Oct 21, 2013, 8:59 PM EDT
Here is our regular look around the NBA — links to stories worth reading and notes to check out (stuff that did not get its own post here at PBT) — done in bullet point form. Because bloggers love bullet points.
• Luke Walton spent most of last season on the Cleveland bench (he got in 50 games) and, when he couldn’t get picked up for this season by anyone, landed a gig as a studio analyst on the Lakers broadcasts. Not bad. But he told ESPNLosAngeles.com what he really wants is to get back in the NBA.
“I want to play still,” said Walton, who has already met with the Lakers’ D-League affiliate, the L.A. D-Fenders, to discuss fulfilling a player development role that will allow him to work out with the team along with his TV duties. “I’ve trained all summer as if I was going to get a call. The call never came, so, I’m going to keep working out … If nothing happens this year, then I’ll probably admit that it’s officially over.”
• J.J. Redick, who has missed all of training camp with a bruised left quad, was back on the practice court for the Clippers Monday. Good sign for that team.
• In other news the Clippers waived Brandon Davies. Their roster is down to 15 now.
• The Clippers are going to be part of the NBA’s opening night — and TNT is going to broadcast its pre/post game show that night from the streets of New York City. Charles Barkley, Shaquille O’Neal, Kenny Smith and Ernie Johnson will broadcast live from Flatiron Plaza on opening night, part of a promotion with NBA 2K14.
• This is a fantastic look by Zach Harper at the impact of stretch fours on a team’s defense. Some are better than others. As you would expect LeBron James and Dirk Nowitizki fare well in the comparison, but Steve Novak and Metta World Peace do as well.
• Another story, and a good one, about the fall of former Georgetown star Victor Page.
• An entire tumblr dedicated to people yelling at Mario Chalmers.
• Utah Jazz rookie center Rudy Gobert may be a 7’1″ Frenchman, but that doesn’t mean he wouldn’t look good with some sparkly nail polish… that or he’s getting hazed by the team veterans. Probably the latter.
- Hey John Wall/Dion Waiters, Stephen Curry says Warriors have best backcourt. And he’s right. 41
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Charlotte Hornets 5
- Kobe Bryant plans to play in all 8 preseason games for Lakers 11
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Miami Heat 9
- Mike Miller points to him being amnestied as start of LeBron James leaving Miami 15
- Kobe Bryant thinks he could physically play beyond contract extension 14
- Trey Burke, in wake of nude-photo scandal: ‘My judgments will be much better’ 11
- Report: Kevin Durant says he wants to play in 2016 Olympics (his free agent summer) 5