Oct 21, 2013, 1:01 PM EDT
The Brooklyn Nets have almost a week off between preseason games (they played the Heat last Thursday and next up is Boston Wednesday), so it was hoped Deron Williams could return in that stretch. Not so much, apparently. He is still recovering from an ankle sprain and bone bruise suffered in a pre-camp workout.
The Nets first thought he would be back early in training camp if not when it started, but that ship has long sailed. His teammates are telling him to be patient, to get this right and not to come back until he is 100 percent, but with the start of the NBA season just over a week away, when will that be?
“I appreciate your concern for my health. I really do. Thank you for that,’’ Williams said while pedaling on a stationary bike, before playing in a Globetrotter-esque 5-on-0 portion of open practice at Barclays Center. He admitted full-contact is the next step for him, but he had no answers when that will come.
“I would definitely think you’d need to scrimmage before you go out and play an NBA game. I would think. I don’t know, I’m not sure. I would think you’d have to do that, so when that happens I’ll let you guys know.”
It is possible Williams gets in a full contact scrimmage or two and is ready to go opening night, but at this point I wouldn’t put money on that.
The Nets have a lot of new pieces to figure out how to fit together on the court and not having their best player ready to go through training camp can’t have helped that process. We’ll see if and how it hurts them the first couple weeks of the season, until they get him back and up to speed.
- Anthony Davis says James Harden should be MVP 9
- Stop judging J.J. Redick by his Duke days if you haven’t already 4
- Thunder say Kevin Durant underwent successful bone graft surgery, will return in 4-6 months 4
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Monday: DeMar DeRozan went Harden on Harden 12
- Derrick Rose returns to full-contact practice, Bulls return date still unknown 13
- Report: Sacramento consultant Chris Mullin to take St. John’s head coaching job 4
- PBT Extra: Taking twitter questions on Clippers, Michael Carter-Williams, more 7
- PBT’s NBA Power Rankings: Cream rising to top as playoffs near 28