Deron Williams has no idea when he’ll be back playing for Nets

Oct 21, 2013, 1:01 PM EDT

Deron Williams AP

The Brooklyn Nets have almost a week off between preseason games (they played the Heat last Thursday and next up is Boston Wednesday), so it was hoped Deron Williams could return in that stretch. Not so much, apparently. He is still recovering from an ankle sprain and bone bruise suffered in a pre-camp workout.

The Nets first thought he would be back early in training camp if not when it started, but that ship has long sailed. His teammates are telling him to be patient, to get this right and not to come back until he is 100 percent, but with the start of the NBA season just over a week away, when will that be?

Williams himself has no idea, as he told the New York Post.

“I appreciate your concern for my health. I really do. Thank you for that,’’ Williams said while pedaling on a stationary bike, before playing in a Globetrotter-esque 5-on-0 portion of open practice at Barclays Center. He admitted full-contact is the next step for him, but he had no answers when that will come.

“I would definitely think you’d need to scrimmage before you go out and play an NBA game. I would think. I don’t know, I’m not sure. I would think you’d have to do that, so when that happens I’ll let you guys know.”

It is possible Williams gets in a full contact scrimmage or two and is ready to go opening night, but at this point I wouldn’t put money on that.

The Nets have a lot of new pieces to figure out how to fit together on the court and not having their best player ready to go through training camp can’t have helped that process. We’ll see if and how it hurts them the first couple weeks of the season, until they get him back and up to speed.

1. kingwithringz - Oct 21, 2013 at 1:04 PM

Hard to believe this guy was the 2nd best PG in the league at one point.

• antistratfordian - Oct 21, 2013 at 8:34 PM

When was that?

• redbaronx - Oct 22, 2013 at 1:29 AM

@antistratfordian – Further proof that you know nothing……3 years ago the two top PG’s in the league (not named Steve Nash) was Deron and Paul.

• antistratfordian - Oct 22, 2013 at 2:21 AM

3 years ago? Nah. I’d go with guys like Paul, Rose (the MVP 3 seasons ago), and Nash long before I’d ever go with Deron Williams. I don’t think I’d even list Williams 4th. Give me Tony Parker ahead of Williams. Even Russell Westbrook from 3 seasons ago is preferable to Deron Williams from 3 seasons ago.

• redbaronx - Oct 22, 2013 at 12:53 PM

@antistratfordian – Again, you can yak all you want.

A) 3 years ago Rose still wasn’t established in that 1-2 slot. 2 years ago you’d have a case.
        B) Same deal for Westbrook.
        C) While I don’t disagree about Tony Parker, what the guy was saying was about Deron. Deron and Paul were the top 2 guards in the league 3 years ago. His comment was valid.

• antistratfordian - Oct 22, 2013 at 2:53 PM

He said Deron was a top 2 point guard at some point. Deron Williams has never been a top 2 point guard in this league in any year.

Rose and Westbrook were better than Deron Williams three years ago. I don’t care about public opinion.

• redbaronx - Oct 23, 2013 at 1:25 PM

@antistratfordian – You don’t care about reality either….

2. crownmethegoat - Oct 21, 2013 at 3:26 PM

Don’t u wish u had sloan and his system back D-Will?

3. jbeagles23 - Oct 21, 2013 at 4:06 PM

This just seems like the 2012 lakers

• eopanther8 - Oct 22, 2013 at 7:50 AM

Except the Nets actually have a bench will easily make the playoffs. But besides that, yeah just like the 2012 Lakers.

4. jayluv7979 - Oct 21, 2013 at 7:09 PM

He will suit up for the first game, this is just I dont want him to play in the pre season talk lol

5. obmig - Oct 21, 2013 at 7:15 PM

For some reason with him it always takes longer, and once he’s back it takes a while for him to look like himself again. They would be smart to let him wait as long as he needs, because at 100% he’s able to control a game with the best of them.

6. imakcds - Oct 22, 2013 at 6:58 PM

The Nets only go as far as Williams takes them.
    Better get him straight before bringing him back.

Will LeBron get booed Christmas Day in Miami?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches