many clues. He liked what LeBron did. 17