Oct 21, 2013, 4:15 PM EDT
We’re not expecting to see Russell Westbrook back on the court in an NBA game until around Thanksgiving at the earliest — he had knee surgery at the start of the month and was supposed to miss the first four to six weeks of the regular season.
So it was a bit of a surprise when Westbrook showed up to Thunder practice on Monday and ran through a few drills, as reported by the Oklahoman.
“There were bits and pieces where Russell participated in practice, so that was good,” coach Scott Brooks said. “It was good to get everybody out there, working together.”
“Oh, man. Russell today…” Reggie Jackson said when asked how Westbrook looked, cracking a sly smile. “It’s actually funny. My brother and his brother talk a little before games. His brother told mine that Russell’s probably bouncing better than ever. I had to see it to believe it. One of the dunks (today), he went up and looked like the old Russell, plus some, head at the rim. We’ll be happy when he gets back fully healthy, but it’s good to see him with a smile on his face, being about the team, bouncing back and happy to be back on the court.”
Westbrook was running drills, not taking full contact or making the kind of sharp cuts you see in a game. It’s going to take time. Still, this is a good sign for Thunder fans that Westbrook could be back earlier than expected and find his old form quickly.
That matters — in the West last year the difference between the No. 1 seed and the No. 5 seed was four games, just a few early season losses can make the playoff run that much harder. The earlier the return the better for OKC.
- Phil Jackson says Knicks wanted Goran Dragic at trade deadline. Because he’s such a triangle fit? 15
- Report: Cavaliers sign Matthew Dellavedova 8
- Heat trade Zoran Dragic, second-rounder to Celtics 11
- Report: Cavaliers trade Brendan Haywood, Mike Miller, two second-round picks to Portland 17
- Blake Griffin, Stephen Curry among latest big names headed to Team USA mini-camp 8
- Kyrie Irving off crutches, cleared by doctors to start working out 8
- Report: Becky Hammon gaining traction around the NBA as “serious” head-coaching candidate 43
- Gregg Popovich discusses three-point shot, changing roles for bigs in NBA 4